British Speedway Forum

Rebels 2014

puzzling quote in an article written by a Helen Kennedy in this weeks Star. Talking about Somerset's opening match challenges against Plymouth. Gary is quoted as saying "it will see an early return of Kyle Newman which should provide added spice to the matches and with Kyle lining up for The Devils it will give an additional edge no doubt."

No mention of Alex Davies, very strange, perhaps it's his visa problem!

Alex Davies has not been able to get a visa. Ashley Taylor has said this in the paper.

If I read that correctly the BSPA can sanction his Tier 5 visa as a temporary worker from 1st March to 31st Oct?

Although for whatever reason they seem unlikely to do so - if as mentioned on this thread, it's too expensive then maybe the rider should stump up the money themselves otherwise it's going to be a long old year for them sat back in Australia.

Although for whatever reason they seem unlikely to do so - if as mentioned on this thread, it's too expensive then maybe the rider should stump up the money themselves otherwise it's going to be a long old year for them sat back in Australia.

The figure suggested was approx £400 per application which in itself seems reasonable.

The significant expense was that to switch between employers on this type of visa meant paying this fee each time (so potentially each meeting)

If this was correct then it would make riding for more than one team impractical.

The figure suggested was approx £400 per application which in itself seems reasonable.

The significant expense was that to switch between employers on this type of visa meant paying this fee each time (so potentially each meeting)

If this was correct then it would make riding for more than one team impractical.

Leicester best get looking for a new no.1 in which case.

• Like 1

Leicester best get looking for a new no.1 in which case.

It could all be a load of bull though!

I hope it is sorted satisfactorily. The PL will be the poorer fot it if not.

• Like 1

Doyle reckons he is still going to be busy according to his twitter last night , saying he can still ride in all parts of Europe just not the UK

Doyle reckons he is still going to be busy according to his twitter last night , saying he can still ride in all parts of Europe just not the UK

From his Twitter Account

@SpeedwayGP I would like to clear 1 thing up. I will still be able to ride Poland Denmark swedan anywhere in Europe except uk.

I still maintain there's nothing stopping him riding here on a Tier 5 other than the BSPA. So perhaps they'd care to comment?

Doing that purely opens a massive can of worms. The BSPA would then be the sponsor, and take personal and financial responsibility for all riders who would also join Doyle going for a Tier 5 permit.

In addition, as it has been indicated earlier in this thread, a rider could not ride for two teams, guest or D/U, as it would appear he would be riding for another team, and therefore might have to have a new permit each time he changes from his primary team. I have doubts about that, but for it to happen, that would imply, I think, that the BSPA would have to take on the role of primary sponsor, something I can understand they would NOT entertain at any cost.

It really does come down to a foreign rider needing to know the rules of entry, and planning ahead to comply with the rules.

• Like 1

Don't think the Bspa would be his sponsor, they'd just be endorsing his application.... Looking at the criteria he seems to fit most of it, maybe apart from being established at the highest level of his field if you view that as the GP's.

It would open a can of worms though and set a president IMO... It's another downside of speedway promotions governing themselves maybe??....

It could all be a load of bull though!

But you don't know that for sure though, do you...

Would be amazed if Nick Morris rides for the Rebels now.

Why?

TBH I asked many moons ago on this thread re riding though admittedly not residing in other countries if JD can ride in other EU countries it makes a mockery of EU law as far as I'm concerned.

If the Australian team were invited to a Test Series in GB could JD and others in the same boat ride for them.

I would think yes as they would probably be given a temporary visa that visiting sports teams apply for.

• Like 1

Don't think the Bspa would be his sponsor, they'd just be endorsing his application.... Looking at the criteria he seems to fit most of it, maybe apart from being established at the highest level of his field if you view that as the GP's.

It would open a can of worms though and set a president IMO... It's another downside of speedway promotions governing themselves maybe??....

Probably

Probably the reason for not endorsing it.

Possibly

In PM's with Pirate Nick, and wondered why other Aussie riders don't change their renewal date to a date such as end of February, the same as Tungate has. He is currently riding in OZ but should arrive in February in time to renew his visa. OZ riders only know sometime after the AGM that they are hired for the next season so give it a bit of leeway and then apply.

Edited by Tsunami

The BSPA would then be the sponsor, and take personal and financial responsibility for all riders who would also join Doyle going for a Tier 5 permit.

The UK Border Agency conditions for a T5 visa do not require the BSPA to be the primary sponsor, just that they endorse the primary sponsor, confirming that the applicant meets the Governing bodies requirements to give that endorsement.

As Doyle has clearly had the BSPA's blessing under previous T2 rules, I would asked what's changed, and why won't they give their support under T5 rules ?

UK BORDER AGENCY - Before assigning your certificate of sponsorship in the sporting sub-category, your sponsor must have an endorsement for you from the governing body for your sport, which confirms you meet the governing body's requirements to give their endorsement. The governing body must be recognised by us.

a rider could not ride for two teams, guest or D/U, as it would appear he would be riding for another team, and therefore might have to have a new permit each time he changes from his primary team.........I have doubts about that, but for it to happen, that would imply, I think, that the BSPA would have to take on the role of primary sponsor.

Again not quite true, a T5 visa allows the applicant to work 20 hours a week in an extra job in the same sector as that job that their certificate of sponsorship is for (something that would cover Doyle's activities with Leicester. I would guess that the only role the BSPA would be asked to do is monitor that, so once again I would ask why they wouldn't do that

UK BORDER AGENCY - You can do extra work (supplementary work) to the job that you have a certificate of sponsorship for if:

• it is in the same sector at the same level as the job that your certificate of sponsorship is for or in a job on the shortage occupation list;
  • the work is no more than 20 hours a week; and
  • the work is outside the working hours that the certificate of sponsorship is for.

It really does come down to a foreign rider needing to know the rules of entry, and planning ahead to comply with the rules.

I would suggest that it's not the riders that need to know the rules, but the powers that be. It took me 5 minutes to find out what is required of the governing body, and according to the border agency rules its clearly not the role of primary sponsor, nor does it involve them incurring massive cost. At most they would only be required to monitor the number of hours a rider worked in the extra work, and ensure it didn't go beyond 20 hours a week......the cost of this is a few minutes work per rider each week, for someone with a spread sheet.

Or maybe cost is just an excuse, and not the real issue with the BSPA, maybe they have other reasons for not supporting T5 visa for Jason Doyle and the other Australians who find themselves in a similar position, but until they tell us we'll never know.

Answers on a postcard please.

Edited by womble53
  • Like 4