British Speedway Forum

Wolverhampton 2014

Again as on the other thread.. ignoring the incompetency of the manager, was it really that bad? What can you do when you get 2pts for Woffinden.

It all depends upon the league but the basis is there for a decent side again with Woffinden (if any top riders are in the league), Proctor, Thorsell certainties.

I'd still happily have Skornicki as a solid middle order rider.

The rest is very much dependent upon how the league is setup.

Harder than ever to call this until we know what the set up next season will be but...

Tai - Has to return if we can fit him in

Freddie - Ditto

Adam - Would love to see him back but perennially cast in the fall guy role

Ty - Was the first half of 2013 a blip or the real Ty? How much will the injury plus Joe Haines retirement set him back? Got to be worth a go when fit

Ricky - Mr inconsistent but time is on his side and I wouldn't be unhappy to see him back

Jacob - Nailed on

Nicolai - Have we got room for a gating tart who is visibly unsettled when under any pressure and couldn't pass water but is otherwise like the proverbial off a shovel. Maybe

Ludvig - Relaxed if he stays, relaxed if he goes. Presume Brum won't want him

Misko - Will never pull on a Wolves race top again I suspect

Edited for double post and bread related typo

Edited by Vic Ridgeon
  • Like 1

Again as on the other thread.. ignoring the incompetency of the manager, was it really that bad? What can you do when you get 2pts for Woffinden.

It all depends upon the league but the basis is there for a decent side again with Woffinden (if any top riders are in the league), Proctor, Thorsell certainties.

I'd still happily have Skornicki as a solid middle order rider.

The rest is very much dependent upon how the league is setup.

I can't get further than the Michelsen thing BW. God willing we'll have the world champ next season, manna from heaven for Dumb & Dumber. Providing Ty has recovered, he's a nailed on, Jacob also. Sqora has done ok although, without crunching the numbers, he's dropped around 0.6? Wells is PL at best, gives away more points than Tesco. Why did we buy him? Ludde, to give him his due, was as much responsible for us topping the table as anyone but faded badly when push comes to shove. Fred is just not the rider we knew, he rides safe, and who can blame him. As I said where we go now, God knows. I'm now certain though that CVS & Adams aren't the future.

Not the time to make plans. Key for team building is riders who can increase their averages along with some stable points scorers. Rash calls on nights like this are not the best times to plan. Quite simply....team peaked in April. In 2009 we peaked in September - that's how it rolls these days.

By the way who remembers TNTs thread in 2009 within 8 seconds of winning the final asking who we get rid of? :D

Good post Steve. My comment above is intended to be more of a review than a team building suggestion.

Can't recall if I've asked you this previously but what's Chris Kerr doing these days? No chance of a UK return I presume?

Chris has ridden only occasionally in the USA the past couple of years - maybe done about 6 meetings this year. He still knows how to skid but I haven't heard anything from him re returning. He did text me a picture of a car he passed on the freeway on Saturday with a Wolves footy sticker on it, so he obviously still thinks of you all!!!

Edited by SteveEvans

Without knowing the league structure and the uncertainty of Skys involvement it just aint worth speculating about 2014.

But my big wish,is for a rich super daddy to come along,whos got more money than sence.CVS has now reached the end of the line,and who can blame him for not throwing any more cash into the club,when his reign is nearly over.But speedway is a dead-end sport at the moment,and nobody in their right mind,would take on any promoton for gain or profit.Plus,with doubts about our main sponser throwing in extra funds(or even any funds at all)the next six months,will be crucial concerning the long term future of Wolves speedway.

Dont know what Adams plans are,but he certainly doesnt seem as focused these past few seasons.Hes sixty five now,so perhaps tme has finally caught up with his burning ambition to capture a final league title.

What ever happens,it is certainly gonna be an interesting few months,not only for Wolves,but speedway in general.

• Like 2

So, a promising 2013 fizzles out with the heart of the time ripped out with injuries and replacements / guests not being up to the job.

That said, compared to 2011 and 2012, the season has been more successful and we shouldn't lose sight of that with several away wins.

Its hard to determine how the team should be when we don't have a clue of the league format. Various rumors are that it'll be a fuller fixture list with team strengths reduced. Also heard that there may be a limit on riders based outside the UK in an effort to reduce travelling costs - something that is worth it for a #1 but proves poor value for Mr 3 point Pole.

I hope we retain Tai if at all possible. My take on Freddie is that we should give him the option of taking a year out so he can persue the GPs with less of a schedule or go on loan to get recharged. Lets not forget he has also had a serious injury. I do think that we simply need to sit back and let him come to us at this point though a lower limit may make that decision.

PK if fit, and in his final year, would be most welcome as the #2 guy.

