British Speedway Forum

Plymouth 2014

Haven't seen one of these for us yet so i might aswell get one going. Obviously this all depends on what happens with league structures but i am basing this on the current league format which of course might be retained.

So out of the current team who do i expect to stay:

Mikkel Bech - NO!It would be unbelievable if MB was to stay but cannot see it myself. I would expect him to be riding in Denmark, Poland and maybe an EL team next year but certainly not in the PL

Todd Kurtz - YES! would keep todd all day, always gives you 100% and fits perfectly in this team

Rasmus Jensen - YES i would think we'd be looking to keep 'Rasser'. He's done well since coming in and should go alright next season with 1 full year in the main body.

Michael Palm Toft - Would have to say NO, it's been difficult for him coming in with only 8 meetings to go and for me in my opinion he hasn't quite done it.

Mark Lemon - Gonna stick my neck on the line and say YES. He adds experience into this team and when needed will chip in and help Lee Trigger (i presume) and help with his management opinion. He chips in with valuable points most weeks and after 1 year at the SBA next year he could come good.

Jake Anderson - YES! been our best reserve since we joined the PL, he may not get 10+ most weeks like Lewis Kerr or Max Fricke (early season) but he would help out with 5 or 6 rides a night and get 18 bonus points i think, he's coming good at the SBA and is a must have for next year

So far then we have: 1...................... 2. Todd Kurtz (4.93) 3. Rasmus Jensen (7.00) 4............ 5. Mark Lemon (6.92) 6. Jake Anderson (3.68) 7............

This leaves 3 spaces to be filled and only 22.53 used out of the 42.50 allocation

so 19.97 left for 3 riders

Possible number 1's - Obvious choice is BEN BARKER (9.53), rode for 2 years here, local lad who enjoy's the sba and seemed to enjoy the westernapolis last week and rides once again this week. TY PROCTOR (9.22) was just coming good when he got injured and maybe would be worth another go next season or finally EDWARD KENNETT (N/A) Not sure what his average would be but someone i would enjoy seeing flying around the SBA if we ever got lucky and was able to sign him!

Possible number 4's - Only 2 real possibilities, CORY GATHERCOLE (6.82) captain cory was a rock in the middle order of the team and it was a real hammer blow when he got injured, i think 9/10 devils fans you ask would was cory back next season! Other choice would be RICKY WELLS (7.43) a top class rider around the SBA, guested a few times at number 1 and did well apart from 1 off night, a top rider who would fit right into the team.

Possible number 7's - todd kurtz with JASON BUNYAN (5.77) who was another to be unlucky in his first year in the devils colours. Been going well for Rye House this year and would be a great number 2 with Todd then slotting in at 6 or 7 and renewing a good partnership between himself and 'Ando'. STEVE BOXALL (N/A) who was supposed to be a devil last year would be another good signing either for number 2 again or at reserve depending on average, he would give us a bit of stability and i think could be a dark horse if we go down that route. Another choice and the on i've decided on is PAUL STARKE (3.00) who rides the SBA brilliantly and he showed with Newcastle he can hold his own at the level and chip in with helpful scores, and if thing's arn't going right for him then'll he'll still give 120% for the cause and that's what we need.

My chosen 'perfect 7'

1. Ben Barker (9.53)

2. Todd Kurtz (4.93)

3. Rasmus Jensen (7.00)

4. Cory Gathercole (6.82)

5. Mark Lemon (6.92)

6. Paul Starke (3.00)

7. Jake Anderson (3.62)

total - 41.82 (0.68 remaining)

• Like 1

Looking at tomorrow night's Colin Hill Memorial Challenge between the Devils and the Exeter Falcons line up's apart from Chris Harris, could it all be trials for the majority of the riders?

For all who don't know the line up's they are:

Plymouth: Ben Barker, Steve Boxall, Ricky Wells, Michael Palm Toft, Mark Lemon. Reserves: Jake Anderson, David Abraham.

Exeter Select: Chris Harris, Danny Maassen, Ryan Fisher, A N Other, Kevin Doolan. Reserves: Simon Nielsen, Connor Coles.

paul starke is not good enough around the sba against premier league opposition as his performances for berwick and in the recent westernapolis show 1pt from 7 rides,enough said and reading the berwick thread hes not that highly thought of either,ben read would be as good if not better and he is an asset so as for starke no thank-you

1.bech

2.todd kurts

3.jensen

4.gathercole

5.wells

6.anderson

7.brady kurts

wouldnt mind this line up next season at the sba!

My Plymouth team next year would have to include the two Danes (Bech and Jensen) if they are both committed to British Speedway and if Jensen rides tomorrow at Glasgow. I say that as Jensen will get a new average and become an asset if he completes one more away match, that would drop his average from assessed 7 to around 6.1ish.

Barker for me is a great rider but his average is very high meaning we have less room to manoeuvre in the rest of the side and I believe Bech will be a better option long term.

Steve Boxall, as shown last night, is still great value at the SBA and an average of 5.69 is very attractive if he is willing to commit.

Elsewhere Ricky Wells would be great as a 2nd heat leader and the Kurtz brothers would be a great reserve pair.

Tyson Nelson seems to like our track and if he can put aside his differences with Boxall would complete a very good looking top 5.

So for me...

Bech

Boxall

Nelson

Jensen

Wells

Kurtz

Kurtz

I think that fits but only if Rasmus rides tomorrow.

