British Speedway Forum

Birmingham 2014

Not sure 15mins action over a 120 minute period is a great attraction to youngsters in this digital age...

But nowadays they can play with their 'digital media' between heats!

I know loads more who go because they went with their parents & carried on the tradition with their kids which is what I did.

In those days kids wore school caps and short trousers and held hands. These are different times now. You have to break out of your romantic nostalgic little time-warp bubble.

In those days kids wore school caps and short trousers and held hands. These are different times now. You have to break out of your romantic nostalgic little time-warp bubble.

What the days when speedway tracks used to be full as opposed to the low levels they get now. I know times are different but one thing's for sure they certainly ain't better:-)

• Like 1

TBH I really can't think of anything else the promotion could do to increase attendances, I'd say everything has been tried by now with only short term success to show for it. I don't think the Birmingham public are that interested in speedway, the 21 year gap was just too damaging to the supporter base and now that some hardcore fans are walking you do wonder what the future holds for the club.

Meanwhile, a stone's throw away, a football club that's been playing some of the most awful football in recent memory (I know, I've been) is boasting the 8th highest attendances in the Premier league. So it's not as if people won't come out of the house, is it?

• Like 2

Meanwhile, a stone's throw away, a football club that's been playing some of the most awful football in recent memory (I know, I've been) is boasting the 8th highest attendances in the Premier league. So it's not as if people won't come out of the house, is it?

The people are there, the money is there. What hasn't been done is to persuade the people to part with their money at the speedway. Very strenuous efforts have been made, and a lot time spent on the matter, so it's not for want of trying. Maybe it has something to do with the quality of the product?

Birmingham can find a level in elite speedway by putting in the years . it would be fatal to go back to pl. speedway can no longer be for the mega buck chasers. there is mild security in the big city surely. let there be a passion again built up over perseverance .history in a modern era. where,s nermark announcement !!

TBH I really can't think of anything else the promotion could do to increase attendances, I'd say everything has been tried by now with only short term success to show for it. I don't think the Birmingham public are that interested in speedway, the 21 year gap was just too damaging to the supporter base and now that some hardcore fans are walking you do wonder what the future holds for the club.

Good post ! Cannot fault the Brummies promotion last season for the way they advertised and were commercially active sourcing new sponsorship. Aligning this with reduced admission,groupon etc I cannot see how they could have done anymore. Also with the planets lining themselves up with a relativity cheap team,a good home record,topping the regular league,a home semi final against their local rivals and a play off final against speedways best supported club last year was the time when money was to be made.Unfortunately as we know this was not the case with amongst other things riders and management not paid on time.Makes you wonder what will happen this year with a weakened product,a less successful team,one main investor rather than two,a new commercial manager and crucially no Phil Morris to hold it all together. Edited by New Science
  • Like 1

The people are there, the money is there. What hasn't been done is to persuade the people to part with their money at the speedway. Very strenuous efforts have been made, and a lot time spent on the matter, so it's not for want of trying. Maybe it has something to do with the quality of the product?

Maybe its a mix of product, value for money and facilities!! Gone are the days of expecting fans to pay whatever and not get the chance to sit, or at the very least stand under cover, if they wish. And that is often out of the hands of the speedway promotion - whichever club it is!!

Maybe its a mix of product, value for money and facilities!! Gone are the days of expecting fans to pay whatever and not get the chance to sit, or at the very least stand under cover, if they wish.

Have you actually been to Perry Barr?

Having a tie-up with Spearmint Rhino could be the way? Discounts for both venues and pep-up the start-line activities to begin wwith.

Having a tie-up with Spearmint Rhino could be the way? Discounts for both venues and pep-up the start-line activities to begin wwith.

I'd go for mud wrestling on the centre green when the grading's being done!

• Like 1

Yes - and if you'd quoted my whole post you would see I was talking about any club not only Birmingham!

Then why are you making this comment on the Birmingham thread? You can certainly watch seated and/or under cover at Perry Barr if you want.

Why do you need cover anyway ? I stand on small turn 4 stand no roof generally if it rains there's no racing... Pb has decent facilities bar -get a drink no problem (bit pricey but gd has explained that one out of pb hands)

Toilets - fine clean hand dryer needs looking at

Food - not the greatest selection but ok and very pricey once again pb can't do anything on prices..

Watching - can stand on 3 bends only turn 1 under cover . When it has been cold in the past my dad has gone inside upstairs sat in the warm and watched no problems you just don't get the smell in there we all love...

Pit viewing - very poor I love going somewhere like cov and standing above the pits great for the kids to get a viewing there too.. I know pb is like most in this case..

Parking - fine with one stop across the road you will never be more than 5 minutes away walking

That's my opinion anyway I know people moan about the viewing a lot but I think it's fine for me....

Sorry for those who don't know when graham drury had his fans forum one of the questions asked was about the high cost at the bar means people are less likely to stay after for a drink as it is roughly a pound a pint more expensive than most pubs... Gd acknowledged this was a problem the because the people who own pb also own other tracks some of which are in London set the prices the same for all there tracks with no room for movement and as much as the manager of pb would like to price drop occasionally for promotions etc he is unable too...

Although gd was very quick to point out that the staff and management at pb have been brilliant with the brummies and help out as much as they can..

Why do you need cover anyway ? I stand on small turn 4 stand no roof generally if it rains there's no racing... Pb has decent facilities bar -get a drink no problem (bit pricey but gd has explained that one out of pb hands)

Toilets - fine clean hand dryer needs looking at

Food - not the greatest selection but ok and very pricey once again pb can't do anything on prices..

Watching - can stand on 3 bends only turn 1 under cover . When it has been cold in the past my dad has gone inside upstairs sat in the warm and watched no problems you just don't get the smell in there we all love...

Pit viewing - very poor I love going somewhere like cov and standing above the pits great for the kids to get a viewing there too.. I know pb is like most in this case..

Parking - fine with one stop across the road you will never be more than 5 minutes away walking

That's my opinion anyway I know people moan about the viewing a lot but I think it's fine for me....

Sorry for those who don't know when graham drury had his fans forum one of the questions asked was about the high cost at the bar means people are less likely to stay after for a drink as it is roughly a pound a pint more expensive than most pubs... Gd acknowledged this was a problem the because the people who own pb also own other tracks some of which are in London set the prices the same for all there tracks with no room for movement and as much as the manager of pb would like to price drop occasionally for promotions etc he is unable too...

Although gd was very quick to point out that the staff and management at pb have been brilliant with the brummies and help out as much as they can..

As a Speedway supporter who attends Perry Barr a few times a season & NOT a brummies fan , in my opinion its not bad at all . Plently of parking only 5 mins away , food as good as most tracks & The local press always carrying stories & offers . To be honest I don't think any other promotion worked harder to get supporters through the gates last season !

All the promotions in the world will be worthless unless the teams up to scratch at home, this is the most crucial part of getting people in and is the one that's lacking I fear, in the relentless quest for budgetary constraint, I fear we have gone from one extreme to the other and produced a team that looks woefully lacking.

Hope I'm wrong, but I think seeing what we've had to played with and who we've signed as a result, with hindsight, Mr Phillips might have been better to accept Tony Mole's offer earlier in the winter, the impression I'm getting is the budget we're working to is impractically low for the EL, and as mentioned earlier the PL is not the answer either.

Back in the day (60 years ago :sad: ) the pits were on the first bend. However, when the track was built in 2006, the council insisted on them being moved for noise reasons. You're right about Coventry - the one good thing about the place!