British Speedway Forum

Birmingham V Poole Grand Final 2nd Leg

Curse of Birmingham number 1 again !

Smolinski has been dog poor since he moved into that position, as was king, Harris, Doyle .

Hardly showing as a 2014 GP star at the moment - looks more like ales dryml !

It's not a curse .. Its called building a team with no genuine number 1!

Smolinski will just be a make up number in the 2014 SGP - waste of a good spot that could have gone to a hard decent hungry youngster..

• Like 1

I thought the Brummie promoter said they had 5 number 1's?

Top end strength V Strength in depth? I think Matt Ford has proved that top end strength is always going to be better.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 1

Still think the place will be packed out next Monday. Brum fans won't desert their team at the biggest meeting in their clubs history, regardless of whether they secure the title or not. Wasn't Swindon still packed in 2009 when Wolves beat them fairly well in the first leg?

Pirates will also be bringing up a lot of fans. It's the first time since the playoffs started that Poole have to travel to lift the title and many will want to see this happen.

I expect Brum to come back at us hard and show some real fighting spirit. They didn't do themselves any justice last night and were completely blown away by a rampant Poole team. They will want to show everyone why the finished top of the league. A huge crowd will also help ease the well publiced financial burden the Brum club are experiencing and packed terraces will certainly help balance the books and relieve the monetary strain the club have experienced in 2013.

Pack the place out, cheer on the racing, and speedway will be the winner, just as it was last night at Poole.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

Top end strength V Strength in depth? I think Matt Ford has proved that top end strength is always going to be better.

not really true depends what dross you have backing it up.

Poole had Ward Holder and Magic at the start and couldnt win anything because the rest were poor.

Now you have got decent back up you win matches.

Its how the team is built not just the two big hitters at the top

Wasn't Swindon still packed in 2009 when Wolves beat them fairly well in the first leg?

True, but that was a 16-point margin and Swindon had won the previous month's home league match between the clubs by 12. Plenty of Robins fans would have felt they were still in the tie; I think you will struggle to find many Birmingham supporters of the same persuasion. But I hope (and believe) their fans will turn up in numbers; the team have done them proud this season. Where I think attendance will suffer is among Wolves fans who might have gone along as neutrals for the spectacle had the outcome been in more doubt.

• Like 1

• Am I being naïve… but am I the only one getting the feeling that Play-Off success is manufactured and manipulated.

Poole, albeit because of injury, have made so many changes this year… their line-up resembled a side pieced together for a benefit or testimonial meeting compared to the Brummies, an honest enough septet but really, a bit green around the gills and who played by the rules throughout the campaign, topped the table to lead the qualifiers, and yet have been found out for being too honest.

It is a bit like a wrestling match, the underdog has the upper hand throughout before the main contender, with spinach in hand, rips open it lid and throws it down his gullet, gaining strength, and, by jolly, just at the right time.

It is like that scene from the old black and white movie, the damsel tied to the track, the train approaching and the villain laughing. We know, it’s either a case of all blood and whatever or the damsel escapes.

Poole were always going to come out on top, and I found the celebrations a bit over the top by their officials. There was – and will be – no other outcome but another Poole triumph.

I don’t dislike Poole, they play by the rules (mostly) and deserve all their success and reputation as a leading – the leading – club in speedway. They don’t sit by idly when a top guy like Holder gets taken out, they act on it and succeed where others fail… this time Hancock’s return to British speedway. Is it that Poole tried to hard and gave him what he wanted, or others whinged and said he didn’t want to return?
    Well done Poole; commiserations, Birmingham.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

Maybe he meant 5 riders who will score 1 ;)

This fixture is far from certain and anyone who says it is, is completely wrong to do so. We could also have an off night like Birmingham did last night. We cant go in thinking this is won as that is when it will explode in our face, the feet need remain on the ground and focused to finish the job off.

I won't be saying anything until the championship is decided by 10.30 next Monday evening who ever are the champions.

WARNING there is history of a famous comeback by the underdog in a two legged match between Birmingham and Poole

In July & August 1955 Poole (then in div2) & Brum (div1) met in the National Trophy and it took 4 meetings and 72 heats to decide the tie, the first leg at Perry Bar ended Bummies 56 Pirates 52 the second leg was won by Poole with the same score and tie had to be replayed, this happened on 17th & 18th August Birmingham won the 1st match by 26 points 67 – 41 the next night at Wimborne Rd Poole against all the odds won 69 – 39 this now part of Poole folk law.

I am not saying that history will repeat its self this time in favour of Birmingham., BUT IT COULD DO

Edited by willstaxi

This fixture is far from certain and anyone who says it is, is completely wrong to do so. We could also have an off night like Birmingham did last night. We cant go in thinking this is won as that is when it will explode in our face, the feet need remain on the ground and focused to finish the job off.

I won't be saying anything until the championship is decided by 10.30 next Monday evening who ever are the champions.

You are Graham Drury and I claim my prize.

2 coachloads of Poole fans booked already!! Should be a great night for the Brummies promotion!! :t:

I think last night is why I despise the play-off's. One bad luck night can decide the League Title, rather than the previous several months of hard work. A league title should not be decided on one bad night.

Welcome to Poole's world!! :P

I think last night is why I despise the play-off's. One bad luck night can decide the League Title, rather than the previous several months of hard work. A league title should not be decided on one bad night.

We know how that feels, Poole have twice in recent years been league champions and lost to a better side on the night,not bottled it like some try to say but beaten by a better team when it mattered most.

• Am I being naïve… but am I the only one getting the feeling that Play-Off success is manufactured and manipulated.

Er, no, most certainly not.