Elsewhere Mellgren would be an excellent signing as would someone like Garrity if he was available, also Robert Lambert at reserve and I wouldn't be too gutted if Cory returned.

I wouldn't want Lemon back nor Anderson I'm afraid. Jake is a top guy but hasn't done enough to warrant a place next year when in my opinion there are better around.

paul starke is not good enough around the sba against premier league opposition as his performances for berwick and in the recent westernapolis show 1pt from 7 rides,enough said and reading the berwick thread hes not that highly thought of either,ben read would be as good if not better and he is an asset so as for starke no thank-you

I think the majority of Berwick fans have been more than happy with the efforts of Starke,hes done more than was ever expected of him and at times his performances put his more experienced teamates to shame,if not Berwick then Im sure there`ll be takers for Starke come 2014.

• Like 1

One of the problems Plymouth have as I see it, is behind the scenes.

Losing Godfrey Spargo from the new consortium at the start of the season was a big loss.

Experience is lacking not only in the promotion but also at Team Manager.Perhaps Mark Lemon

could be persuaded to combine Australia and Plymouth manager duties.

One of the problems Plymouth have as I see it, is behind the scenes.

Losing Godfrey Spargo from the new consortium at the start of the season was a big loss.

Experience is lacking not only in the promotion but also at Team Manager.Perhaps Mark Lemon

could be persuaded to combine Australia and Plymouth manager duties.

Agree with almost all of what you are saying about the lack of experience behind the scenes. However, personally i would steer clear of Lemon, particularly after the inappropriate comments he made about Paul Starke on a social media site last week.

What I was trying to say was, as a former Trelawny supporter, I saw how much difference Rosco made in the pits when he came to ride for us.Helping other riders with set ups,encourgement,experience. Its no surprise to see him successful at Swindon.

Godfrey and Peter Dearing also built up good contacts in Europe.Remember them bringing a certain Mataj Zagar to british speedway.They seemed to take their time and put together teams that stayed together for the season.No swapping and changing,building something called team spirit.

All I am saying is the Plymouth promotion could do worse than look at Trelawny as a blueprint.

As a side note, dose anyone know if Emiliano Sanchez has been injured this season, or retired, or just not wanted.

What I was trying to say was, as a former Trelawny supporter, I saw how much difference Rosco made in the pits when he came to ride for us.Helping other riders with set ups,encourgement,experience. Its no surprise to see him successful at Swindon.

Godfrey and Peter Dearing also built up good contacts in Europe.Remember them bringing a certain Mataj Zagar to british speedway.They seemed to take their time and put together teams that stayed together for the season.No swapping and changing,building something called team spirit.

All I am saying is the Plymouth promotion could do worse than look at Trelawny as a blueprint.

As a side note, dose anyone know if Emiliano Sanchez has been injured this season, or retired, or just not wanted.

He had a couple of offers this year but they didn't work out for one reason or another, not injured and not retired yet:)
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is one team i would like...

1- Ritchie Worrall
2- Todd Kurtz
3- Rasmus Jensen
4- Tyson Nelson
5- Josh Grazonack (would be Bech if he could commit to every meeting)
6- Jake Anderson
7- Any 3.37

= 42.50

With this team after a couple of meetings if particular members of the team are not performing as well as first thought. We could use Jensens spare points if his average drops as predicted by some people down to around 6.00 after one more meeting, changing them with someone with a higher average.

This next team is one i think is one that Lee would be looking into after looking at snipts from newspapers and quotes etc etc.

1- Ben Barker
2- Todd Kurtz
3- Tyson Nelson
4- Cory Gathercole
5- Rasmus Jensen
6- Jake Anderson
7- Any 4.14 rider

Personally id like this one..

1- Ritchie Worrall
2- Todd Kurtz
3- Josh Auty
4- Tyson Nelson
5- Mickey Dyer
6- Leaving 3.96 available at reserve.
7- Jake Anderson

Worrall, Auty and Dyer have all led the line for teams this season and have proven a hit both in elite and premier league. This Means we have 3 out and out heat leaders. Kurtz and Nelson both know their way around the SBA. Especially with Todd being a devils assets makes me think he maybe back. Anderson has made massive improvements, this summed up when he beat Doyle. at reserve Possibly Scrahmm who could thrive at number 7 and not 2 like he was when he came here originally. Ritchie Hawkins, Richard Lambert or paul Starke could be others. Finally depending on what Brady Kurtz comes in on he could be another option if it is 3.00.

The hardest decision for me was not having Gathercole in the Team, I would on another day probably change it and have Gathercole in it.

• 2 weeks later...

Difficult one for the Devils in 2014 in my opinion.

Last year was much better than the previous two but still nowhere near good enough (especially at home).

Do we go for a total overhaul or try to tweak here and there.

What we do know is Bech is unlikely to be back and it seems Kurtz is off also.

The likes of Boxall and Nelson (who openly admitted he wanted to sign for Plymouth) look like returning to Rye despite both being very good at the SBA so that likely rues them out.

I'd be shocked if we didn't consider Ricky Wells who is good value at Plymouth and Barker could yet be back (although I think he has too high a starting average).

I know the promotion are keen on Rasmus Jensen and I'd welcome him back.

I hope I'm wrong but it looks like Anderson is on the radar for a reserve spot.

Lets see what comes out of the AGM!