British Speedway Forum

Leicester 2014 . Elite

Very intriguing, this new sponsorship deal for Leicester.

Seems to buck the general trend of teams having local companies as the major sponsor/s, and indeed as someone has said on here, this Rapid solicitors company would have been considered as a possible sponsor of the Elite League itself rather than of one club.

Unless somebody "on the inside" breaks cover, we will not know the exact nature of the deal between Leicester and Rapid, apart from it being 2 years duration. Reading between the lines, I get the feeling that Rapid has footed the bill for the team kevlars, but does it amount to anything much more than that?

I see that since returning in 2011, Leicester have had quite a high turnover of main sponsors. Breedon, Elliot and Harry Jordan have all come and gone in succession. Jordan Road Surfacing were stadium sponsors last year, but have they now disappeared?

The best and most beneficial cases of sponsorship, in my experience, are when a substantial local company and the speedway team develop a long-lasting relationship. I think that last year, Swindon's main sponsors pretty much kept things afloat when things got very difficult - they were both local companies with long standing relationships with the club. But would a company like Rapid do the same thing if the circumstances arose at Leicester? I doubt it.

I really do hope this deal is a lucrative one for Leicester and can contribute to the further development of the stadium, track and club generally. But as I've said, unless somebody breaks cover, the extent of the relationship is not going to be fully known.

What I suspect, and I sincerely hope I am wrong, is that the deal amounts to little more than window-dressing. If that's true, Leicester will still need to be counting on whatever league sponsorship is forthcoming, and on sufficient numbers coming through the turnstiles in order to ensure the Elite League adventure is a success (and by "success" I mean staying in business). What would concern me. if i were a Leicester die-hard, is the realtive lack of significant long-term local sponsorship so far.

I'm sure you would appreciate another point of view Hamish. What teams declare the content of sponsorship deals? Maybe main Sponsors have been coming forward with bigger deals each season that the original ones couldn't compete with or didn't want to? There were considerably more names on the board if you see the photo's from the Friday presentation.

I see that since returning in 2011, Leicester have had quite a high turnover of main sponsors. Breedon, Elliot and Harry Jordan have all come and gone in succession. Jordan Road Surfacing were stadium sponsors last year, but have they now disappeared?

Harry Jordan has not gone - they are still a sponsor but not the main one. Jordan Road Surfacing are still sponsoring the stadium

I'm sure you would appreciate another point of view Hamish. What teams declare the content of sponsorship deals? Maybe main Sponsors have been coming forward with bigger deals each season that the original ones couldn't compete with or didn't want to? There were considerably more names on the board if you see the photo's from the Friday presentation.

Let's hope they all think its worthwhile to their businesses. I think McRaker may have been doing a bit of stirring!

Fair point Teemy, but it makes them sound a wee bit like my grandaughter and her boyfriends - you cannae keep up with who she's with from one year to the next, and I'd not want the lass to get a "reputation" if you know what I mean (small round things made from pastry with jam on)! Anyways I hope that Leicester's latest is going to be good at coughing up the wonga, and that Mr Hemsley doesn't forget to keeep the local sponsors happy.

can't say i'm convinced but maybe i'm wrong. Putting 2 and 2 together to make 5 there did appear to be a what you might guess was a last minute invite and call to arms for all supporters club staff posted on facebook but that most probably is just my cynical nature reaing into something that isn't really there.

There was a similar meeting last year when all season ticket holders and volunteers were invited.

• Like 1

EL on my computer

Must be me then.....!?

PREMIER LEAGUE - Club Press Releases

bullet3.jpg 03 Feb 2014 - RYE HOUSE SPEEDWAY ROUND-UP

bullet3.jpg 31 Jan 2014 - LEICESTER: NEW SPONSOR DEAL FOR LIONS

bullet3.jpg 31 Jan 2014 - IPSWICH: NEW TEAM BOSS ANNOUNCED

bullet3.jpg 31 Jan 2014 - RYE HOUSE: LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION!

Edited. ...........and now its changed!!

Edited by Skidder1

Fair point Teemy, but it makes them sound a wee bit like my grandaughter and her boyfriends - you cannae keep up with who she's with from one year to the next

Yes I guess we could all use a bit more commitment !!! It's all so easy come easy go nowadays