British Speedway Forum

Birmingham 2014

Clearly Mr Morris isn't everyone's cup of tea!!!

The only person who seemingly thinks that is probably the person who's the main factor in him leaving Birmingham, probably the best manager in talking to the media, a good motivator and can spot half decent riders, what's not to like ?.

I think Alan Phillips should sell up, the path allegedly being presented for 2014 currently looks like one to a slow death for me, slipping into PL obscurity with tumbling crowd levels and interest following when people think where they were in 2013 and the PL doesn't turn out to be the low cost nirvana some seem to be imagining.

By Nigel Pearson

Brummie shocker as Morris walks out

15 Nov 2013 10:58 The Brummies boss has taken a swipe at events behind the scenes during the season, claiming it was a ‘miracle’ how the team stayed focused to finish top of the league.

Phil Morris last night quit Birmingham just a month after leading them to the Elite League Grand Final.

And the Brummies boss has taken a swipe at events behind the scenes during the season, claiming it was a ‘miracle’ how the team stayed focused to finish top of the league.

It means the hugely popular Welshman leaves Perry Barr after just one full season at the club and will raise big question marks about the structure of the Brummies in 2014.

And he’s also revealed how he quit mid-way through the season but was talked into staying.

“This is something I’ve been thinking about ever since the end of the season, there is no way I could face another season like it working under these conditions,’’ said Morris.

“During the course of the season I was verbally abused by a member of the club’s management during a TV broadcast at Perry Barr and I quit there and then – it was only Graham Drury (co-promoter) who talked me into seeing it through to the end of the season.

“I disagreed strongly with many decisions made by certain members of management, including the timing of the civic reception on the day of our Grand Final second leg with Poole, but this was ignored and went ahead. I couldn’t believe it happened that way.

“It also didn’t help with the riders not getting paid when they should have done and, even now, I am still owed for September and October. But it’s not about the money for me, it’s about professionalism. I warned them about problems with their website halfway through the season and this was ignored, now it’s suspended by the sport’s governing body.

“With everything going on behind the scenes it was a miracle the lads managed to stay focused and finish top of the league – it’s something I feel very proud of. I’m very disappointed in certain people and I would like to thank the supporters who have been brilliant to me. I feel sorry that this has happened but I simply cannot continue as I am a professional.

“I have enjoyed working with Graham Drury, Danny King has been a superb captain to work with and the riders were superb. I take my hat off to them all.

“I wish Birmingham all the very best for the future and the club will always be special to me.

‘‘Who knows, if things change there, I could even return one day.”

Feel totally embarrassed to support Birmingham currently considering some of the disgusting antics of some mentioned by Phil there, time for the owner to go IMO for the sake of the clubs reputation and future.

• Like 1

By Nigel Pearson
15 Nov 2013 10:58 The Brummies boss has taken a swipe at events behind the scenes during the season, claiming it was a ‘miracle’ how the team stayed focused to finish top of the league.

Phil Morris last night quit Birmingham just a month after leading them to the Elite League Grand Final.

And the Brummies boss has taken a swipe at events behind the scenes during the season, claiming it was a ‘miracle’ how the team stayed focused to finish top of the league.

It means the hugely popular Welshman leaves Perry Barr after just one full season at the club and will raise big question marks about the structure of the Brummies in 2014.

And he’s also revealed how he quit mid-way through the season but was talked into staying.

“This is something I’ve been thinking about ever since the end of the season, there is no way I could face another season like it working under these conditions,’’ said Morris.

“During the course of the season I was verbally abused by a member of the club’s management during a TV broadcast at Perry Barr and I quit there and then – it was only Graham Drury (co-promoter) who talked me into seeing it through to the end of the season.

“I disagreed strongly with many decisions made by certain members of management, including the timing of the civic reception on the day of our Grand Final second leg with Poole, but this was ignored and went ahead. I couldn’t believe it happened that way.

“It also didn’t help with the riders not getting paid when they should have done and, even now, I am still owed for September and October. But it’s not about the money for me, it’s about professionalism. I warned them about problems with their website halfway through the season and this was ignored, now it’s suspended by the sport’s governing body.

“With everything going on behind the scenes it was a miracle the lads managed to stay focused and finish top of the league – it’s something I feel very proud of. I’m very disappointed in certain people and I would like to thank the supporters who have been brilliant to me. I feel sorry that this has happened but I simply cannot continue as I am a professional.

