British Speedway Forum

Leicester 2014 . Elite

Happy New year Jim. Though I guess for that to become true for you the Lions or more specifically DH will have to experience a spectacular failure during 2014!

However for me 2014 is going to be a great domestic speedway year for three reasons

1. You will keep up with your regular posts that often make me smile (like this one) for the evenly balanced way you present the chips you have on both shoulders.

2. We will be seeing the top riders in the UK racing at Leicester on a weekly basis for the first time in over 30 years.

3. I will be able to compliment or complain about the team & promotion on this forum based on factual performance.

Well said 1 valve. Either they make a good show of things or it really goes belly flop. Then it will gives us an awful lot to write about. I think we are in for a good year.

The Lions may not have the best riders but they seem to be a pretty well balanced team with some really hart triers in there.

And yes we will get to see all the top riders. Should make 2014 a good year. Win or Lose.

It has been 30 years without top flight racing and now the Lions are back with a roar.

Good Luck to them. Hope they make the fans proud of them in 2014.

Happy New year Jim. Though I guess for that to become true for you the Lions or more specifically DH will have to experience a spectacular failure during 2014!

However for me 2014 is going to be a great domestic speedway year for three reasons

1. You will keep up with your regular posts that often make me smile (like this one) for the evenly balanced way you present the chips you have on both shoulders.

2. We will be seeing the top riders in the UK racing at Leicester on a weekly basis for the first time in over 30 years.

3. I will be able to compliment or complain about the team & promotion on this forum based on factual performance.

Spot on 1 valve, I'm a season ticket holder at LCFC and we are currently top of the league and I still hear people complain about the manager, owners, team !!! We still support our teams win lose or draw like I said really looking forward to the start of the season and will be getting friends / family who haven't been to go down to BP and give it a go

I personally think that BP will be like gifting the Polish riders a golden spoon covered in honey, with straights longer than most of the Brithish tracks, it will be like riding on thier own turf. I watched KK in the Liecester Coventry match and he took to the track, as if he road it every week.

Lets hope that the new team get plenty of practice around BP before the start of the season. If they do and get to grips with it, there will be some big upsets with the visiting teams.

I am sure the Lions will finish in mid table. Don't think for one moment that they are going to end up in last place.

Think this is going to be a good year for the Lions and Lions fans.

Not to long to wait now to find out.

Any ideas on the last rider by the way. Thought we would have heard by now.

Thanks for making assumptions once again which of course are completely wrong .

but if it gives you pleasure to project your opinion I'm happy to be the vehicle of your false-consensus .

I personally think that BP will be like gifting the Polish riders a golden spoon covered in honey, with straights longer than most of the Brithish tracks, it will be like riding on thier own turf. I watched KK in the Liecester Coventry match and he took to the track, as if he road it every week.

Lets hope that the new team get plenty of practice around BP before the start of the season. If they do and get to grips with it, there will be some big upsets with the visiting teams.

I am sure the Lions will finish in mid table. Don't think for one moment that they are going to end up in last place.

Think this is going to be a good year for the Lions and Lions fans.

Not to long to wait now to find out.

Any ideas on the last rider by the way. Thought we would have heard by now.

Yeah, Beaumont Park's a lot like Polish tracks. Except over there, riders don't have to half-stop when turning left. Apart from that, you'd hardly be able to tell em apart :lol:

Talk of Joe Screen today - reminds me of Lions v Glasgow match 2013. Lions were ahead quite comfortably in the match. When the tractors were out racing, Screeny stood near the pits gate just looking at the track, brain ticking over, no other riders out there. After the tractor racing had finished, Lions did one of their famous "dozing off" acts on the track, and Screeny nicked two wins from the back. The crowd on both straights gave him a big cheer both times. I was stood next to a bloke (not from Leicester - somewhere near Woollybackland I think) who was on his first visit.

"I'm surprised there are so many Glasgow supporters here today" said he.

"There aren't, it's Leicester supporters who are cheering" I replied.

"That's a bit unusual" he said.

"Nah", said I, " we're a generous lot here to other teams riders, and there's so little overtaking that whenever it happens, it doesn't matter who's done it, they get a big cheer".

• Like 1

Yeah, Beaumont Park's a lot like Polish tracks. Except over there, riders don't have to half-stop when turning left. Apart from that, you'd hardly be able to tell em apart :lol:

Talk of Joe Screen today - reminds me of Lions v Glasgow match 2013. Lions were ahead quite comfortably in the match. When the tractors were out racing, Screeny stood near the pits gate just looking at the track, brain ticking over, no other riders out there. After the tractor racing had finished, Lions did one of their famous "dozing off" acts on the track, and Screeny nicked two wins from the back. The crowd on both straights gave him a big cheer both times. I was stood next to a bloke (not from Leicester - somewhere near Woollybackland I think) who was on his first visit.

"I'm surprised there are so many Glasgow supporters here today" said he.

"There aren't, it's Leicester supporters who are cheering" I replied.

"That's a bit unusual" he said.

"Nah", said I, " we're a generous lot here to other teams riders, and there's so little overtaking that whenever it happens, it doesn't matter who's done it, they get a big cheer".

Another thing he did that meeting was to mark his line into the third bend with his steel shoe on his way to tapes. Lol and behold he hit it bang on and went flying round the outside of the others.

........weatherwatcher.....

I personally think that BP will be like gifting the Polish riders a golden spoon covered in honey, with straights longer than most of the British tracks, it will be like riding on thier own turf. I watched KK in the Liecester Coventry match and he took to the track, as if he rode it every week.

