British Speedway Forum

Elrc (elite League Riders Championship) 19/10/13 At Swindon

There will be a discount for next years ELRC for those who have the tickets from last night.

The rain could have affected any track and unfortunately came at the wrong time.

The racing did get better as the track dried out but I think they should run the ELRC earlier in the year.

On the other hand it could have been a dry, cold, autumn night which would have made for a nice, grippy track and some great racing!

I remember in the 80s when this event was the British League Riders Championship it was really was something to look forward to and given that at that time most of the the best riders riders in the world were riding in the BL often the field assembled was better than that for the World Final. It was held at a venue befitting its status, that being Belle Vue's old Hyde Road home which was a purpose built speedway stadium. A prestigious meeting that its participants really wanted to win. Sadly last night's shambles showed that its only a pale imitation of its former self.

Let's face it shouldn't of gone ahead. Following the downpour at 4pm the track was left saturated with numerous puddles on the surface and despite the efforts of the track staff the first 4 heats showed it wasn't fit to race on. We then had what must have been about an hour's delay whilst further work was carried out to try and produce a vaguely raceable surface.

While this was going on the poor old fans, many who already had a good soaking, had to to endure standing on muddy grass banks in a breezy old relic of a 'stadium' ( and I say that as a Swindon fan).

Great credit to Rory Schlein who I thought was outstanding on the night along with NKI, Jason Doyle and one or two others but I don't blame any rider either who didn't fancy it on the night; it's the end of the season and a track in a treacherous condition so why risk having a serious crash?

At the end of the day riders and fans lost out along with the sport itself. Just imagine if you'd brought somebody along for their first visit to a speedway meeting - how would you have sold the sport to them on that showing?

As A Orlov says perhaps the meeting should be moved to earlier in the season and at a venue with better facilities, Brandon for instance.

Which ever way you look at it, it was a sorry end to the season and did little to enhance the sport's reputation.

I asked on updates and was informed it was poor.

I beg to differ, I was there at what turned out to be a poorly run borefest but the crowd was very decent. Congrats to Rory, who was one of the few who gave it their all. I was a bit confused by the BSPA apology and offer of a future discount to 'something' next year-anyone who manages to hang on to the scrappy little rain check for the best part of a year will be doing very well!!! It seemed to me that there were some lengthy negotiations with the competitors at the point at which the track had improved sufficiently to allow quite decent competition and then news of the curtailment, so don't fully understand why they went that route but anything which gives a discount to something from that crowd of crooks is welcome.

Just as a byline I left home 9 miles away at 5:15 and got home at 10:30 to a rollocking from Mrs White for being so long and I missed Casualty on the telly!!!!!

Am I mistaken or was the rescheduling of the ELRC today? If so I am sure that a great many of you will be interested to know that it is now lagging it down in the Swindon area!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The pricing policy for this meeting (it's been £25 for a while now) just shows how far from reality the powers that be at the BSPA are.

If they have any genuine belief that the field that will ultimately ride in this meeting, at a venue which (to be kind) has seen better days, is worth anyone shelling n£25 per person of their hard-earned cash then they are deluded.

It's a second rate line-up, of riders from a second rate league, in a second rate venue and the price on the door should reflect that.

The ELRC has been £25 for a few years now and has attracted a good crowd in the past 2 years at Swindon in October,people have shown they are prepared to pay £25 so you can understand why the BSPA set the price they do (because people are prepared to pay it)

No one can stop the rain, but only one tractor trying to do something with the track. Perhaps the bspa should give the meeting to Kings Lynn. At least the promoter there is not afraid of getting his hands dirty and he can drive a tractor

Yes I can remember an EL pairs final being staged at Lynn a few years ago, it was rained off despite Buster and all his tractors.

Was this meeting originally set to go with 16 qualifying heats? because if it was its just another example of taking the P out of the paying public, its bad enough promoters running ordinary invididual meetings with only 12 riders and 15 heats but still charging normal prices.

If your not going to do something properly then don't do it at all.

For a view into what went on behind the scenes, and the lengths to which we worked to get the meeting on, check out the Blunsdon Blog's blog about the days leading up to the ELRC and the day itself.

Link = http://blunsdonblog.co.uk/?page_id=6102

• Like 2

No Marko, it should have been 20 qualifying heats, a semi and final! They decided during the meeting to not have the final set me qualifying heats because me the track! At that point they told the fans to keep their entry tickets as they would afford us a concession off a meeting go 2014.

For a view into what went on behind the scenes, and the lengths to which we worked to get the meeting on, check out the Blunsdon Blog's blog about the days leading up to the ELRC and the day itself.

Link = http://blunsdonblog.co.uk/?page_id=6102

Thanks for sharing that, gives the fans an insight into what goes on and how much effort is given!

Link = http://blunsdonblog....k/?page_id=6102

A very enlightening read (track curator now officially off of my list of things to do :wink: )

• 2 weeks later...

A good and informative read for the general public (supporters) I wonder why other tracks don't do something similar (track/track work blog)......

Having a raised dog track bordering the speedway track really doesn't help in wet weather.... perhaps having a small ditch/dyke sort of thing behind the kickboards with the water being directed somewhere harmless might help?

Discuss...

A good and informative read for the general public (supporters) I wonder why other tracks don't do something similar (track/track work blog)......

Having a raised dog track bordering the speedway track really doesn't help in wet weather.... perhaps having a small ditch/dyke sort of thing behind the kickboards with the water being directed somewhere harmless might help?

Discuss...

The clerk of the course and speedway staff wanted to dig a trench between the two tracks 20 years ago but the owners of the stadium refused permission.

When the new stadium is built hopefully some one will think of this and put drainage in when constructed.

The clerk of the course and speedway staff wanted to dig a trench between the two tracks 20 years ago but the owners of the stadium refused permission.

It wouldnt have to be a big ditch, probably no deeper than 6" by 6" leading to a soak-away or holding tank which could be bowsered out when full and then distributed onto centre green or somewhere else....

When the new stadium is built hopefully some one will think of this and put drainage in when constructed.

Believe me, we've wanted to dig a drain between the two tracks for years but there are so many cables, live and defunct, buried in the sand it's a little dangerous to start digging down. The other problem is that if a ditch / drain were to be dug it would ideally need to drain away from both tracks and that would mean digging a deep trench under the greyhound track, laying a drain pipe and then keeping it clear of sand almost on a daily basis. About 5 years ago we dug a deep trench across the entrance of turn 1 with a sump pit at one end by the greyhound track with a drainage pipe running under the speedway track intoi the, then, newly constructed drain on turn 1. Sadly, it was hopelessly blocked within a week.

If / when we get the new stadium we pray for some sort of separation, like the one they have at Birmingham - a grassed area with a drain under it.

The big priblem at Swindon is in the entrance to the 1st bend and no doubt the exit if the 4th the drain is higher than the lowest point Total comedy watcbing blokes trying to sweep water uphill to drain it.

Cheers pal! Glad to know that our efforts to get the meeting on were appreciated! Better check the spelling and punctuation before posting next time.

Cheers pal! Glad to know that our efforts to get the meeting on were appreciated! Better check the spelling and punctuation before posting next time.

Know exactly where you're coming from, spend lots of time sweeping water/damming it/cleaning drainage channels and other duties on racedays.. the general public/supporter doesn't generally know about what effort goes in to the track to get it into a raceable condition when its wet, or for that matter very cold or baking hot!!!