British Speedway Forum

Rebels 2014

Like to see this correspondence that Somerset and Kurtz senior state confirms Kurtz was allowed to ride in the Danish Elite League during 2013 and then ride in the PL in 2014 on a 3.

I'd be very surprised if it exists. It will be the old 'we spoke to some guy on the phone who said yeah that's fine'.

If it was verbal only, then that shows total naivety and suggests maybe Kurtz needs to change his advisers.

Thing is, if the decision for the 3 average was so certain, why did Garry May keep checking on this decision during the season. Probably could not believe his luck at the first indication of a 3, and kept checking cos he didn't believe it either.

Still think your explanation of a couple of days, is spot on. (just don't tell Starman)

• Like 1

Gary May says the deciding factor against Nick was the number of matches he would miss, but that must have been taken into account and allowed for when he was signed. The cheer that went up in the club house when Nick walked through the door on the evening the team were announced showed what a popular rider he is.

If Brady could not be accommodated on a 3 point average then it is he who should be out of the team not Nick. This makes Somerset a lot weaker as Aspgren is not the same consistent rider Nick was home and away. Brady will now start in the main body of the team on tracks he has never ridden.

In 2014 we are now going to have the dubious pleasure of watching Nick, Josh, Alex, and Kyle riding against us, I have never been an Olly Allen fan and now with Aspgren we have two Rye House rejects.

I don't care about all the politics and what's going on behind the scenes, I want to pay my money to support an exciting team with riders I like, and I don't want to see them racing against us. Fans want continuity, it's one of the reasons Mrs OT stopped going to speedway as all her favourite riders disappeared after one season. Speedway is a mess and I have decided to put in the reject bin and spend my money on something less frustrating.

• Like 1

I have read most of the thoughts on this episode and my first thought was this has nothing to do with Denmark and more to do with someone stopping Somerset from getting young Brady on a false starting average.

I wouldn't mind betting if he was starting for Edinburgh or Newcastle he would be on a 3.00.

What team do the 2 posters who like that post support in the top league?.

Say's it all really.

Good post Oldtimer. Fully understand your feelings. Not sure Rebels fans will see such an exciting bunch of riders as the title winning team again for some time. Releasing Morris, Newman and Davies, the heart beat of the team, for me, is a big mistake. All three were totally committed to Somerset and were instrumental in a brilliant team spirit.

Not sure the trip to the OTA will be as attractive to me next season.

I have read most of the thoughts on this episode and my first thought was this has nothing to do with Denmark and more to do with someone stopping Somerset from getting young Brady on a false starting average.

I wouldn't mind betting if he was starting for Edinburgh or Newcastle he would be on a 3.00.

why do you single out those 2 clubs??...

Fans from Ipswich, berwick, scunny, worky have all said it is wrong, which it is, but don't let facts cloud ones judgement.

Edited by Arson fire
  • Like 5

What a load of absolute Tosh. Newcastle asked the Management Committee for several decisions last year(like moving the Berwick match when Lindgren was away) and were turned down flat.

Try getting your facts right before throwing pathetic allegations at other clubs.

What an absolute mess this appears to have turned into. Somerset had over the reason few years built up a massive reputation as a force to be reckoned with, ruthless in decision making, a very popular club to ride for and all round a professional outfit - this however appears nothing short of amateur on both my clubs point of view and also the BSPA - I haven't looked into the rules fully but it appears there's a big mistake being made, and the undefendable can not be defended.

I along with Oldtimer am absolutely gutted to see Nick Morris released. I bigged him up when he was signed last year that he would be the one to win us the league title, and after a slow start became immense at home and our completely solid away from home. By far the most entertaining and it's nothing short of a disaster to see him released.

On a side note, don't take Starman's opinions as a representation of the average Somerset fan.

• Like 3

What an absolute mess this appears to have turned into. Somerset had over the reason few years built up a massive reputation as a force to be reckoned with, ruthless in decision making, a very popular club to ride for and all round a professional outfit - this however appears nothing short of amateur on both my clubs point of view and also the BSPA - I haven't looked into the rules fully but it appears there's a big mistake being made, and the undefendable can not be defended.

I along with Oldtimer am absolutely gutted to see Nick Morris released. I bigged him up when he was signed last year that he would be the one to win us the league title, and after a slow start became immense at home and our completely solid away from home. By far the most entertaining and it's nothing short of a disaster to see him released.

On a side note, don't take Starman's opinions as a representation of the average Somerset fan.

The thing that hacks me off is that Gary had a format that he wanted to follow and that has now completely gone pear shaped. We now dont have any particular format other than 'disaster'. 2 from 7 is hardly risk reduction. Keep you fingers, toes and whatever else you can cross, crossed that it all pans out sucessfully. I do sympathise with Oldtimers viewpoint too.

Edited by Willowman

why does he need to be proven here? he has rode in denmark that is proof enough

No..

Unfortunately, although i would have Nick in my team tomorrow, overall i would say the whole team won you the league.. Now, what does this sentance supposed to mean?

starmans not average anything.

Nope, im better than average..

Your'e such a popular chap starry..... :D

Yeh i know, im so chuffed about it i could crush a Grape.. :D

• Like 2

Thing is, if the decision for the 3 average was so certain, why did Garry May keep checking on this decision during the season. Probably could not believe his luck at the first indication of a 3, and kept checking cos he didn't believe it either.

Still think your explanation of a couple of days, is spot on. (just don't tell Starman)

if rules state a 7.00,,, why should he come in on anything less ?

the rules is the rules,,, but we know, it's only illegal if you get caught,,, and in this case I think Somerset have been, lol