British Speedway Forum

Leicester 2014 . Elite

Got my season ticket renewal e-mail today. Even though i was told different by the man himself there is nary a mention of an acknowledgement for the piss poor value of last years season ticket, just mention of how it will be us, the season ticket holders and sponsors that will allow the club to secure an Elite league team for the coming season. Unfortunately it won't be any my money helping to do it. So how many season ticket holders on here are renewing? I'm clearly not, but will i be in a minority?. I know of at least one other season ticket holder who is holding off this year though that is rather because, like me, he doesn't rate the chances of us having the business plan or finances to make the season out.

Mick.

Did you take advantage of the discount at other tracks scheme this year. That would have improved the value of your season ticket!

Maybe EL riders can overtake on the track

So far the overwhelming evidence actually points to the NL level riders being the ones who can overtake on the track. Unless you're hinting at the NL level EL riders in the EL teams in which case you might be right, am i wrong?

Edited by volty

I think any attempt at sensible debate about the track quickly gets drowned out on here and the facebook page these days. I guess at the end of the day, DH thinks the racing is acceptable and the paying customers can like it or lump it. It would be great if Glyn Taylor was given an opportunity to use his track laying experience to remedy things, but this seems unlikely to happen. Which is a great shame I, and many others, feel.

• Like 1

Cheers for the fixture updates. I never fully read the article on the signing of Perry & Clegg, so missed the fixture info.

The article of Perry & Clegg signing does at least IMO confirm why they were signed, it's based on their performances at BP, albeit at MDL level for Clegg.

What is interesting is having read the article do we think the people who made the picks for Leicester understand the difference in standard between the 'Defence' league and National leagues? This may be the issue. I seriously question whether they do..

Forunately for them, with luck defeating judgment, I think they have picked riders who have the talent to not end up end embarrassing the management too much.

Edited by volty
  • Like 1

What is interesting is having read the article do we think the people making the picks for Leicester understand the difference in standard between the 'Defence' league and National leagues? This may be the issue. I seriously question whether they do..

Forunately for them, with luck defeating judgment, I think they have picked riders who have the talent to not end up end embarrassing the management too much.

So if it turns out ok it's good luck rather than good judgement is it?

Mr Hemsley is going to have to up his budget to get any rider in. He's had a big shock from all accounts.

There is riders out there to put a decent top 5 on show. Just hope he opens his wallet for the fans sake

So if it turns out ok it's good luck rather than good judgement is it?

Yes Tina, it is. I think that is clearly the inference i was making. That with the exception of Glyn Taylor, our management team have shown themselves time and time again to be absolutely clueless about speedway. Edited by volty

Mr Hemsley is going to have to up his budget to get any rider in. He's had a big shock from all accounts.

There is riders out there to put a decent top 5 on show. Just hope he opens his wallet for the fans sake

Are you really suggesting that a pipe dream of 4+ years with elite league applications for 2 years during which time the owner and management have been able to mix with Lions own assets, elite league riders and promoters to be able to gauge expenses and costs to be able to make a sensible plan has not happened?

Are you suggesting that there was no logical basis, business plan for an increase in ticket prices other than a conversation across the dinner table of "lets milk it Yulia" ?

• Like 1

Are you really suggesting that a pipe dream of 4+ years with elite league applications for 2 years during which time the owner and management have been able to mix with Lions own assets, elite league riders and promoters to be able to gauge expenses and costs to be able to make a sensible plan has not happened?

Are you suggesting that there was no logical basis, business plan for an increase in ticket prices other than a conversation across the dinner table of "lets milk it Yulia" ?

I dont think there has been any shock to the promoters regarding cost at all. quite the opposite. Knowing that some riders are quite demanding in terms of contracts I think the Lions promotion have bided their time untill the "superstars" have been sorted and then those that are left (and with the new average limit there are already a few being cast to one side) will form the pool which DH & co will chose from. Maybe we will not see a team with an out and out number one but one with in depth scoring ability across the 1 - 5. I might be wrong but I think it will be worth the wait.

• Like 1

Is it the case that riders are asking for more money to ride for Leicester, knowing that we have no assets and are effectively putting a team together from scratch or is that the promotion did not research properly what top quality riders earned last season?

