British Speedway Forum

Robins 2014

I see they have managed to update the website to show that it is now Lakeside. I do have the webpage saved with the original fixture. ;)

Pity really...could have been a real money spinner in the current climate.

DATE OPPONENTS COMP. H/A
RESULT
MARCH Sun 30 Bob Kilby Memorial Ind. HOME - APRIL
Thu 03 Coventry EL HOME
-
Mon 07 Belle Vue EL Away
-
Thu 10 Belle Vue EL HOME
-
Fri 18 Poole EL HOME
-
Fri 18 Poole EL Away
-
Thu 24 Eastbourne EL HOME
-
Fri 25 Lakeside EL Away
-
MAY
Thu 01 Birmingham EL HOME
-
Thu 08 Lakeside EL HOME
-
Fri 09 Coventry EL Away
-
Mon 12 Wolverhampton EL Away
-
Wed 14 King's Lynn EL Away
-
Thu 15 Wolverhampton EL HOME
-
Thu 22 Leicester EL HOME
-
Sat 24 Eastbourne EL Away
-
Thu 29 Belle Vue EL HOME
-
Fri 30 Lakeside EL Away
-
JUNE
Thu 12 Swindon EL HOME
-
Sat 21 Leicester EL Away
-
Thu 26 Coventry EL HOME
-
Mon 30 Wolverhampton EL Away
-
JULY Edited by theblueboy

Yes....have a look at the Robins website. http://www.swindonrobins.co/fixtures14.php (I hope I have done it right...bit of a technophobe)

Very clear that a local derby taking place. Get your ticket early Skidder. It will packed to the rafters.

These are the Poole fixtures listed in June so something is wrong?

Wed 04-Jun H Poole Wolverhampton League (A) Wed 11-Jun H Poole Leicester League (A) Wed 18-Jun H Poole Reserved Fri 20-Jun A Coventry Poole League (A) Wed 25-Jun H Poole Birmingham League Mon 30-Jun A Belle Vue Poole League

The Swindon fixtures for June are:

JUNE

Thu 12 Lakeside EL HOME

-

Sat 21 Leicester EL Away

-

Thu 26 Coventry EL HOME

-

Mon 30 Wolverhampton EL Away

Swindon entertain Poole on Thur 10th July :t:

Edited by Poole Quay 7

No Elite Shield this year as there are more league fixtures!!?

Great 'double header' on Good Friday though - I guess Poole in the morning and Swindon in the evening - should be a good day!!

I wonder if Morris will be riding? :wink:

So no Elite Shield because of more fixtures but still pre-season challenges but not at Swindon who instead choose to again run an individual meeting that loses money.

Poole opened last year with the Elite Shield, why not this time round?

Meaningful meetings will always attract better crowds than speedway for the sake of it IMO.

What you unsurprisingly fail to comprehend is that SWC meetings are not run on tiddly little trick tracks like Monmore or Kirky Lane. They are ridden on large fast tracks and riders like Cooke wouldn't see Janowski for dust.

To compare the two on an international stage shows your lack of knowledge of international speedway.

You are happy to compare Cook`s performances at Poole as justification of his ability so its only fair i use your logic to judge Janowski.

Puzzling that a World Class rider like Janowski cant master a track known to be the fairest in the EL.

Even Gollob could master it after 2 races. A mark of World class.

Your knowledge of International Speedway is lacking because you think talented youngsters from abroad should stay on a 4 point assessed average (when riding for Poole naturally) when the rest of the sensible EL posters think a starting 5 is the best way forward.

Blue biased as always.

No Steve it is you that is biased. Everyone knows Monmore is a silly little trick track. It might provide some decent racing but I for one would loath to watch my speedway there every week. If you like slowway that's your prerogative. Monmore is hardly a fair track and has massive home advantage. You know this as well as the rest of us

Janowski is a young rider with virtually no experience of tiny tracks. But SWC is ridden on large tracks so as I say, Cooke would not get close to him.

Onto Millik and a 4 is completely correct. Your argument doesn't have a leg to stand on because Millik fits the exact criteria set out to be a 4 point rider. No top flight experience in any league and no GP experience. Your argument is based purely on the fact that Poole have signed him and you don't like it. So you attempt to dress it up as "all new riders should be a 5", without any thought to the different abilities of foreign riders.

