British Speedway Forum

Sheffield 2014

Have to agree with you to a certain extent would find it very hard to support him, I too remember that move on Birko and it was totally unnecessary, I suppose you could put it down to inexperience and youthfulness, but I don't think I have ever seen a more clear cut case of taking out a rider as that night.

I was on the spanners that night and I can't remember being so incensed at a speedway meeting, in my opinion inexperience had nothing to do with it, he 'turned right' on Birko and that's something that can't be excused.

The more I think about this, the more I'm thinking that if we sign him, I would rather go to Scunny on a Friday than help pay his wages!

Edited by Tony The Tiger
  • Like 1

I was on the spanners that night and I can't remember being so incensed at a speedway meeting, in my opinion inexperience had nothing to do with it, he 'turned right' on Birko and that's something that can't be excused.

The more I think about this, the more I'm thinking that if we sign him, I would rather go to Scunny on a Friday than help pay his wages!

I also know what Gathercole said to Birko after the race.

Lets just say not for repeating on this forum.

there was a worse one, vissing on coops, vissing is another rider i could never support after that move

Too be honest forgot about that one, and we have it on DVD.

Vissing actually looked too where Cooper was before taking him out.

If Gathercole signs for Sheffield, I'll have to give serious thought as to whether I'll be wasting £15 of my hard earned money every week.

I remember the move he pulled on James Birkinshaw quite a few years ago which resulted in a broken hand for James.

Gathercole is a rider whom I'd lose no sleep if I never saw him ride in this country again. An average, dirty rider who's team place would be better filled by ANY Brit out there!

Yes TTT Birko did have some spills and cant remember many being his fault , toss up between that one and the Tosser Smith(spit!)one at Birmingham for the worse ... do one Cory !

• Like 1

What about young Joe Jacobs, the lad rides the track well and has now got his first season in PL under his belt. I remember seeing him in the u19s at Sheffield and getting a fast time that could win heat 2 most weeks? His a young Brit.

Now there's an idea!!!! Joe is one of the most underrated of the British youngsters. As I've said elsewhere, his average has improved every year and last year he held the no 1 and captains spot at Coventry all year. Also held the track record, and here's the best bit - he loves Sheffield and rides it really well.

Now there's an idea!!!! Joe is one of the most underrated of the British youngsters. As I've said elsewhere, his average has improved every year and last year he held the no 1 and captains spot at Coventry all year. Also held the track record, and here's the best bit - he loves Sheffield and rides it really well.

Joe Jacobs under the guidance of Stead could be the signing of the season, great little rider who loves Sheffield and rides the place very well. Id love to have him in the team for sure. Could this one happen though if we are starting talks with Facu ?

In my way of thinking, if someone will do a good job for my team - Gathercole scored paid 13 from 5 starts for Plymouth last season including a last heat decider heat 15 win over Stead and if memory serves me correctly Vissing is pretty good at Owlerton too - a one off incident years ago would certainly not make me object to signing him. By doing so, here you rule out two (or perhaps more) riders who could do you a very good job and who at least potentially will come to your place for someone else and stuff you.

I find it astonishing that a fan would even think about deserting their team and go and support their nearest rivals instead over the signing of one rider and one move he made several seasons ago.

• Like 3

Ok Joe we get the message :)

If Gathercole signed for Sheffield youd soon love him... remember Ashworth at Berwick? Punched Makovsky and the fans played hell.... now hes their hero.

Ive seen Birkenshaw pull some shocking moves on some of the small tracks before as well.... most riders do.

• Like 1

In my way of thinking, if someone will do a good job for my team - Gathercole scored paid 13 from 5 starts for Plymouth last season including a last heat decider heat 15 win over Stead and if memory serves me correctly Vissing is pretty good at Owlerton too - a one off incident years ago would certainly not make me object to signing him. By doing so, here you rule out two (or perhaps more) riders who could do you a very good job and who at least potentially will come to your place for someone else and stuff you.

I find it astonishing that a fan would even think about deserting their team and go and support their nearest rivals instead over the signing of one rider and one move he made several seasons ago.

I don't think I would go as far as going to another track and supporting another team.

A speedway team comprises of 7 riders and 6 would get my support not so sure I could guarantee the same for either Vissing or Gathercole.

Both incidents talked about were blatant dirty riding, and totally out of order, and to be honest I frankly would not welcome either at Sheffield.

Yes Gathercole had a good meeting at Sheffield last season, but that was the exception rather than the norm, and that was against not one of the better Sheffield teams.

Vissing is in my opinion a nutcase, I think since the Paul Cooper incident he has been to Sheffield 3 times, twice he has finished up in the ambulance and had a stay in the Northern General Hospital, the man is accident waiting to happen

I don't think I would go as far as going to another track and supporting another team.

A speedway team comprises of 7 riders and 6 would get my support not so sure I could guarantee the same for either Vissing or Gathercole.

Both incidents talked about were blatant dirty riding, and totally out of order, and to be honest I frankly would not welcome either at Sheffield.

Yes Gathercole had a good meeting at Sheffield last season, but that was the exception rather than the norm, and that was against not one of the better Sheffield teams.

Vissing is in my opinion a nutcase, I think since the Paul Cooper incident he has been to Sheffield 3 times, twice he has finished up in the ambulance and had a stay in the Northern General Hospital, the man is accident waiting to happen

Ahh Paul Cooper.... another clean, fair rider!

All teams have had their share of dirty riders over the years... Sean Wilson was at times dangerous and who can forget Andre Compton? Arguably the dirtiest rider ive seen at PL level.

