British Speedway Forum

Robins 2014

Morris wants to go to Sheffield.

Bates is drafted by Swindon.

Swindon accuse Sheffield of an illegal approach to Morris by a third party.

Bates Grandfather is one of the new owners at Sheffield.

Bates is released by Swindon to go to Sheffield.

Sheffield drop their interest in Morris.

And you can't see a connection?

A connection yes but this still doesn't answer the original problem that Nick is left without a Premier Lge slot & I'd assume he would be pretty hacked off with Swindon if they've done a deal with Sheffield to not pursue him.

All this leads to is Nick being stitched from all sides despite how happy the 2 clubs are.

One pretty hacked off rider who's career is in need of doubling up which has now been taken away from him if Doyley gets a work permit.

• Like 1

I know that Darryl Ritchings is a Swindon asset and he is at Swindon most weeks and sometimes is seen riding after the main meeting. I do not recall any mention of Ben being signed. He has attended the meetings at Swindon as a spectator but I do not recall seeing him ride against Darryl in the last few years, which I would have thought he would have wanted to do, to show Rosco what he can do.

Edited by A ORLOV

A connection yes but this still doesn't answer the original problem that Nick is left without a Premier Lge slot & I'd assume he would be pretty hacked off with Swindon if they've done a deal with Sheffield to not pursue him.All this leads to is Nick being stitched from all sides despite how happy the 2 clubs are.One pretty hacked off rider who's career is in need of doubling up which has now been taken away from him if Doyley gets a work permit.

All of a sudden two clubs that were at odds with each other now have settled their differences. At the same time a 'prize' reserve has been released by Swindon to Sheffield and the Tigers drop their interest in Morris and move in a different direction with their team building plans. Swindons reserve options are severely limited. It speaks volumes that they would put themselves in that position unless there was a quid pro quo.

There has been a cosy up between the two clubs over Bates, and maybe another issue or two but I'll leave you to ponder that, in an effort to reduce the options Morris has elsewhere with the end result being that he is effectively resigned to stay at Swindon and, therefore, further reducing his chances of riding in the PL.

Swindon saw what an effect no PL racing had on him in 2012 and it was only after he moved to Scunthorpe that his form improved.

I'm sure I'm correct in saying that Nick Morris had no issue with Swindon but, like him, they were a victim of the BSPA foul up on Brady Kurtz. Everyone else is having to clear up that mess. Nick reckons, rightly or wrongly, that his chances of riding in both leagues are substantially increased by not riding in the EL on Thursday because of the race clashes that creates.

I know that Darryl Ritchings is a Swindon asset and he is at Swindon most weeks and sometimes is seen riding after the main meeting. I do not recall any mention of Ben being signed. He has attended the meetings at Swindon as a spectator but I do not recall seeing him ride against Darryl in the last few years, which I would have thought he would have wanted to do, to show Rosco what he can do.

You can take my word or not but Ben Reade was once a Swindon asset. That is a fact. Whether he was transferred, released or whatever is another matter.

So the whole mess rolls on. The only partially satisfactory conclusion I can see, is if Somerset replace Doyle with Morris. A phone tapper somewhere between Swindon and Sheffield would have a story or two to tell I bet.

• Like 1

With the spin you have put on what is a perfectly understandable situation I would hazard a guess that you are a Poole supporter :rolleyes:

No SteveO am a Brummies supporter but having read so many of the comments on here I thought I would just add that if it was Poole doing this move everyone would be calling foul.

I have absolutely no problem with the change although as per usual there seems no clarity on next steps for the robins. My understanding is the list of draft riders gets updated when the NL is finalised and that these riders as long as they are british can also be used. Ps Crazy Robin take it easy was just my view, you should try being a Brummies fan this coming season with a heat leader trio of Barker, King and Kennett!!!

Phil Morris is the obvious candidate for me. Knows more about the Premier League & National league scene. We should be using the best of next generation rather than using riders like Kennett and Barker who, just don't seem to have improved & are now doubling down.

Is this in the wrong place?

• Like 1

I'd settle for that, enjoyed watching Nick last year, real racer.

Yes, agreed. Nick eventually got to grips with the OTA and was superb to watch. I for one would be delighted to see him back at Somerset and even more so as a Robin.

• Like 2

So, I was right then. A load of fuss about nothing?!

Depends if he loses 6 to 10 meeting,s before he is fixed up then he is on the catch up mode to his earning's.If everything sorts itself out and Nick can go and ride and show us what he is about then that will be great but he needs to ride i would imagine 70 meeting,s.?

Which riders can Swindon sign to replace Josh Bates ?

Surely it has to be one of the riders that was not picked in the draft.

Edited by T.N.T.