British Speedway Forum

Leicester 2014 . Elite

Norrie is a very clever man and has been around Speedway pretty much all of his life from Mauger,Moran,Loram and Harris like Glyn he knows his stuff about engine setups and can be a good motivator.

It's good to hear that the track is getting some repairs and attention hopefully can be a smooth surface for the start of the season

A bit long in the tooth to be starting out as a team manager? mind you his brother Ronnie is a referee who must be due to be retired soon.

What has MDL & NL pay difference have to do with it ?

My point was Martin managed an MDL side but for the NL trophy side they need someone like David Howard who knows about speedway.

What fascinates me is how you can judge other's knowledge of the sport particularly lower leagues when you clearly have none

OUCH.

Thought it time to join this forum, it seems it needs a 'nice fella' :)

Firstly I would like to be, probably the first on here, to actually congratulate Dave Howard on his appointment as Manager. I can't really say I know Dave that well, but what I do know from the times we have talked is that he is very knowledgable about the sport of speedway, in fact many other sports as well. I enjoy the banter and have even bumped into him in the tunnel at a slightly different speedway meeting. I wish you and the team well for the season.

I spent nearly 10 seconds wondering what pseudonym to hide behind, then realised that would go away from my principles so here I am, the one and only Martin Perkins from AFS.

Those that know me will know I am a pretty straight forward person, if someone asks me a question I will try and answer it. I won't hide away and I don't hold a grudge. I will not answer any direct questions on here, and who would?

Sponsorship by AFS is not happening this season. Now anyone on here can speculate the reasons but the truth is AFS is not sponsoring anything, speedway teams, riders or any other sport, in 2014.

Yes a certain Dane will be using our house as his base but as a company AFS is not helping financially.

quote name="lionking" post="2407897" timestamp="1392513364"]He was just a sponsor who was just given the position to keep him happy.

You are well informed, I had presumed that maybe the reason but as you know this to be true you must be fairly well connected.

I was honoured to lead the Leicester Cubs and would like to take this opportunity to thank the riders, mechanics and all the unpaid volunteers at Leicester Speedway, yeah it did keep me happy. A chance I am glad to have said yes to.

Well it's late time to post my first message then sit back and await some comments.

Thanks TWM and Speedway Friend :)

Lionking, stop me someday and ask those questions, I'll give you an honest answer. I am a nice fella, honest ;)

• Like 5

We do, however, often hear from the inner circle that sponsors are overstepping the mark in wanting their bit of the Lions which is why they are no longer wanted or feted. It probably gives you a decent indication as to why most of the 'helpful' sponsorships appear to never pass the initial term.

Mick.

"Wanting their bit of the Lions" In what capacity are the 'inner circle' claiming this?

I am certain I never asked for my bit, which it must confer was never offered neither.

Damn I hate finding out later on what I've missed out on :(

Note to self, if you hand over money make sure you get a bit.

M

• Like 2

Simon Stead - good that the final place is taken by a UK based rider and a good guy; even though he's probably worked hard on his fitness this winter, could still need a month or two to get back into things properly. Lions (and Tigers) might need to have some patience.

Norrie Allan - does he have any experience with teams or has it mainly been with individual riders ? (speedway disappeared off my radar for about 20 years!). Is he more likely to be forthright with DH (and be listened-to), or to speak with forked tongue? His comment about avoiding injuries was very spot-on, with Leicester's restricted scope to sign replacements in mind.

Two things still awaited - confirmation of John Doe's visa, and the new race formula plus rules for replacing riders.

Not sure what this has got to do with anything but i did notice Hurricanes was checking out what was being said on the forum last night... coincidental?.. LOL

Your dead right though Tina, the not inconsiderable help Leicester have recieved from the likes of AFS and Lowe's plumbing to name but a couple is something that should definately have been applauded and yet I never see a thing. We do, however, often hear from the inner circle that sponsors are overstepping the mark in wanting their bit of the Lions which is why they are no longer wanted or feted. It probably gives you a decent indication as to why most of the 'helpful' sponsorships appear to never pass the initial term.

It seems this year may well be the year of Yes men, lets hope they get it right and most importantly there is enough of them..

Mick.

You two aren't married to each other are you by any chance? :lol:

• Like 1

So, for now things seemed to be set for 2014 tapes up.