“I have enjoyed working with Graham Drury, Danny King has been a superb captain to work with and the riders were superb. I take my hat off to them all.

“I wish Birmingham all the very best for the future and the club will always be special to me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Proof if it was needed on how professional he is. You were given no clue there were issues there! Not good for Birmingham, cos he was he one good thing about the place!
If only we could have him at Coventry........
Edited by Jacques

Two word's sum up the situation for me, they are ABSOLUTE SHAMBLES. For a club that finished Elite League runners up, its unbelieveable to find us in this postion :angry: . I dont blame Phil at all for resigning given whats been going on, it just seems like the club is in meltdown.

Look at whats happened this year, we had the Barker situation, riders not getting paid, the website getting suspended, BBC WM barred from covering home matches, the club almost not finishing the season and now the Team Manager who worked wonders to get us to the final walks out. Alan Phillips we need answers!! :angry: :angry:

Thanks Phil for everything this year, and best wishes for the future. :)

Edited by Brummie Kev
  • Like 2

I think Alan Phillips should sell up, the path allegedly being presented for 2014 currently looks like one to a slow death for me, slipping into PL obscurity with tumbling crowd levels and interest following when people think where they were in 2013 and the PL doesn't turn out to be the low cost nirvana some seem to be imagining.

The biggest problem i have for 2014 if we race and regardless of whether its Elite or Premier, is just who will want to ride for the Brummies given the riders and the team manager have not been paid on time this year!!

Just has tweet saying Alan Phillips will be on BBC WM's drivetime show about 16:20 to talk about the Phil Morris departure.

Edited by Brummie Kev
  • Like 1

Is Joe Mclaughlin still with Birmingham or has he left; with no website I can't tell?

He is still at Birmingham.

By Nigel Pearson

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Proof if it was needed on how professional he is. You were given no clue there were issues there! Not good for Birmingham, cos he was he one good thing about the place!
If only we could have him at Coventry........

If Pearson was any sort of a journo he would have got at least both sides of the story!!! Describing him as 'the hugely popular Welshman', is about as accurate as Pearson getting no complaints about his presenting style!!! :D:P

• Like 1

Two word's sum up the situation for me, they are ABSOLUTE SHAMBLES. For a club that finished Elite League runners up, its unbelieveable to find us in this postion :angry: . I dont blame Phil at all for resigning given whats been going on, it just seems like the club is in meltdown.

Look at whats happened this year, we had the Barker situation, riders not getting paid, the website getting suspended, BBC WM barred from covering home matches, the club almost not finishing the season and now the Team Manager who worked wonders to get us to the final walks out. Alan Phillips we need answers!! :angry: :angry:

Thanks Phil for everything this year, and best wishes for the future. :)

Add to that BK,the gagging of our announcer for comments which were too close for comfort,and 2 riders who couldn't wait to get away when season ended!!

• Like 1

BIRMINGHAM SPEEDWAY

MEDIA RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

BRUMMIES CONFIRM MORRIS DEPARTURE

Birmingham Brummies Speedway team have confirmed the departure of Team Manager Phil Morris from Perry Barr.

Morris emailed Brummies co-owners Chris Luty and Alan Phillips late on Thursday evening submitting his resignation with immediate effect having already spoken to the press before going to print.

It comes as Morris is widely anticipated to be offered the Great Britain team managers job at the BSPA`s annual conference in Coventry this weekend.

Selco Brummies managing director Alan Phillips said: I am surprised and disappointed with this news as Phil was to be an important member of this great club going forward and is highly regarded.

Phil is a very passionate person when it comes to speedway as am I and he has been clearly disappointed by some aspects during the season but on a personal note, Phil and I get on very well.

Airing dirty washing in public however is not the way I work so I will make no further comment other than to wish Phil all the best and extend the sincere thanks and best wishes from our great supporters.

I do hope that this will not detract from the magnificent season we have just enjoyed and look forward to moving forward.

Birmingham Speedway will issue a full Press Release on the BSPA conference on Tuesday 19th November.

Can't wait for Philips reply. Should be tasty

Could be, could be tasteless.

Let's look at the facts as already mentioned and known.

Riders not being paid on time

Pulling out of Barker deal

WM banned from PB

Team manager abused during live meeting

Team manager owed 2 months wages

Etc.

None of the above would appear to be the fault of Phil Morris.

If Alan Phillips does reply, it will be very interesting indeed.

Edited by OGT