Can't imagine it to be the latter, especially as they know KK well, so must've known what he would've expected & it should be basic business sense to work out what the expected outlay would be.

Maybe we'll have to pay £17 next season not £16!

All of the above has basically just been put in a better way two posts above by glennylion! Hadn't seen it at the time of writing!

Edited by Astill lodge lion

What is interesting is having read the article do we think the people who made the picks for Leicester understand the difference in standard between the 'Defence' league and National leagues? This may be the issue. I seriously question whether they do..

At least they explained why chosen & they were talked up, not like Poole, where Matt Ford admitted he didn't know much about Lee Smart.

I dont think there has been any shock to the promoters regarding cost at all. quite the opposite. Knowing that some riders are quite demanding in terms of contracts I think the Lions promotion have bided their time untill the "superstars" have been sorted and then those that are left (and with the new average limit there are already a few being cast to one side) will form the pool which DH & co will chose from. Maybe we will not see a team with an out and out number one but one with in depth scoring ability across the 1 - 5. I might be wrong but I think it will be worth the wait.

Is it the case that riders are asking for more money to ride for Leicester, knowing that we have no assets and are effectively putting a team together from scratch or is that the promotion did not research properly what top quality riders earned last season?

Can't imagine it to be the latter, especially as they know KK well, so must've known what he would've expected & it should be basic business sense to work out what the expected outlay would be.

Maybe we'll have to pay £17 next season not £16!

All of the above has basically just been put in a better way two posts above by glennylion! Hadn't seen it at the time of writing!

Honestly, I think the last line of Glennylion's post may be about the mark

Edited by volty

People Still talking about the track & the poor promotion and to think a couple of years ago I was shot down for saying it was a club in crisis.I wasn't wrong.

R72

Ps it's not just the EL riders wage demands they have to take into account but also EL loan fees.

Edited by robert72

Maybe DH has not thought it through and we will fold after half a dozen matches. Then you can all say, I told you so.

I'm sure DH has more about him than you give him credit for.

Time will tell who is correct.

In the meantime they have my full support.

It's not a case of told you so at all. In fact let's hope you're right. They clearly see the opportunies of TV exposure and local derbies as the answer. As you can clearly tell I can't say i'm convinced they have their sums right, they have the track right, or they have the business plan in place to make that gamble pay off.

Edited by volty
  • Like 1

Maybe DH has not thought it through and we will fold after half a dozen matches. Then you can all say, I told you so.

I'm sure DH has more about him than you give him credit for.

Time will tell who is correct.

In the meantime they have my full support.

Great post and although I guess some people on here would like to see DH fail as they believe they can do a better job (If so sorry but you missed your chance) & somehow seem to think that bad mouthing the promotion on here will somehow win support for a takeover - the truth is the promoters always had a plan to provide top flight speedway in Leicester (well done for doing so inside 4 years) and now they are going about the business of delivering their plan.

We live in tough times for any sports business and the cloth has to be cut accordingly. There are plenty of other posts on this forum quoting clubs losing money, yet, against this backdrop DH and co move on & upwards...sure they are not going to please all of the people...but they will please many more than not...role on next season which will see (to the surprise of no one but maybe the dissapointment of others) the Lions compete and complete it...no problem.

• Like 1

Great post and although I guess some people on here would like to see DH fail as they believe they can do a better job (If so sorry but you missed your chance) & somehow seem to think that bad mouthing the promotion on here will somehow win support for a takeover - the truth is the promoters always had a plan to provide top flight speedway in Leicester (well done for doing so inside 4 years) and now they are going about the business of delivering their plan.

We live in tough times for any sports business and the cloth has to be cut accordingly. There are plenty of other posts on this forum quoting clubs losing money, yet, against this backdrop DH and co move on & upwards...sure they are not going to please all of the people...but they will please many more than not...role on next season which will see (to the surprise of no one but maybe the dissapointment of others) the Lions compete and complete it...no problem.

Well said 1 valve. I would like to see the teams 1-5 though hope it is worth the wait. Can't see the Lions going into the EL with no chance of wining any matches.

If that was the case then it would have been a pointless exercise moving up a league, just to prove you had not got it in you yo do the job in hand. I am sure the wait will be well worth it and they manage to put a half decent team together.