British Speedway Forum

Robins 2014

I remember those cheese and onion rolls yerropes....My father would pick me up sometime during the second half, and often I would have one of those rolls clutched firmly in my hand for the trip home! :D

You two been on the sherry? I suppose you can agree once a year...... :t:

Yes i do agree with him sometimes,but i don't always tell him.My first memories of the Abbey is having a cheap and a dearer side to go on,to go on the starting gate side then was a treat.I used to go on the cheap side go in the pits and get autographs they were the days.Also collect the coke bottles and get some money back what a laugh that was great memories but the track for me is a a standout whatever. The new stadium you have will never replace the superb Abbey racetrack ever but i suppose time has to move on.

Times move on orion....fans aren't content with grass banks and toilets that haven't been changed since the 1950's anymore. The Abbey is a second rate stadium.

No offence but do you see the sort of people who go to speedway ...hardly the sort who worry about what the stadium is like ...i Remember the New Hackney stadium and how the Speedway fans wanted it but before you knew it it went bust . The fans never cared how posh and new the stadium was .

Good point blueboy. The timing was right for Tomlinson to feather his nest before moving on to bigger and better things, and never looking back. He's not even a Wiltshire boy so couldn't care less in any case!

Yes i do agree with him sometimes,but i don't always tell him.My first memories of the Abbey is having a cheap and a dearer side to go on,to go on the starting gate side then was a treat.I used to go on the cheap side go in the pits and get autographs they were the days.Also collect the coke bottles and get some money back what a laugh that was great memories but the track for me is a a standout whatever. The new stadium you have will never replace the superb Abbey racetrack ever but i suppose time has to move on.

I too used to yearn to be able to afford to stand over on the 'dear' side. Not so sure that the Abbey track is as good as it used to be. Many passing lines in the 70's. Nowadays, maybe two or three meetings per year where you could say the same.

Ashby driving up the inside into the third bend was common place. Nowadays it never happens. Maybe Harris does it, Nick Morris maybe. The straights need to be shorter in my opinion. More like a Sheffield/Somerset/Peterborough/Scunthorpe.

From what I can see, the fact that new planning includes new houses, that alone will signal the end of speedway on this site.

Can you imagine people wanting to buy new houses next to a race track with the noise generated on a weekly basis. No Way !!!!!!

The people who have agreed this, know what the outcome will be, and those, who think otherwise, are living in cuckoo land.

• Like 1

Good point blueboy. The timing was right for Tomlinson to feather his nest before moving on to bigger and better things, and never looking back. He's not even a Wiltshire boy so couldn't care less in any case!

I too used to yearn to be able to afford to stand over on the 'dear' side. Not so sure that the Abbey track is as good as it used to be. Many passing lines in the 70's. Nowadays, maybe two or three meetings per year where you could say the same.

Ashby driving up the inside into the third bend was common place. Nowadays it never happens. Maybe Harris does it, Nick Morris maybe. The straights need to be shorter in my opinion. More like a Sheffield/Somerset/Peterborough/Scunthorpe.

probably half the fans are not Wiltshire-born Moonrakers, when you talk to the locals, loads of peeps born outside of Wiltshire, Londoners, Geordies, Jocks, Taffies, Paddies, Northern gits..(Im a cockney geezer meself.)

From what I can see, the fact that new planning includes new houses, that alone will signal the end of speedway on this site.

Can you imagine people wanting to buy new houses next to a race track with the noise generated on a weekly basis. No Way !!!!!!

The people who have agreed this, know what the outcome will be, and those, who think otherwise, are living in cuckoo land.

I would love an apartment overlooking the track. The local estate St.Andrews Ridge was built over 10 years ago, people knew there was motor-sport nearby. There's only been a couple of complaints. Don't buy there if you don't want some noise for about 30 hours per year!

Edited by marllamb downsman
  • Like 2

Worrying GR.!

Maybe it is me ER? since they put some banking on it has not been as good i love the long straights though.As you said Ashby dive bombing on the line was a joy odviously Briggo was the master (mr excitement) after Crump senior and the awesome Adams we have not done to bad have we.!

In Peterborough, many years ago, a local golf course, sold off a piece of land to a developer, who then built 6 quality homes on the land, knowing it was next to the golf course.

Shortly afterwards, just because of a few wayward golf shots went in the direction of these houses, the club had to make alterations to the first hole to alleviate this problem.

