British Speedway Forum

Robins 2014

The likelihood of a 3 hour drive was there when he agree to be part of the draft and they wouldn't have taken that decision lightly. Whether it's the right move for the kid or not doesn't hide the fact that the Robins have next to no options now. That's a hard enough pill to swallow but more so when you consider they had the pick of everyone available in R2. Now they have to make do with those riders that were overlooked.

Rosco is not concerned so have faith in your team boss, at bottom of your own press statement he has got a couple of irons in fire.

And to be fair to Bates at the time of the draft Sheffield were not known as running next season but now we are he obviously wants to ride in premier league for his local track and Rosco understands that and i applaud him for that.

• Like 1

And to be fair to Bates at the time of the draft Sheffield were not known as running next season but now we are he obviously wants to ride in premier league for his local track and Rosco understands that and i applaud him for that.

TBF, it's irrelevant. The draft rules were you had to ride where placed. Technically, if Swindon had picked Steve Worrall who had already signed for Edinburgh he'd have no no choice but to ride for Coventry unless they were feeling as nice/soft as Rosco clearly is.

Rosco is not concerned so have faith in your team boss, at bottom of your own press statement he has got a couple of irons in fire.

I can see all the logic in the lad wanting to ride for his local club. The irons in the fire that are mentioned can only be the riders that all the other clubs saw as not being ready for a place. A position of some strength in having the first pick in R2 of the draft has now been lost, through no fault of the clubs.

TBF, it's irrelevant. The draft rules were you had to ride where placed. Technically, if Swindon had picked Steve Worrall who had already signed for Edinburgh he'd have no no choice but to ride for Coventry unless they were feeling as nice/soft as Rosco clearly is.

There's lots of young lads who will be piling up the miles to ride in their home meetings so whilst it is the right thing for Josh I wonder how the other lads are feeling now.

True - except its not the full story. 'Draftees' were to ride where placed - subject to their availability and other racing commitments!!

The chosen reserves wouldn't know their EL race night until the draft took place, so I don't see anything wrong with what Swindon, Sheffield or Bates have done in this instance. :t: Its pleasing to see different promotions working together for a change!

I hope there's a decent replacement in the wings!

• Like 1

Here's a scenario that could happen

We have Ben reade who's a Swindon lad so he's based local to yourselves.

Bates is a Barnsley lad. Only 1 hour from belle Vue.

Could there be a swap??????

Isn't this all about Morris staying at Swindon? Surely a change of reserve pales into insignificance compared to the possibility of having Morris in the team, if that's how it turns out.

Do you really think the 2 things are linked because it still means as it stands today that Nick has no Premier League slot which is what he wanted all along?.

It is a logical & common sense move that will hopefully help a young British rider & seems to be within the rules set out when the draft system was done.

Just a shame that it could start the ball rolling with other issues involving the other young lads.

Here's a scenario that could happen

We have Ben reade who's a Swindon lad so he's based local to yourselves.

Bates is a Barnsley lad. Only 1 hour from belle Vue.

Could there be a swap??????

Was thinking the exact thing but thought it would open a massive can of worms because surely that would've been sensible in the first place with Ben & Steve swapping teams.

So the first team to go back on the draft, letting bates go so they can grab another rider they had in mind. And there was everyone predicting that it would be Poole doing that first. I have no idea what the rule is on this but am sure other teams will follow Swindon's lead.

So the first team to go back on the draft, letting bates go so they can grab another rider they had in mind. And there was everyone predicting that it would be Poole doing that first. I have no idea what the rule is on this but am sure other teams will follow Swindon's lead.

With the spin you have put on what is a perfectly understandable situation I would hazard a guess that you are a Poole supporter :rolleyes:

Phil Morris tweeted we must choose from the 3 riders left in the draft. Basically we're knackered.

Rules were in place to stop racenight clashes for those Pl riders who had places prior to the draft. For instance, Garrity from Rye House couldn't go to Eastie or Leicester.

No such protection was thought through for post draft Pl signings.

Interesting to see Bates' quotes in the local rag. They sum the system up nicely:

"In the Elite League I would have been mainly riding against National League riders whereas in the PL I will be up against riders with more quality. It will be harder for me and allow me to develop."

"The EL may have been easier money for me and a big opportunity but the PL is a better chance for me to develop as a rider."

• Like 1

Yes that's right as Swindon now get to pick one of the 3 riders not originally picked to replace their original first pick in 2nd draft.

What a great move.

<personal abuse removed>

Yes that's right as Swindon now get to pick one of the 3 riders not originally picked to replace their original first pick in 2nd draft.

What a great move.

We could let you have Smart - he lives local to Swindon doesn't he? - then MF will 'discover' a new talent from the Scunny Stags!! :D:D:t:

I can understand Bates wanting to ride PL, he is a young lad with very little PL experience and riding at that level is vital in his situation.

Bates and Reade swapping would be the perfect solution IF both riders and all ten clubs were in agreement.

• Like 1

I can understand Bates wanting to ride PL, he is a young lad with very little PL experience and riding at that level is vital in his situation.

Bates and Reade swapping would be the perfect solution IF both riders and all ten clubs were in agreement.

I doubt whether Bates would want to ride 3 leagues!!

Don't see why other clubs would need to agree - sorry but Swindon's business is their own responsibility (within the rules). Trying to get 10 BSPA promoters to agree to anything is a bit of a Herculean task.

• Like 1