No Steve it is you that is biased. Everyone knows Monmore is a silly little trick track. It might provide some decent racing but I for one would loath to watch my speedway there every week. If you like slowway that's your prerogative. Monmore is hardly a fair track and has massive home advantage. You know this as well as the rest of us

Janowski is a young rider with virtually no experience of tiny tracks. But SWC is ridden on large tracks so as I say, Cooke would not get close to him.

Onto Millik and a 4 is completely correct. Your argument doesn't have a leg to stand on because Millik fits the exact criteria set out to be a 4 point rider. No top flight experience in any league and no GP experience. Your argument is based purely on the fact that Poole have signed him and you don't like it. So you attempt to dress it up as "all new riders should be a 5", without any thought to the different abilities of foreign riders.

That is why you get more fans and riders saying that racing and riding at Wolves is better than most other places.

Your dismissal of Wolves doesnt surprise me, your anti Wolves stance is to be expected.

If it is such a tricky track with massive home advantage how come we lost 3 matches at home last season?? Its a track the riders love and know its the best prepared in the UK. Even Miskowiak scored a 7 ride paid maximum on his debut at Wolves!

Think it proves that Janowski is just a big track rider and that is why he will remain an average EL rider.

Probably the worst visiting rider to Wolves last year in his lacking ability to ride our track.

As for assessed riders, if you wish to stay totally blinkered that is your (blue) prerogative. If a rider is good enough to race here then 5 IS a fair assessment, To not see that is showing your blue tints in all there glory.

So no Elite Shield because of more fixtures but still pre-season challenges but not at Swindon who instead choose to again run an individual meeting that loses money.

Poole opened last year with the Elite Shield, why not this time round?

Meaningful meetings will always attract better crowds than speedway for the sake of it IMO.

That's a tad disrespectful. The meeting is run in honour of one of Swindon's finest riders and this year combined with another local legend in Malcolm Holloway.

The ES would be no more than a glorified friendly in any case. I would much rather watch this meeting than watch Poole (no disrespect intended) particularly as we will see them on Good Friday.

I am not sure why you would think that a Poole ES meeting would attract more than the BK particularly as it is being held on a Sunday this year, with an early evening slot and at a time where it will it be only -8 stood on the 2nd bend rather than the usual arctic conditions in which David Hempleman Adams would feel at home. :P

I like the meeting schedule, especially home and away against Poole on fri April 18th, but note the Swindon schedule appears to be wrong. According to the bspa and Poole sites the meeting at Poole is first with the meeting at Swindon in the evening.

Edited by A ORLOV

That's a tad disrespectful. The meeting is run in honour of one of Swindon's finest riders and this year combined with another local legend in Malcolm Holloway.

The ES would be no more than a glorified friendly in any case. I would much rather watch this meeting than watch Poole (no disrespect intended) particularly as we will see them on Good Friday.

I don't believe it's disrespectful and certainly I didn't intend it to be. I'm looking purely at the economic perspective. The club are capable of paying their respects and recognising 'passed' former riders without having to incur a large financial risk. That they have staged this meeting every year since Bob's passing is a credit to the club.

It's a fact that the meeting costs money to run and no club should be put in a position where they feel obliged, especially in the current climate. If enough supporters came to watch it then fair enough, but the fact is they don't. You need a quality field to attract any sort of crowd but there isn't sufficient appetite amongst the supporters for an individual meeting and hasn't been for years. That's not a Swindon problem, it's the same across the whole of the sport. Supporters want meaningful meetings, they pick and choose, that's why the KOC was ditched.

Clearly the fixture list would have been adjusted had the Elite Shield been held and the club recognise the attraction Poole present otherwise they wouldn't have scheduled them for Good Friday and the Thursday before Cardiff, as usual. Most clubs have arranged pre-season challenge matches, even Poole, who recognise the need for a team fixture rather than risk jumping straight into league action cold.

I would have done what Poole did last year and used the Elite Shield as the warm up fixture but with the added spice of it being, firstly against Poole and secondly, for some silverware. Any team fixture would cost substantially less to run than an individual meeting with a prize fund in the region of £15k. A conscious decision must have been taken by both the interested clubs not to run the ES this year which is wrong IMO.

Edited by Double Up

I like the meeting schedule, especially home and away against Poole on fri April 18th, but note the Swindon schedule appears to be wrong. According to the bspa and Poole sites the meeting at Poole is first with the meeting at Swindon in the evening.

I think the Poole leg is due to start at 11am (to be confirmed)!

