British Speedway Forum

Robins 2014

I doubt whether Bates would want to ride 3 leagues!!

Don't see why other clubs would need to agree - sorry but Swindon's business is their own responsibility (within the rules). Trying to get 10 BSPA promoters to agree to anything is a bit of a Herculean task.

Agree, this possible arrangement should be between BV and Swindon only as the two clubs could have picked them that way round anyway.

I don't think anyone else would object anyway but to prevent any cries of foul play at a later date it would be good if everybody was in agreement.

Don't see why Bates can't / wouldn't want to ride in three leagues, several others are doing so.

Edited by Bagpuss

Rules are Rules .Swindon should have to stick to them . Things like this just go to show what silly rule this was thou and the worst is still to come .

Swindon now have had second last pick in the first set of drafts and the last pick in the second ...great .

Don't see why other clubs would need to agree - sorry but Swindon's business is their own responsibility (within the rules). Trying to get 10 BSPA promoters to agree to anything is a bit of a Herculean task.

If nothing else it might stop a situation which in this instance would be pure common sense being abused at a later date. For example if it was just for the two clubs to agree then what's to stop Lee Smart plus a consignment of bricks being swapped for Stefan Nielsen?

All hypothetical of course ;)

• Like 1

And people wonder why clubs sign unknown foreigners. At least they willing to travel and then base themselves near to a home track. Where by An English lad is not prepared to travel "just" 3 hours to home meetings, but

but was Bates going to get accomodation,a van and a guaranteed weekly allowance like the foreigner?
  • Like 1

I think everyone also needs to remember that Josh is at an age where he hasn't passed his driving test and is likely to need a driver who doesn't work or relies on family and friends to transport him to all tracks. These lads are not on big money to pay someone. Some of the lads riding in all leagues could be facing 80 meetings this year. Fair play to them.

• Like 1

Take into account that Bates Grandfather is part of the new Sheffield consortium too. After all the finger pointing towards Sheffield me thinks something is not quite right here.

Edited by whowasthatberntpersson
  • Like 1

Do foreigners get that in there home land when they start off ?

No idea - but perhaps that why they are so keen to come here.

Dont get me wrong I am not against talent from outside the UK at all - so long as it is talent and not just filler.

No idea - but perhaps that why they are so keen to come here.

Dont get me wrong I am not against talent from outside the UK at all - so long as it is talent and not just filler.

The answer is no ....they have work the bottom before they are notice by teams in the uk etc . Uk riders take note .

Take into account that Bates Grandfather is part of the new Sheffield consortium too. After all the finger pointing towards Sheffield me thinks something is not quite right here.

Clearly there has been some horse trading, mutual back scratching, whatever you want to call it. Lay off Morris and we'll let you have Bates etc etc.

Let's hope that this is where the horse trading started and finished.

Edited by Double Up
  • Like 1

The answer is no ....they have work the bottom before they are notice by teams in the uk etc . Uk riders take note .

Havent the draft riders in the main done that? The fact that they have been chosen for the draft is because they have been noticed as having the ability to progress.

Havent the draft riders in the main done that? The fact that they have been chosen for the draft is because they have been noticed as having the ability to progress.

Clearly there has been some horse trading, mutual back scratching, whatever you want to call it. Lay off Morris and we'll let you have Bates etc etc.

Let's hope that this is where the horse trading started and finished.

I really can't see that the 2 things are directly linked as Nick is clearly going to be out of a Premier League place which was the whole reason this all started.

I really can't see that the 2 things are directly linked as Nick is clearly going to be out of a Premier League place which was the whole reason this all started.

Morris wants to go to Sheffield.

Bates is drafted by Swindon.

Swindon accuse Sheffield of an illegal approach to Morris by a third party.

Bates Grandfather is one of the new owners at Sheffield.

Bates is released by Swindon to go to Sheffield.

Sheffield drop their interest in Morris.

And you can't see a connection?