Forgive me if I'm wrong because a) I can very rarely remember speedway related things b ) I don't keep programmes and c) I erased the match from my memory whilst walking back to the car, but Zengota is Polish and I'm sure he had an awful night? I don't think he could get the hang of the track at all and we won't get chance to find out if he's improved because he's no longer a Coventry rider.

Admittedly K.K. did well but it was obviously just one of those nights when he felt in the mood to gate and go. Shame he didn't feel that way more often.

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 1

Thanks for making assumptions once again which of course are completely wrong .

but if it gives you pleasure to project your opinion I'm happy to be the vehicle of your false-consensus .

Not sure I am making any assumptions at all - just facts which by their nature cant be wrong.

1. Your post will continue to humour me

2. The top UK riders will be riding at Leicester for the first time in 30 years

3. I will complain and or compliment riders & promoters alike on this forum depending on the entertainment / effort/results - no rose coloured glasses or predetermined mind set from me.

Forgive me if I'm wrong because a) I can very rarely remember speedway related things b ) I don't keep programmes and c) I erased the match from my memory whilst walking back to the car, but Zengota is Polish and I'm sure he had an awful night? I don't think he could get the hang of the track at all and we won't get chance to find out if he's improved because he's no longer a Coventry rider.

Admittedly K.K. did well but it was obviously just one of those nights when he felt in the mood to gate and go. Shame he didn't feel that way more often.

Good point re Zengota not getting to grips with the Leicester track - although he failed to get to grips with most "away" tracks in the UK last year as any Cov fan will tell you which is almost certainly the main reason he is not back with the Bees this year.

• Like 2

so this is not an assumption ? .oh well I learn something new every day , I don't suppose you also know as a fact what I would like for lunch today ?

Good point re Zengota not getting to grips with the Leicester track - although he failed to get to grips with most "away" tracks in the UK last year as any Cov fan will tell you which is almost certainly the main reason he is not back with the Bees this year.

Almost certainly . so is this fact or more assumption ?

so this is not an assumption ? .oh well I learn something new every day , I don't suppose you also know as a fact what I would like for lunch today ?

Correct, it was not an assumtion, it was a guess (as stated) - which incidently I see you have yet to say anything to prove it (my guess) wrong.

Almost certainly . so is this fact or more assumption ?

Niether. It is a strong possibility!

• Like 1

Correct, it was not an assumtion, it was a guess (as stated) - which incidently I see you have yet to say anything to prove it (my guess) wrong.

Niether. It is a strong possibility!

I get it now , you make a scurrilous accusation and I have to argue my defence , Guilty until proven innocent of accusations by 1 valve ,

here's the oxford dictionary explanation of assume :

suppose to be the case, without proof.

synonyms

:

presume, suppose, take it, take for granted, take as read, take it as given, presuppose, conjecture, surmise, conclude, come to the conclusion, deduce, infer, draw the inference, reckon, reason, guess, imagine, think, fancy, suspect, expect, accept, believe, be of the opinion, understand, be given to understand, gather, glean .

you will of course notice that guess according to the oxford dictionary is a synonym of Assume ,, synonym to those of us who had an education means similar or the same ,

I get it now , you make a scurrilous accusation and I have to argue my defence , Guilty until proven innocent of accusations by 1 valve ,

here's the oxford dictionary explanation of assume :

suppose to be the case, without proof.

synonyms

:

presume, suppose, take it, take for granted, take as read, take it as given, presuppose, conjecture, surmise, conclude, come to the conclusion, deduce, infer, draw the inference, reckon, reason, guess, imagine, think, fancy, suspect, expect, accept, believe, be of the opinion, understand, be given to understand, gather, glean .

you will of course notice that guess according to the oxford dictionary is a synonym of Assume ,, synonym to those of us who had an education means similar or the same ,

no defence needed Jim...I wished you a happy new year - made a tongue in cheek comment on what might make for you a happy one at that and subsequently you have chosen to neither agree or dissagree on that particular comment or the remainder of the content but just argue English...on a speedway forum?

As it appears you like to have the last word on things I will let you reply (if you so wish) which I will not comment on any further as this is clearly off topic & like me other members must be bored stiff by this thread!

Role on the start of the speedway season then we can have something meaningful to debate!

• Like 4

no defence needed Jim...I wished you a happy new year - made a tongue in cheek comment on what might make for you a happy one at that and subsequently you have chosen to neither agree or dissagree on that particular comment or the remainder of the content but just argue English...on a speedway forum?

As it appears you like to have the last word on things I will let you reply (if you so wish) which I will not comment on any further as this is clearly off topic & like me other members must be bored stiff by this thread!

Role on the start of the speedway season then we can have something meaningful to debate!

Oh contrare i am finding this thread to quite amusing on a very dull friday at work, i don't think i have ever seen the oxford english dictionary being quoted on the forum before!

I wish Leicester every success for the coming season although i expect we know of a certain who may not attend, at least that is my assumption!!

• Like 3

.......1 valve.......Roll on the start of the speedway season then we can have something meaningful to debate!

I believe you are quite new on here, unless you are a resurrection of another name? Can I just warn you that it gets worse once the season starts so batten down the hatches and prepare for battle. :D

......TesarRacing........ Might be an idea to edit this spelling of the above word or the Oxford English Dictionary might be coming out again!!!

Ooops....I already corrected it in his post before quoting. I'm the same at ASDA when I take my trolley back and have to tidy them all up. Should I be worried? :rofl:

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 3