British Speedway Forum

Sheffield 2014

I think the main objective will be or should be is make Owlerton a fortress again, and stop the amount of meetings we lost at home over the last two seasons.

The other is get the balance of the team right, that's with having a set of riders are entertaining and those who are good gaters.

Riders with passion for the club, Tiger Owl touch on this with Ricky Wells, and in a way I agree with him. When Ricky Wells won a race he never engaged with the crowd, in fact when he did win and did a lap of honour he looked everywhere apart from the crowd. I was never a massive Ricky Ashworth fan, but when Ricky won his races he celebrated and he celebrated it with the crowd, and he gave you the impression that he wanted and was proud to wear the clubs colours.

We have done the right thing by making Simon Stead the first signing, he is one of us and cares about the club, and the club have said to him that he will have some say in how the team is made up.

Oily Rag has a point that Damien Koppe did not pull up many trees last season, but lets not forget that before he was injured he did rack up some decent points and beat some decent riders. Personally I would agree with Oily and would rather go with a young Brit like Olly Greenwood, but with new owners none of us know what the budget for riders wages is going to be any maybe we might have to take a hit

But there is still plenty of riders out there for us to go at. Most fans thought that Lawson was nailed on at Sheffield to be honest I was not too disappointed that the club missed out on him, I would have much preferred to have seen Olly Allen but we missed out on him too.

I would be definitely be up for Adam Roynon .returning and I think he would jump at the chance of riding for the club again, like Simon Stead would be a rider that would get the fans up off their feet.

One rider mentioned by Oily Rag, was Ben Wilson, who if he got the figures right would have a starting average of 4. If Ben is up for it and has the equipment then I think he has be carefully consider for a spot in the team.

But I don't think anyone should panic at the moment as there are plenty of riders to choose from.

• Like 1

Some good points there. I was told that the track surface has not been topped up for about 3 years, and in my opinion that has contributed to the many defeats and processional racing. Presentation also needs refreshing. As for Damien, from my viewing angle, he has not yet mastered how to enter the first bend at Owlerton, a problem that Simon Lambert used to have. Once Simon sorted that out, he was a different rider and his general scoring improved. If Damien can do the same, he will improve no end.

• Like 1

If Sheffield don't have Facundo Albin back, they are crazy.

Raw as anything, in a strange country and limited as to equipment, he ENTERTAINED each time I saw him ride.

Clearly the Sheffield spectators took him to their hearts. Get him back, get him someone to set him up with a hot engine and watch him go.

If the Tigers don't want him, there would be a number of tracks who will.

• Like 1

What about young Joe Jacobs, the lad rides the track well and has now got his first season in PL under his belt. I remember seeing him in the u19s at Sheffield and getting a fast time that could win heat 2 most weeks? His a young Brit.

Id have Joe Jacobs at reserve most definitely, always rated him. Isnt he in Glasgow's plans for 2014 ?

Also on a side note, threw this lineup together, could be solid.

Stead
Skidmore
Roynon
Albin
Ostergaard
Koppe
Greenwood/ Joe Jacobs

I just hope we are not going down the same rout as the last two season. Been there done that does not work. We need the new owners to come in now. Then they can say what budget we have for team building, and what plans they have for Sheffield going foreword. I don't no how we can build a team if they don't no how much money there is to spend on the team. All these riders that are being suggested it's pie in the sky if you don't no how much cash you can offer them.

One rider mentioned by Oily Rag, was Ben Wilson, who if he got the figures right would have a starting average of 4. If Ben is up for it and has the equipment then I think he has be carefully consider for a spot in the team.

Oilyrag always mentions Ben Wilson; I believe you posted last year that Ben works for him (or was it his father); so assuming that is true there is no shock that at every opportunity Ben is mentioned :)