Team line up - check

Team Manager - check

Team sponsor - check

An international for the first meeting including World champion - check

World Champion at Leicester for first league meeting - check

Guaranteed good weather - possibly not

Season without injuries - most probably not

Happy Lions fans - watch this forum!

Like most companies people come, people go.

Not all of them get a thank-you. Some stay on in another role, some just hate working there. It is the same as any business. If your face fits and you are in the right place at the right time. You can either go a very long way or it cdan be a very short ride.

I hope that all the management new and old can just work together to make make it a graet opening season in the Elite League.

If everything goes OK I think the Lions should finish this years campain at least in the top 6 places or better.

There are not many great teams in the league this year maybe 4 that are going to be up there. But speedway is a funny old sport and anything can happen.

My best wishes to all the management and all the supporters. Can't wait for the season to get unerway. Keep my place in the stands warm, please.See you all there soon.

Which stand?

"Wanting their bit of the Lions" In what capacity are the 'inner circle' claiming this?

I am certain I never asked for my bit, which it must confer was never offered neither.

Damn I hate finding out later on what I've missed out on :(

Note to self, if you hand over money make sure you get a bit.

M

Got to say it. I must be either talking in riddles, a foreign language or i'm more illiterate than i thought... all acceptably plausible i'd be the first to agree.

So I'll try one last time. I promise it will be last, irrespective of whether it's correctly understood or not.

The point i was making was not specific to you Martin. It's a general observation as to the type of responses you hear whenever there is a disagreement or an issue rears it's head at BP

an example easily plucked from this very thread (though i wouldn't for a minute describe this one as having come from the 'inner circle' and i have no idea who it's aimed at) .. 'What do you see Mick? And please dont say p***** off sponsors is one, because sometimes (unfortunately) sponsors forget that they are sponsors not owners or promoters and try to push the boundries in that regard. Also sometimes sponsors dont always provide what they said they will provide. In other words there is always at least two sides to the story and whilst DH has made mistakes...'

anyways, enough of all this, that's gotta be me done for a while..

all the best,

Mick.

Edited by volty

OUCH.

Thought it time to join this forum, it seems it needs a 'nice fella' :)

Firstly I would like to be, probably the first on here, to actually congratulate Dave Howard on his appointment as Manager. I can't really say I know Dave that well, but what I do know from the times we have talked is that he is very knowledgable about the sport of speedway, in fact many other sports as well. I enjoy the banter and have even bumped into him in the tunnel at a slightly different speedway meeting. I wish you and the team well for the season.

I spent nearly 10 seconds wondering what pseudonym to hide behind, then realised that would go away from my principles so here I am, the one and only Martin Perkins from AFS.

Those that know me will know I am a pretty straight forward person, if someone asks me a question I will try and answer it. I won't hide away and I don't hold a grudge. I will not answer any direct questions on here, and who would?

Sponsorship by AFS is not happening this season. Now anyone on here can speculate the reasons but the truth is AFS is not sponsoring anything, speedway teams, riders or any other sport, in 2014.

Yes a certain Dane will be using our house as his base but as a company AFS is not helping financially.

quote name="lionking" post="2407897" timestamp="1392513364"]He was just a sponsor who was just given the position to keep him happy.

You are well informed, I had presumed that maybe the reason but as you know this to be true you must be fairly well connected.

I was honoured to lead the Leicester Cubs and would like to take this opportunity to thank the riders, mechanics and all the unpaid volunteers at Leicester Speedway, yeah it did keep me happy. A chance I am glad to have said yes to.

Well it's late time to post my first message then sit back and await some comments.

Thanks TWM and Speedway Friend :)

Lionking, stop me someday and ask those questions, I'll give you an honest answer. I am a nice fella, honest ;)

Yes well done and good luck to Dave H........

Good of you to come on here and clear that up Martin. That should put a stop to the endless speculation Some of us do know what you put into that 'little job' and also know you probably got as much out of it as you gave it. All the best for 2014 !!!!!

The Coventry B team (aka Brummies) did ok last year. Not many people said that!!! ;)

Considering their respective positions in the league, I would say that the Coventry B team was the one actually called the Bees! :D

Happy Lions fans - watch this forum!

You mean that things are going to change?

• Like 1