The rest in my opinion can be fitted in if they fit or loaned if not - I do think we need a fresh face or two and not riders who are space fillers after the regulars who are in but a rider or two who could ignite some life back. Use our assets to get such a rider on board by giving the parent club of such someone who would fit their team. I don't see a single rider who should be nailed on for a spot but of course we can expect at least 5 of the would have ridden in the colors in the recent past.

Above all I hope for a fuller fixture list, a season that doesn't end for some in August, a Cup competition that isn't optional, a full set of A and B fixtures, the end of doubling up riders and a product that is priced to give the punter value for money and be back in the habit to come back next week, whilst also being viable for the promoters. This to me is senior to who is or isn't in the team.So, a promising 2013 fizzles out with the heart of the time ripped out with injuries and replacements / guests not being up to the job.

That said, compared to 2011 and 2012, the season has been more successful and we shouldn't lose sight of that with several away wins.

Its hard to determine how the team should be when we don't have a clue of the league format. Various rumors are that it'll be a fuller fixture list with team strengths reduced. Also heard that there may be a limit on riders based outside the UK in an effort to reduce travelling costs - something that is worth it for a #1 but proves poor value for Mr 3 point Pole.

I hope we retain Tai if at all possible. My take on Freddie is that we should give him the option of taking a year out so he can pursue the GPs with less of a schedule or go on loan to get recharged. Lets not forget he has also had a serious injury. I do think that we simply need to sit back and let him come to us at this point though a lower limit may make that decision.

PK if fit, and in his final year, would be most welcome as the #2 guy.

The rest in my opinion can be fitted in if they fit or loaned if not - I do think we need a fresh face or two and not riders who are space fillers after the regulars who are in but a rider or two who could ignite some life back. Use our assets to get such a rider on board by giving the parent club of such someone who would fit their team. I don't see a single rider who should be nailed on for a spot but of course we can expect at least 5 of the would have ridden in the colors in the recent past.

Above all I hope for a fuller fixture list, a season that doesn't end for some in August, a Cup competition that isn't optional, a full set of A and B fixtures, the end of doubling up riders and a product that is priced to give the punter value for money and be back in the habit to come back next week, whilst also being viable for the promoters. This to me is senior to who is or isn't in the team.

It must be heart breaking to be a Wolves fan today The one thing you can take solace from is that with a fit Ty the result would have been different. With a little luck at least you can say you have the World Champion

I wouldn't say so. Reality was this was going to be uphill even with a full 1-7. Tai's injury was the final nail. The nature of play offs meaning peaking and having the right pieces at the right time, we had the right pieces until May 22nd. Birmingham deserved to win and have been the team of the year as far as making a side that looked about 6th place on paper onto one that is 30 heats away from the title. Edited by SteveEvans

I wouldn't say so. Reality was this was going to be uphill even with a full 1-7. Tai's injury was the final nail. The nature of play offs meaning peaking and having the right pieces at the right time, we had the right pieces until May 22nd. Birmingham deserved to win and have been the team of the year as far as making a side that looked about 6th place on paper onto one that is 30 heats away from the title.

True, but its no good harping back to earlier injuries in the season.

The facts are simple. Tai's injury was the killer, it doesn't matter if we still had Proctor and Thorsell, getting 7pts over 2 meetings from Tai's rides we would have lost anyway.

Had Tai not crashed with Gollob, he'd be World Champion already and Wolves would 95% certainly be in the playoff final.

The rest of the Wolves team did their jobs (bar Fred to an extent in the 2nd leg but it was all over by then) so in essence they did peak at the right time. Our reserves outscored theirs in both meetings. The second strings + Adam also scored more then they would normally do against Birmingham. An average Tai performance would have seen a fairly comfortable Wolves win.

Edited by BWitcher

Had Tai not crashed with Gollob, he'd be World Champion already and Wolves would 95% certainly be in the playoff final.

I think if you asked most non-Wolves fans prior to the play-offs, you would find that the majority thought that Wolves were the weakest team in the play-offs (with or without Tai) - which is probably why Brummies picked them (as well as the big pay-day). Having said that, I also thought that Swindon would beat Poole :sad:

With drastic changes due next season, it will mean all teams having to rebuild and Wolves will almost certainly have to release Tai or Fred and I can't see Tai going anywhere else and Fred will possibly spearhead another team. Coventry would be a good move but if he is in the GPs it may be hard to commit if there are more fixtures.

Wolverhampton will have a decent list of assets with low averages to call upon like Aspgren while Thorssell looks to be a star in the making while Ty Proctor hopefully comes back in the form he was showing before the Injury.

Wolves will look at bringing in a decent second heat leader and wouldn't be surprised if Bomber made the switch to Monmore Green.