If Gathercole signed you'd all be supporting him as you would with Vissing... stop kidding yourselves.

That comment about changing teams certainly wasn't aimed at you, Martin. I know only too well just how loyal and passionate you are about the Tigers, you have more than proved it over the last couple of seasons and I wouldn't question it for a second.

The thing is ruling out a potential rider because of a one off incident, however dirty. I'd agree that Gathercole hasn't always been that good at Sheffield but in my visits last season he was definitely one of (if not the) most impressive away riders. Sheffield's team wasn't good, but beating Stead in heat 15 at Owlerton most certainly is.

Its about building an attractive, winning team at Sheffield and I really think that that means getting the best you can and excluding someone for his actions in one race is very wrong indeed.

The other thing in this(Pinny has beat me to it) is neither Wilson nor Compton were/are saints - I have certainly seen Wilson take a couple of riders off at Sheffield and elsewhere. No-one objected to them, did they ?

• Like 1

So you'd rather have a foreign rider who can only be described as mediocre at best in your team?

I'd rather join the Oilyrag bandwagon...BRING BACK BEN WILSON!!

All teams have had their share of dirty riders over the years... Sean Wilson was at times dangerous and who can forget Andre Compton? Arguably the dirtiest rider ive seen at PL level.

If Gathercole signed you'd all be supporting him as you would with Vissing... stop kidding yourselves.

maybe but I doubt it.

That comment about changing teams certainly wasn't aimed at you, Martin. I know only too well just how loyal and passionate you are about the Tigers, you have more than proved it over the last couple of seasons and I wouldn't question it for a second.

The thing is ruling out a potential rider because of a one off incident, however dirty. I'd agree that Gathercole hasn't always been that good at Sheffield but in my visits last season he was definitely one of (if not the) most impressive away riders. Sheffield's team wasn't good, but beating Stead in heat 15 at Owlerton most certainly is.

Its about building an attractive, winning team at Sheffield and I really think that that means getting the best you can and excluding someone for his actions in one race is very wrong indeed.

The other thing in this(Pinny has beat me to it) is neither Wilson nor Compton were/are saints - I have certainly seen Wilson take a couple of riders off at Sheffield and elsewhere. No-one objected to them, did they ?

I appreciate those words,, maybe its a blind spot on my part but I just don't want either of those riders riding for my team. But like I say it would not stop supporting the team and I would not be sway to going to another track to support another team.

i think i know my mind better than you

vissing wasnt just dangerous, he watched cooper coming past him all the way down the back straight and then put his back wheel in his way forcing him into the fence at high speed, not just dirty but on purpose, i would never cheer for this rider.

Gathercole wasnt far off doing the same thing to birko, he just speared him and sent him into the fence, both Sheffield riders were very lucky to walk away, not something i will forget even if they did ride for us, which i hope they will never do

neither rider went to the other to see how they were, vissing even coming out for a lap of honour even though he was taken out of his next race

Edited by The Third Man

Seems fellow Sheffield fans want a crap team again next year then :)

Cory is not a dirty rider and makes one mistake against your lovely chap Birko that you will just not let go, just look at our teams through years and we have had our fair share of riders who made similar mistakes.

I can certainly remember Kyle Legault making a ill advised move on bend 3 against Rye House few years back, was worst case of dirty riding i have ever seen.

It seems some Sheffield fans just want a team of riders they know and are friends with than wanting promotion to get the best team possible and this has gone on for years and that is why last two season we have ended up near bottom.

• Like 1

Seems fellow Sheffield fans want a crap team again next year then :)

Cory is not a dirty rider and makes one mistake against your lovely chap Birko that you will just not let go, just look at our teams through years and we have had our fair share of riders who made similar mistakes.

I can certainly remember Kyle Legault making a ill advised move on bend 3 against Rye House few years back, was worst case of dirty riding i have ever seen.

It seems some Sheffield fans just want a team of riders they know and are friends with than wanting promotion to get the best team possible and this has gone on for years and that is why last two season we have ended up near bottom.

Where have I said I want a losing team.

I haven't .

So putting aside my not wanting Gathercole that have already been spoken about I will say this.

The one thing that I will say is that for next season the Sheffield team has to be built to win meetings at home, and to not drop points at home.

We basically need to build a team that will make Sheffield a fortress.

Checked up Gathercole's record around Sheffield and as I suspected taking out his score last season because most riders had their best meetings at Sheffield last season Gathercole averaged around Sheffield the 5 previous season 4.91, not very prolific.

His average over the last two seasons has seen his average generally dropped which suggests a little of a slide in form.

At this present moment in time I think there are riders out there who can do a better job than Cory..

As for wanting friends or riders that they knew.

Ben Wilson name has been mentioned, Oily Rag seem to think than Ben would get a reduction which would mean his starting average 4.00.

If that is the case then I think that as long as the lad has the desire and equipment we would be foolish not to consider him, especially if we can start him off at reserve.

We all have differing views on riders and all have riders that we would want and riders that we don't want.

But to suggest that I want a team that is rubbish or a losing team is wrong.

Edited by spin king
  • Like 2

One of the dirtiest moves I can ever remember was the Compton/Stead PLRC final that was on tele. Infact the Sheffield '99 top 4 of Wilson, Compton, Stead and Smith must be one of the hardest/dirtiest top 4s ever! And Stead is almost saintly too! Scud Smith, the only rider I've seen wipe out 3 riders in 1 race in 3 separate moved :D

Vissing is a nut job though and Gathercole has a screw loose.

All riders mention in this post as being dirty/hard while maybe not top of my list of favourites are riders I'd happily pay to watch.