British Speedway Forum

Pirates 2014

You really have to laugh at these Poole fans like making an argument out of nothing for no reason twisting what people post for their own agenda. NOBODY is saying that Ward isn't a massive talent or likely to be World Champion but right now as we all debate on here NKI is world number 3 and had a better average than Ward so to say Darcy is better is just plain daft but when did the blue tints ever use facts it's not in their nature! And Rohan did achieve a better average than Josh but again it's a fact and the Dorset mafia believe opinion is a better tool to use.

I must admit I wouldn't be so bold as to say Darcy will never be WC but for me it's not his gating that is his Achilles heel. Some of the moves he pulls off are truly audacious and that leads to crashes unfortunately. Maybe as he matures he will back off slightly - but then he won't be the Darcy Ward we all know!

Edited by TesarRacing

And Darcy will need to learn to gate an awful lot better than he does at the moment. True Loram won a world crown but over 6 rounds and its not easy to keep coming from the back in a 12 round series against riders like Tai Holder Hampel and NKI. He needs to take a good look at what attitude Tai took last year but I think Ward is to flippant to do that and he could be quite easily the best rider never to win the title since Leigh Adams

• Like 3

To me Niels is probably the best rider in the world. Its not about who he beats or where he finishes come October, it's about so many things. He's a Gentleman, He's pleasant, He's always adult like, He's responsible, He's reliable, He's enthusiastic, He's helpful, He's consistent, He's ever-present. And when on a bike, he's world class.

When clubs are looking for a role model, and someone, for young rider to emulated, their non better then Niels Kristen Iversen.

On a bike, Darcy has undoubtedly immense talent, but he has a some way to go to be compared with NKI

To me Niels is probably the best rider in the world. Its not about who he beats or where he finishes come October, it's about so many things. He's a Gentleman, He's pleasant, He's always adult like, He's responsible, He's reliable, He's enthusiastic, He's helpful, He's consistent, He's ever-present. And when on a bike, he's world class.

When clubs are looking for a role model, and someone, for young rider to emulated, their non better then Niels Kristen Iversen.

On a bike, Darcy has undoubtedly immense talent, but he has a some way to go to be compared with NKI

If Carlsberg made speedway riders.... :wink: Edited by Steve0

I would go as far as to say Ward is the best rider in the world already. And if he stays injury free will be World Champion next season.

He isnt. He averaged less points per GP than Tai and Tai rode in several of them injured. Im afraid Darcy has a little bit more to find to be considered the best. Gating lets him down to often.

I would go as far as to say Ward is the best rider in the world already. And if he stays injury free will be World Champion next season.

Wrong but its all about opinions. Tai Woffinden is the best rider in the world -fact. Even if Ward had been fit he wouldn't have won it as proved. Can Darcy go the next step? He bombed out lots in the semis when the real pressure was on so needs to be able to handle the situations a lot better.

He can quite easily be world champion next season that's for sure but to say he is the best rider in the world is just incorrect. He will do well to finish above his buddy Holder next year.

Ward is the most talented rider and natural rider we have seen for a long time but it doesn't guarantee success. How natural were the Moran brothers for example?

You really have to laugh at these Poole fans like making an argument out of nothing for no reason twisting what people post for their own agenda. NOBODY is saying that Ward isn't a massive talent or likely to be World Champion but right now as we all debate on here NKI is world number 3 and had a better average than Ward so to say Darcy is better is just plain daft but when did the blue tints ever use facts it's not in their nature! And Rohan did achieve a better average than Josh but again it's a fact and the Dorset mafia believe opinion is a better tool to use.

Blupanther said Ward will never be world champion.

Its inevitable IMO that Darcy will be World Champion in the very near future, maybe even this coming year. Of course he will need to sharpen up his trapping and needs to grow up more but its easy to forget that he's still only twenty-one. Last year's season in the GP series will have been a great experience and he'll now know exactly what is required to challenge for the title.

If he is able to apply himself correctly he could easily win the thing this year.

Graeme Stuart, ex of Chelsea and Everton was extolling the virtues (and excitement) of speedway on TS in the small hours earlier. He made special reference to young Mr Ward and how exciting he is too watch, specifically because he can't gate and has to win races from the back.