• Like 1

I don't believe it's disrespectful and certainly I didn't intend it to be. I'm looking purely at the economic perspective. The club are capable of paying their respects and recognising 'passed' former riders without having to incur a large financial risk. That they have staged this meeting every year since Bob's passing is a credit to the club.

It's a fact that the meeting costs money to run and no club should be put in a position where they feel obliged, especially in the current climate. If enough supporters came to watch it then fair enough, but the fact is they don't. You need a quality field to attract any sort of crowd but there isn't sufficient appetite amongst the supporters for an individual meeting and hasn't been for years. That's not a Swindon problem, it's the same across the whole of the sport. Supporters want meaningful meetings, they pick and choose, that's why the KOC was ditched.

Clearly the fixture list would have been adjusted had the Elite Shield been held and the club recognise the attraction Poole present otherwise they wouldn't have scheduled them for Good Friday and the Thursday before Cardiff, as usual. Most clubs have arranged pre-season challenge matches, even Poole, who recognise the need for a team fixture rather than risk jumping straight into league action cold.

I would have done what Poole did last year and used the Elite Shield as the warm up fixture but with the added spice of it being, firstly against Poole and secondly, for some silverware. Any team fixture would cost substantially less to run than an individual meeting with a prize fund in the region of £15k. A conscious decision must have been taken by both the interested clubs not to run the ES this year which is wrong IMO.

Do the promotion feel 'obliged' though to run this meeting?

I don't doubt that Poole are a big attraction as last year's home fixture proved and providing the weather is good a healthy crowd will be expected this time too.

However, regardless of that I doubt that Poole in an ES fixture in March would have the locals salivating either. Whether the meeting is against Poole or in an individual meet most riders will be testing equipment and set ups. I would suggest that the line up that contested the BK last year was much stronger than any line up that Poole could put out and the Swindon top 5 will have 5 rides against seasoned EL pro's so on that basis, the meeting will be better for the riders than a normal team meeting

The club have decided to honour one of best local riders and the event should be supported. I am sure the promotion do their sums (well they should!) in advance of the season. Pete Toogood is now on board the ship should be much tighter and hopefully the club will be run better than it has for the last 3-4 years.

• Like 1

Do the promotion feel 'obliged' though to run this meeting?

I don't doubt that Poole are a big attraction as last year's home fixture proved and providing the weather is good a healthy crowd will be expected this time too.

However, regardless of that I doubt that Poole in an ES fixture in March would have the locals salivating either. Whether the meeting is against Poole or in an individual meet most riders will be testing equipment and set ups. I would suggest that the line up that contested the BK last year was much stronger than any line up that Poole could put out and the Swindon top 5 will have 5 rides against seasoned EL pro's so on that basis, the meeting will be better for the riders than a normal team meeting

The club have decided to honour one of best local riders and the event should be supported. I am sure the promotion do their sums (well they should!) in advance of the season. Pete Toogood is now on board the ship should be much tighter and hopefully the club will be run better than it has for the last 3-4 years.

You can only balance the books after the event and the event won't be cheap if you want profile riders in it. If it's not supported well, and better than an average league crowd, it will lose money and where is the point in that?

Edited by Double Up

You can only balance the books after the event and the event won't be cheap if you want profile riders in it. If it's not supported well, and better than an average league crowd, it will lose money and where is the point in that?

Of course. The club has been precariously balanced for a number of seasons now. There is nothing worse than reading the club's financial issues in both the local papers and the trade press that riders have not been paid. The club needs financial stability.

However, last year's meeting contained a very good cross section of riders in the EL including the new World Champion and the now 3rd in the world. If people can't be tempted to turn out for a meeting containing GP riders, the Swindon top 5 and some reasonable EL riders then why would you go instead and watch Darcy and 6 others (as box office as Ward is)

You will never please everyone with an individual meeting but the club are doing what they think is right.

With Morris now a major doubt, as new Team GB manager surely roscoe will pick a Brit for the last position. What about Josh Auty?? Needs to set an example!!!

I trust your post is intended as tonge in cheek mischief making?...if not i am pretty sure Swindon fans would be delighted to see our side weakened just to benefit GB......NOT

I trust your post is intended as tonge in cheek mischief making?...if not i am pretty sure Swindon fans would be delighted to see our side weakened just to benefit GB......NOT

Club before country?

Let's hope the riders don't adopt that attitude too, eh?

An article in the adver states that the Elite Shield will be run on a date to be announced.

This is good news as any meeting against Poole is well worth watching.

Why would the shield involve Swindon? Edited by Steve Shovlar