British Speedway Forum

Pirates 2014

2014 FIXTURE NEWS

bspa.gif

FRIDAY 17 JANUARY, 2014
POOLE will begin their league title with a home tie against Eastbourne on Wednesday 9th April before embarking on a two-in-a-day contest against Wiltshire rivals Swindon on Good Friday, but prior to the league campaign the Pirates will be involved in an early season challenge against Lakeside Hammers in the Southern Mafia Trophy with the first leg at Poole on Wednesday March 26th and the concluding leg at Lakeside 48 hours later.

Link to Poole website.... http://www.poolepirates.co/homepage

• Like 1

Good Friday looks like being a cracker. Glad they have the Swindon meeting second as I can go visit mum before heading up to the stadium.

This should always have been the Good Friday meeting as it's the closest we can get to a local derby. Eastbourne was always a fair old hike and Coventry too far. 68 miles to Swindon should see an armada of Pirate fans making the journey to Blunsdon. Looking forward to it already.

It has happened to Somerset over Brady so quite possible Milik could be re-assessed too.

As previously discussed 5 should be minimum for all newcomers anyway so it would only be fair if it was.

I was under the impression the Milik was an agreed 4 on the Grading Riders List so shouldn’t really be the issue. Whether he should be a 4 is a different matter, but I thought one of the purposes of the Annual Jolly AGM was to agree all averages, which surely should include the Grading Riders List.
Pre- the Grading Riders List a Cat 2 rider as Milik is today, would have come in on a 4. Now riders are coming in higher. Has anybody come in as low as a 4 since the Grading Riders List was introduced?
The Kurtz situation is just typical confused BSPA thinking ending in a compromise that is wrong. The reasoning given is his Danish league appearances. If that’s the case he’s a PL 7. But he’s been given a 5 which means he either has no professional league experience or he’s a Commonwealth rider. If the former, the Danish experience has been ignored. If the latter then his British qualification means he’s eligible for the NL, except Dudley were told he’s not.
In other words if the Kurtz situation is such a mess, then I suppose there is a chance that the Milik average is being questioned. I guess the Dennis Andersson precedence suggests initially proposed averages can be overturned and maybe a fellow promoter has lodged an objection.
If the average is the problem, then the BSPA really need to look at this whole process. Really promoters should be getting confirmation of the average of a rider they are attempting to sign and that’s it. The problem is that needs an independent arbitrator (yep, that issue again), because as things stand certain promotions (on the MC) would have the advantage of knowing who their competitors were chasing.
  • Like 1

Of course not forgetting the first action at Wimborne Rd will be the Gary Havelock Farewell meeting on Friday, 21st March.

We will have to ensure the car park is capable of accommodating the fleet of coach's coming down from Coventry :wink::D

we would love to say farewell to him!!!

• Like 1

I was under the impression the Milik was an agreed 4 on the Grading Riders List so shouldn’t really be the issue. Whether he should be a 4 is a different matter, but I thought one of the purposes of the Annual Jolly AGM was to agree all averages, which surely should include the Grading Riders List.

Pre- the Grading Riders List a Cat 2 rider as Milik is today, would have come in on a 4. Now riders are coming in higher. Has anybody come in as low as a 4 since the Grading Riders List was introduced?

Millik is a 4. There's no dispute.

The point i was making is that Brady had been re-assessed after being agreed, there is still a possibility that Milik could be too, as no newcomer should be coming into the EL on a 4. 5 SHOULD be the minimum for ALL newcomers.

Good Friday looks like being a cracker. Glad they have the Swindon meeting second as I can go visit mum before heading up to the stadium.

This should always have been the Good Friday meeting as it's the closest we can get to a local derby. Eastbourne was always a fair old hike and Coventry too far. 68 miles to Swindon should see an armada of Pirate fans making the journey to Blunsdon. Looking forward to it already.

Great to have these two meetings on the friday, and Swindon v Poole are always good to watch, but how many fans will travel to Blunsdon after getting beaten in the morning.

Makes me laugh to see people requesting the rules to actually be changed to handicap Poole further. Milik is a 4 in line with the current rules, am guessing people are just grasping at anything to build Poole up as the villains. So far they have stuck by the rules. Also am sure everyone would have been up in arms if howarth was approached and ended up at Poole but as its the bees seems fine. As for my Brummies, we are missing an out and out number 1 but managed fine last year without one!!!

• Like 1

people are just grasping at anything to build Poole up as the villains. So far they have stuck by the rules.

They would, the rules suit them!

Who is asking for the rules to be changed? They already have been changed by re-assessing Brady Kurtz.

As usual this discussion point on assessed rider isn't about Poole.

It would have been the same point if he had signed for Belle Vue or anyone else.

Those who think different are clearly very blue blinded.

Edited by stevebrum
  • Like 1

Not sure i am very blue blinded as that isn't even the Brummies colours. I would agree with your point SteveBrum if the rule was changed at the AGM and then am guessing Poole wouldn't have signed Milik. I know we wouldn't have gambled with covatti. Once the rules are set for the year and riders contracted in line with those rules that's it really. To move the goalposts again would make them an even greater laughing stock. Maybe they will change it next AGM in November this year

They would, the rules suit them!

Who is asking for the rules to be changed? They already have been changed by re-assessing Brady Kurtz.

As usual this discussion point on assessed rider isn't about Poole.

It would have been the same point if he had signed for Belle Vue or anyone else.

Those who think different are clearly very blue blinded.

Rubbish and you know it. Kurtz was changed because he rode in the Danish League. Millik has only ridden lower level speedway. The two do not compare.

You are just chasing shadows, as will your team in 2014. Millik has the correct average and you can shout all you like but those are the rules and Poole have acted within them.

• Like 2

Milik has so far been assessed correctly but it could change and that is why Poole are not naming there 7th rider on here until its resolved. Oh and while on topic from the Swindon thread Wolves is a much better prepared track than Poole. Also like the way Shovlar uses one method to assess Cooks ability and yet another to assess Magics ability! It's called being blinkered and twisting things to suit. Magic will never progress further if he can't master smaller tracks. Very good with his fast engines in Poland but guff on smaller tracks that require throttle control and a different skill. Correct he would beat Cook at Torun but Cook would stuff him at Cardiff

There is no dispute with Milik assuming he was available on a 4 for everyone else (Dennis Andersson anyone?)

However there is an issue for me (nothing to do with Poole) with any young European rider coming over here on anything less than 5. Are we really saying that Milik, a rider who reached the GP challenge and made the rostrum in a World U21 final round, is a similar standard to the likes of Ostergaard, Howe, Wethers, North, Lemon, Asprgren, Heeps, Vissing etc using the PL to EL conversion rate?