British Speedway Forum

Birmingham 2014

Guest GiveusaB

Perhaps the late addition of Jack Lee shows that GD had no faith on the team he prepared or that this was always the plan.

Brum have got to take it as a positive and move on now

Well it certainly cant be a negative? because apart from folding, then things can only get better!!!

I'd be looking to ditch Kennett and Nermark and welcome Ashley Birks and any of the GP riders available ?

Guest GiveusaB

I'd say it's very bad news for Birmingham that they have lost Graham Drury. Surprised to read some of the reaction.

I think its because we're hoping that any kind of change will improve our dire situation? For all we know, it could be the kiss of death!?

And Phillips has the cheek to wonder why people still question and don't trust him, seems the schenanigans from 2013 are still not over and he has now sucessfully removed anyone with a clue of how to run a speedway club at all.

I've had enough now, we are on a course to oblivion with this guy, Phillips out! :mad:

I know GD had a tendency to rub some people up the wrong way, but he knew more what he was doing than the amatuer owner and OAP manager we are left with.

Edited by david2905

Guest GiveusaB

And Phillips has the cheek to wonder why people still question and don't trust him, seems the schenanigans from 2013 are still not over and he has now sucessfully removed anyone with a clue of how to run a speedway club at all.

I've had enough now, we are on a course to oblivion with this guy, Phillips out! :mad:

I know GD had a tendency to rub some people up the wrong way, but he knew more what he was doing than the amatuer owner and OAP manager we are left with.

You forgot the 'woeful' 1-5 too!!!

News that the Drurys have finally been turfed out of Birmingham speedway. Got to be good news in the long run.

They caused a lot of upset in the last couple of years it seems.

Such speculation, with no validation.

I am surprised they have left and even more surprised that they were planning to go at the end of the year.

Birmingham look like a sinking ship right now and if so this is very sad news. I hope those in control have clear plans for a way forward.

• Like 1

Never been a fan of Drury and he can certainly rub people up the wrong way, but he is an experienced speedway administrator with a proven track record, and I'd rather have that running my team than some newcomer coming in with money thinking he knows it all.

Now he's installing his son as co-promoter...where have we seen that before? Any Newport fans know?

• Like 5

Never been a fan of Drury and he can certainly rub people up the wrong way, but he is an experienced speedway administrator with a proven track record, and I'd rather have that running my team than some newcomer coming in with money thinking he knows it all.

Now he's installing his son as co-promoter...where have we seen that before? Any Newport fans know?

Yep, that's been my thought since I heard Charles Phillips was being interviewed for the post of co-promoter a short time ago....

I'll always be grateful to the Drury's for the good teams they put together in the PL days. That said, I think at EL level GD appears a bit of a fish out of water. I'm not sure his belligerence goes down well. As others have said though, he's an experienced speedway administrator, which is more than be said for those left. Phillips strikes me as being in over his head, his son coming in doesn't exactly inspire confidence, nepotism is rarely a wise business choice. Didn't work at Newport, still, at least there'd be nothing to gain by burning down the main stand - so at least that's safe.

• Like 5

I only met the bloke at the forum in the winter at perry barr and he seemed like he didnt care about what the fans thought about anything it was drurys way and that was it . It may have been on a budget but he was the one who has assembeled possibly the least competitive team in elite league history ....

Anyway time to move on lynn of Friday need a decent reserve to come in hopefully be some decent races but lynn will be to powerful overall

If only... :lol:

I met Graham several times when planning Phil Morris farewell meeting at Brum, both GD and his wife Denise were a pleasure to deal with and I can see why such an astute businessman as Tony Mole engaged Graham's services.

I think with Graham and Denise moving on just a few months after Phil quit is a great loss to the club and whilst some associated with the Brummies in an official capacity are rejoicing on social media today in the long term Birmingham Speedway will be a poorer place without the Drury's.

• Like 6

If the current Owners survive the season, I will be amazed, Inexperienced Owner in Phillips, now his son , NO new money, No new riders, all adds up to a very bleak season ahead for the Brummies, I really cant see anyone coming in either to financially support the strengthening of the Team, unless there is some Oil rich Oligark out there with money to burn. Alan Phillips strikes me as a bloke who is in over his head, and doesnt know how to get out of it.

• Like 2

If the current Owners survive the season, I will be amazed, Inexperienced Owner in Phillips, now his son , NO new money, No new riders, all adds up to a very bleak season ahead for the Brummies, I really cant see anyone coming in either to financially support the strengthening of the Team, unless there is some Oil rich Oligark out there with money to burn. Alan Phillips strikes me as a bloke who is in over his head, and doesnt know how to get out of it.

Hate to say it, but your summing up is worringly accurate IMO.

A couple of thoughts spring to mind. Phil Morris was always "Drury's man". Now Drury has gone, any more calls for "bring back Wizzer" etc, will be like whistling in the wind. A double blow if you like. Secondly, if the current team is to be strengthened now, who is the "speedway man" with the contacts, the gravitas and the nose for a good signing? Who knows, some money might be found, a new fairy godmother sponsor could come along, but who there now, has their finger on the pulse of the sport and would know how to spend that money on a good signing when they saw one?

As for the accusation of nepotism...for every Newport, there's a Kings Lynn too...Charles Phillips should be given a chance to prove himself.

A couple of thoughts spring to mind. Phil Morris was always "Drury's man". Now Drury has gone, any more calls for "bring back Wizzer" etc, will be like whistling in the wind. A double blow if you like. Secondly, if the current team is to be strengthened now, who is the "speedway man" with the contacts, the gravitas and the nose for a good signing? Who knows, some money might be found, a new fairy godmother sponsor could come along, but who there now, has their finger on the pulse of the sport and would know how to spend that money on a good signing when they saw one?

As for the accusation of nepotism...for every Newport, there's a Kings Lynn too...Charles Phillips should be given a chance to prove himself.

Yes, but as you say, who is the Speedway man, indeed who is the Commercial man, they have both either been got rid off or walked, so lets add up,Co Owner gone, Morris gone, Joe McLauglin (sorry if i spelt it wrong)gone, Mr & Mrs D gone, and the Team itself built on a Budget, and 4 salaries saved. In came Jack, now nothing against Jack but again I would guess (Cost Cutting), In came Charles again (little or no cost), Now we all know "You get what you pay for" and it seems to me, you are saying on one hand who do they have left, and on the other hand give them a chance, This set up doesnt need a chance, it needs something akin to a miracle. :wink: