British Speedway Forum

Elrc (elite League Riders Championship) 19/10/13 At Swindon

The pricing policy for this meeting (it's been £25 for a while now) just shows how far from reality the powers that be at the BSPA are.

If they have any genuine belief that the field that will ultimately ride in this meeting, at a venue which (to be kind) has seen better days, is worth anyone shelling out £25 per person of their hard-earned cash then they are deluded.

It's a second rate line-up, of riders from a second rate league, in a second rate venue and the price on the door should reflect that.

• Like 4

A league which, if second rate, was dragged down to that level by the actions of Coventry representatives three or four years ago.

OK I'll bite. Got a bit of time on my hands this afternoon.

Justify your statement please.

How could the actions of the Coventry promotion - ie attempting to stick to their guns over proposed rule changes (all of which were voted in despite Coventry's protestations) and wanting an independent body to govern the sport (which has not happened anyway) be responsible for the current mess the league is in?

• Like 4

We drove up from Bristol, parked up in the car park and it poured down, there was a longish queue and they were drenched before 4.30 p.m. Was so sure it would be cancelled, that we drove straight out again and returned home, staggered to find it was on. So glad we didn't stay, what a waste of money it would have been.Just sorry we wasted the petrol going in the first place. :cry:

Any info into this evenings shenanigans....? I was tracking the storms up the country from the south west, looked quite vicious and meeting killers.. got to us in Leicester around 5.45pm and lobbed it down with thunder and lightning for around 30-40 mins. . Bet it was the same storm that hit swindon. If anyone is interested, another batch of thundery storms are tracking exactly the same course, hitting Swindon anytime in the hour or so....

Who won the meeting and should it have gone ahead.....?

These storms were forecast, surely another example where covers would have worked.... I know it went ahead, but deom comments I've readso far... sounds like Iit was a farce. ....

Anybody who seriously thought that this meeting would ever go ahead with a top field wants their head looking at.The important stuff is over, GP qualifications all sorted, farcical EL title decided, the riders all have eyes on next season now.

The meeting has been meaningless for years, God help anybody who wasted £25 of their hard earned to watch it, stood in the mud on the back straight. British speedway, plumbing new depths year on year.

• Like 4

What a disaster that they hold the biggest "alleged" individual meeting of the season in October & it turns into another fiasco.

When will these clowns realise that speedway is supposed to be a summer sport.

There have been nearly 50 ELRC (or similar names) meetings since 1965. All held in October, I believe. Today we had a freak downpour for about 20 minutes, apparently in late afternoon. We had driven over 100 miles to be there, and never saw a drop of rain! Meeting was poor, but BSPA made the best of a bad job by telling people to retain admission tickets against some to-be-announced discount next season. Swindon staff did OK in attempting to sort the track, but clearly lacked a "hard man" in the pits, pushing races out. On reflection, I accept the freak weather was nobody's fault, and applaud Rory Schlein, Craig Cook and (although he didn't reach the latter stages) Scott Nicholls for some exhilarating riding under the circumstances Not much to applaud Messrs Ward, Watt or Pedersen for, however.

Edited by Lord Antebellum
  • Like 1