British Speedway Forum

Birmingham 2014

Once again its only Morris' version of events in the SS!! Just saying.

Normally at least 2 sides to every story, although in this case it seems like several!!

Great shame for all the Brummie fans.

It is a great shame for Brummie fans; I well remember the excitement of the opening night. They deserve better than this shenanigans!

I do think it is fairly clear that Morris was not the problem. There are always two sides to every story but it is clear that a number of the ex and soon to be ex-management/owners at Birmingham are challenged in terms of their interpersonal skills and/or understanding what is and what isn't appropriate behaviour. A bit like most speedway clubs then!

• Like 2

Wonder if the Drury's are staying and who is coming in.

They'll have to be paid either way so it makes no sense to get rid. And there's no way Alan Phillips can represent the club on his own. He needs Graham's experience now more than ever.

Plus no matter what anyone thinks of Graham Drury he seems to be the only person at the club who hasn't had a bad word said about him these last few weeks.

• Like 1

They'll have to be paid either way so it makes no sense to get rid. And there's no way Alan Phillips can represent the club on his own. He needs Graham's experience now more than ever.

Plus no matter what anyone thinks of Graham Drury he seems to be the only person at the club who hasn't had a bad word said about him these last few weeks.

Spot on TOB,GD has only ever had the best interests for Birmingham Speedway,something which he quotes himself very regularly when doing interviews,press releases etc.

• Like 1

It is amazing really as i hear many have a bad word to say about Drury usually!

However think it is clear the 2 guys at the top have caused any fall out so the blame can really only be aimed one way.

Surely the rest of the fall out stems right from the top.

I alluded to this in an earlier post but no one bit. :wink:

But serious if there is to be a DOOMSDAY SCENARIO for Birmingham Speedway and no one comes forward to take ownership of the club, along with no commercial deals and no riders signed up in the next few weeks.

Would there be the possibility of speedway continuing at Perry Barr next year by getting The Heathens to ride a season at Perry Barr in the elite league. It would give the Heathens a home and the possibility of running at Elite league level with maybe Hancock in the team along with the hopeful TV coverage. Thus boosting their profile and showing what Dudley/Sandwell council are missing out on. After all there is very little difference in the distance from Cradley Heath to Perry Barr or Monmore Green. Even if you don’t have a car the train service could get you to and from the track.

As for Birmingham well it would at least keep speedway in the city for a year till hopefully they can get themselves sorted out and a few open/challenge meetings could be staged during the 2014 season carrying the Birmingham speedway name.

I feel a lot of Heathens fans would love a crack at the top flight, if only for the publicity it will bring to highlight there fight for a home in Dudley/Sandwell. And Birmingham fans will still have the chance to see speedway at Perry Barr, OK it’s not the Brummies but I’m guessing a lot who attend Perry Barr are now the hardcore speedway fans and would still attend often during the season just to watch the sport. This could offset the much higher running cost of the Heathens being at a higher level by getting bigger crowds of both Brummie and Heatherns fans added to that alot of local away fans during the season.

Yes it would be a massive gamble to take Birmingham out for a year but it could be a way to keep speedway in the city and that has to be better than nothing. Also a massive gamble for the Heatherns but how much longer can a team with that support be in the 3rd division. it might just benefit both clubs.

anyway back to the :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: it is Friday night :D

Edited by Pirio Barre

It is such a shame and Birmingham deserve better that what they are going through at the moment. Just hope that things get sorted out before the season starts next year.

Phil Morris did a great job with the Brummies last year and it was a shame to see him go when he managed to keep the team going and winning the league. Still say that the team that tops the league actually win, without the playoffs.

They struggle all year to win the league then loose all the honour of the win with they teanm that win the playoffs it is all wrong.

Hope Phil finds another team if that is what he wants to do or will he try his best to lead team GB, but that must be the hardest challenge in the world. Not much hope for any manager of team GB to make them look good against the rest of the worlds teams though is it.