Should Darcy ever successfully learn the art of gating, will he remain as possibly the sport's most entertaining rider ?

Possibly not...

'Ever present'?! Except when he's in Denmark instead of Norfolk, or banned!! :D:P

Graeme Stuart, ex of Chelsea and Everton was extolling the virtues (and excitement) of speedway on TS in the small hours earlier. He made special reference to young Mr Ward and how exciting he is too watch, specifically because he can't gate and has to win races from the back.

Should Darcy ever successfully learn the art of gating, will he remain as possibly the sport's most entertaining rider ?

Possibly not...

Darcy's gating did actually show a bit of an improvement at the end of last season - not least because of what he was learning from Greg Hancock!! Hopefully that tuition has continued in California and as part of the ongoing Monster team ethic!!

Anyway this all started after the comments of disappointment about not using Tungate!! Purely down to the points limits agreed for 2014 and as SB pointed out, not only affecting Poole but many other clubs and riders. Personally, Tungate's injuries at the end of the season truncated his performances - unfortunately not reducing his average sufficiently for Poole to consider him in 2014. I hope he continues his improvement!

Edited by Skidder1

Possibly not...

I hope he never learns to gate, that would take the excitement out of watching him win from the back. Was the same with Peter Collins and Chris Morton. What a race that would be if the latter 2 were riding today.

• Like 1

The response was regarding who was the better rider. Often depends on form at the time when asked that question.

Form is indeed one thing. However the debate was about who is the better of the two riders (in the present time) and EL averages tell us that Rohan is. Nothing else really needs to come into it.

To me Niels is probably the best rider in the world.

If he was he would be World Champion right now. He is most definetly the most consistent performer in the leagues and can be quite comfortably viewed as one of the best riders in the World right now. Lets face it there is very little in it between Tai/Neils/Ward.

He isnt because if he was he would be safer on the bike and be World Champion right now.

He has the talent, time will tell if he ever proves it. He hasn't yet tho.

Darcy's lack of gating skills will always put him at risk of injury, and that could make him another L Adams.

Niels is undoubtedly all of what you say except probably the best rider in the world, at this moment Tai is and when Tai guested for Poole at saddlebow road he was terrific and niels couldn't get near him in the later races, the only time Niels won was in the first heat, so if niels can't beat him consistantly on his own track how can he be regarded as better than Tai.

• Like 2

Darcy's lack of gating skills will always put him at risk of injury, and that could make him another L Adams.

Darcy is no Leigh Adams as Leigh was a safe rider & that's what probably cost him on the World stage as he was hardly ever injured whereas Darcy reminds me of Emil where he has to take risks & then he risks getting injured more.

Darcy & Emil will need lady luck on their side to be a World Champion as riders are more ruthless in the GP's to some of the moves they make than they are in regular league racing.

• Like 2

Darcy is no Leigh Adams as Leigh was a safe rider & that's what probably cost him on the World stage as he was hardly ever injured whereas Darcy reminds me of Emil where he has to take risks & then he risks getting injured more.

Darcy & Emil will need lady luck on their side to be a World Champion as riders are more ruthless in the GP's to some of the moves they make than they are in regular league racing.

You miss what I meant, Leigh Adams was the best rider never to off won the World crown, Darcy has the ability to win it but his all out style could lead to a never ending career of injuries and prevent him from winning the title. Darcy could end up like Leigh Adams in never winning a world title.

Niels is undoubtedly all of what you say except probably the best rider in the world, at this moment Tai is and when Tai guested for Poole at saddlebow road he was terrific and niels couldn't get near him in the later races, the only time Niels won was in the first heat, so if niels can't beat him consistantly on his own track how can he be regarded as better than Tai.

I think Tai proved last year in the GP series that there is nobody in the world better than him currently, but you can't really take one meeting in isolation to prove who is better than who.

• Like 1

You miss what I meant, Leigh Adams was the best rider never to off won the World crown, Darcy has the ability to win it but his all out style could lead to a never ending career of injuries and prevent him from winning the title. Darcy could end up like Leigh Adams in never winning a world title.

Agree with you first point, but will disagree with your second..

Edited by Starman2006