The fact the golf course, had been there for years meant nothing, Once objections are raised then it presents a different scenario, and complaints from those houses will always take preference over any sporting exercise, regardless of who was there first.

In Peterborough, many years ago, a local golf course, sold off a piece of land to a developer, who then built 6 quality homes on the land, knowing it was next to the golf course.

Shortly afterwards, just because of a few wayward golf shots went in the direction of these houses, the club had to make alterations to the first hole to alleviate this problem.

The fact the golf course, had been there for years meant nothing, Once objections are raised then it presents a different scenario, and complaints from those houses will always take preference over any sporting exercise, regardless of who was there first.

Not what happened at Mildenhall though, they're still running. And I wouldn't swear there's been no objections from residents at EoES since houses have been built there. There will always be the fear that if they stopped running they wouldn't be allowed back.

Edited by Barney Rabbit

Nothing wrong with the Abbey Stadium (well actually, there is), but I'd prefer it if things remained just the same as they have done over the last 30 years +

The only real downside over these years is the closure of the back straight facilities - they used to do excellent Cheese & Onion rolls when I was a youngster !

Fingers crossed for the future, but you do only have to look elsewhere to question whether the New Stadium will actually come to fruition..

God I'd forgotten those rather excellent Cheese & Onion Rolls, I could just eat one now!

• Like 1

Seriously! People wont refuse to buy an house merely on the fact there will be two hours of noise 2 or if were lucky 3 times a month between late march and october..more on the fact if the location price size and design isnt suitable..and those that do will be asked to sign an amnesty of non complaining about said noise.

This will still drag on and on and i suspect we will be still speculating on this matter in a few years plus i suspect Mr Toogood may have alternative options as i cannot imagine he would want to come back to Swindon if he felt there was a risk of our future...in any case doesnt he still own a stadium in Glastonbury......;p

In any case calm down people we have more immediate pressing matters like who may have to replace the Kid Morra!

• Like 2

As opposed to the cold bag of chips and the rubber burgers that they sell nowadays... ;)

At least the rubber burgers are about 3 quid? as opposed to the 6 quid cold,rubberyish ones at Towcester racecourse(free admission though!). The chips ain't too bad if covered in curry sauce, and you cant go wrong with a Kit Kat/Mars Bar, and you can take your own food and drink into speedway. More important will they get softer Andrex bog roll or will Kid Morra sign?

God I'd forgotten those rather excellent Cheese & Onion Rolls, I could just eat one now!

Fear not I know exactly how they did those rolls. Take a bread roll. Slice in in half and spread butter.

Get some very cheap cheese and slice liberally. Take one onion and slice into generous chunks. Place contents in roll and close the bread around it. There you go. :)

You don't say! Now tell me Buzz, you were on of the staff serving 'em up!!

From memory, it was always the women that served the rolls etc, they were those incredibly friendly types, with the very large chests and stout dispositions..

As a result of your post ER, I will now forever see Buzz as a tolier behind that counter :lol: (sorry Buzz)..

You don't say! Now tell me Buzz, you were on of the staff serving 'em up!!

Reminds me of when I worked in the Town End kiosk at the County Ground in the 70s... making up cheese rolls cut me finger and blood dripped onto the cheese. Still put the now pink slice of blood-stained cheese into the roll and watched someone take a bite without realising it. Bloody lovely!

The thing that worries me the most is the stadium will go the way of Reading. Drove past it the other week, they shut it demolished it and walked away. No new stadium and the old site just left. Reading could have carried on there for another few seasons. If they demolish the Abbey will it get rebuilt ?

The thing that worries me the most is the stadium will go the way of Reading. Drove past it the other week, they shut it demolished it and walked away. No new stadium and the old site just left. Reading could have carried on there for another few seasons. If they demolish the Abbey will it get rebuilt ?

The council will not allow the old stadium to be knocked down until the new one is built, part of the original agreement if I remember rightly? Justin Tomlinson is also still watching over things as he has been bombarded on Twitter and Facebook by fans, Quote.... "Re: Concerns about complaints of noise from residents of the new houses. Hmm, not sure they'd have much grounds buying a house next to a stadium! In theory the same worry applied when St. Andrews Ridge was built, but residents not only didn't complain, but overwhelmingly supported the campaign to keep the stadium in 2008.

Finally have also been working hard to make sure the community facilities are enhanced, in particular the market facility being upgraded which is much needed for the hard working traders. I have also put forward a number of local organisations / businesses that potentially could also use space within the new stand."

• Like 3