Best of Luck to the Brummies this coming year and best of luck to Phil what ever route he takes.

like this one

1 Poole Pirates (Runners Up) 32 16 0 0 0 5 2 0 4 5 1667 1278 78

2 Wolverhampton Wolves 31 14 1 0 0 0 3 1 3 9 1472 1392 58

3 Peterborough Panthers 32 12 2 0 2 2 1 0 2 11 1495 1464 53

4 Coventry Bees (Champions) 32 9 2 1 4 2 4 0 0 10 1469 1475 52

5 Lakeside Hammers 32 11 2 1 2 1 1 1 1 12 1447 1503 48

6 Swindon Robins 31 8 2 0 6 1 2 2 2 8 1436 1438 44

7 Eastbourne Eagles 32 9 3 2 2 0 1 0 3 12 1406 1533 41

8 Belle Vue Aces 32 10 2 1 3 0 1 0 2 13 1413 1539 40

9 Ipswich Witches 32 4 5 0 7 0 0 1 2 13 1386 1569 26

A particle favourite of mine ;)

What goes around comes around, I guess ;)

Edited by Pirio Barre
  • Like 1

I alluded to this in an earlier post but no one bit. :wink:

But serious if there is to be a DOOMSDAY SCENARIO for Birmingham Speedway and no one comes forward to take ownership of the club, along with no commercial deals and no riders signed up in the next few weeks.

Would there be the possibility of speedway continuing at Perry Barr next year by getting The Heathens to ride a season at Perry Barr in the elite league. It would give the Heathens a home and the possibility of running at Elite league level with maybe Hancock in the team along with the hopeful TV coverage. Thus boosting their profile and showing what Dudley/Sandwell council are missing out on. After all there is very little difference in the distance from Cradley Heath to Perry Barr or Monmore Green. Even if you don’t have a car the train service could get you to and from the track.

As for Birmingham well it would at least keep speedway in the city for a year till hopefully they can get themselves sorted out and a few open/challenge meetings could be staged during the 2014 season carrying the Birmingham speedway name.

I feel a lot of Heathens fans would love a crack at the top flight, if only for the publicity it will bring to highlight there fight for a home in Dudley/Sandwell. And Birmingham fans will still have the chance to see speedway at Perry Barr, OK it’s not the Brummies but I’m guessing a lot who attend Perry Barr are now the hardcore speedway fans and would still attend often during the season just to watch the sport. This could offset the much higher running cost of the Heathens being at a higher level by getting bigger crowds of both Brummie and Heatherns fans added to that alot of local away fans during the season.

Yes it would be a massive gamble to take Birmingham out for a year but it could be a way to keep speedway in the city and that has to be better than nothing. Also a massive gamble for the Heatherns but how much longer can a team with that support be in the 3rd division. it might just benefit both clubs.

anyway back to the :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: it is Friday night :D

Just how many Brummie supporters do you think are going to turn up to see one there rivals race on our track, because they cant get there own.

Its one hell a huge jump from NL to EL, talk sense man.

Just how many Brummie supporters do you think are going to turn up to see one there rivals race on our track, because they cant get there own.

about as many who turned up to support Birmingham in 1985/1986 not that many but true speedway fans

Its one hell a huge jump from NL to EL, talk sense man.

really when there gates are already bigger then many in the elite league

Any ways i've been on the pop since 4pm :drink: got a long trip to BournEmouth (on public transport) in the morning not looking foward to it, so i might not be talking sence ;) #THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO DCFC

5273977-large.jpg

What ever happens Brummies at least you'll team will never turn up looking like that, little wonder i'm :drink: :drink:

Edited by Pirio Barre

If Dudley did ride in the EL at PB, it probably wouldn't make that much difference how many Brum fans turned up. Ok Peter, it may be a big jump from NL to EL on the face of it, but is it really? Heathens would be getting sole use of an EL class facility so that's no problem, the only stumbling block I can see is investment in the team, but if they can get Joe Mc on board, who knows, that may not be too much of a problem. I actually agree with Pirio Baby, it perhaps could work.

Then again, I've been hitting The 1664s tonight!

Edited by OGT

If Dudley did ride in the EL at PB,

Don’t think the “Dudley Heathens” could run at PB but an Anonymous named team “THE HEATHENS” might.

my dealer's just delived the "coke" so i'll be off line or is that on line for a while, catch u later :blink:

Edited by Pirio Barre

Don’t think the “Dudley Heathens” could run at PB but an Anonymous named team “THE HEATHENS” might.

my dealer's just delived the "coke" so i'll be off line or is that on line for a while, catch u later :blink:

I hope that's to go with your JD, mate!

Never did Lemmy any harm.........................?