British Speedway Forum

Pirates 2014

There is no point in discussing further if you can't see the flaws in the draft system. Either it's a fair system with each team taking their turn of choosing from ALL riders or it's an unfair system - already stacked in certain teams' favour!

Edited by Steve0
  • Like 1

There is no point in discussing further if you can't see the flaws in the draft system. Either it's a fair system with each team taking their turn of choosing from ALL riders or it's an unfair system - already stacked in certain teams' favour!

Look, nothings perfect mate, there will be teething problems, but as far as it goes what i said shoud be correct. And as i also said, we got last pick in the rest. So really, nobody can complain, but you will..

Look, nothings perfect mate, there will be teething problems, but as far as it goes what i said shoud be correct. And as i also said, we got last pick in the rest. So really, nobody can complain, but you will..

Nobody can complain when the Tories got into power! Nobody can complain when it's too hot! Nobody can complain when it's too cold!

BUT THEY DO - it's called opinion and mine is as equally valid as yours. Just once it would be nice for you to show that you can be objective where Poole are concerned :rolleyes:

Poole have one of the best 'number 6' in Newman and possibly a shocker in Smart. One good and one bad reserve is the same as having 2 average riders. Newman could get 6 or 7 and Smart 1. Another team may have two reserved who both get 4 so in this instance Poole have done nothing wrong. Now accuse me of Poole bashing lol

• Like 1

Nobody can complain when the Tories got into power! Nobody can complain when it's too hot! Nobody can complain when it's too cold!

BUT THEY DO - it's called opinion and mine is as equally valid as yours. Just once it would be nice for you to show that you can be objective where Poole are concerned :rolleyes:

I am being objective. I told you, we got last pick of the remainder.. We got an asset, and so did many other clubs..

Poole have one of the best 'number 6' in Newman and possibly a shocker in Smart. One good and one bad reserve is the same as having 2 average riders. Newman could get 6 or 7 and Smart 1. Another team may have two reserved who both get 4 so in this instance Poole have done nothing wrong. Now accuse me of Poole bashing lol

Thank you Gav.

On the whole the reserve pairings are not that far apart strength wise and the same with the completed top 5's. I dont think anyone has had a rough deal, assets should be able to ride for their parent club given the chance.

Edited by woz01
  • Like 1

I suggested THJ earlier in thread but it was ignored

My favoured last two were ljung and thj but ljung has gone to the lions so I dont think we will get thj now

Yes you have! As EL winners, Poole should have had last pick of draft riders - but they didn't! Not Poole's fault - it's the process that was flawed - like everything from BSPA Towers

Why should we have last pick because we won the league, why is that fair. So in your world shaft the el winners and give them the two worst riders. If a rider is a club asset he should be their protected rider.

Why should we have last pick because we won the league, why is that fair. So in your world shaft the el winners and give them the two worst riders. If a rider is a club asset he should be their protected rider.

Says it all really :rolleyes:

It was agreed that the pick order would be the reverse of where teams finished this year. As Poole finished winners they should have got last pick - but they didn't :rolleyes:

It was agreed that the pick order would be the reverse of where teams finished this year. As Poole finished winners they should have got last pick - but they didn't :rolleyes:

So what you are saying is even though he is a Poole asset we should not have had first option on Kyle Newman...........would you say the same to Lakeside about Adam Ellis or Wolves about Ashley Morris or King's Lynn about Lewis Kerr...........

Doubt it............you are only saying it because you are so anti Poole...........and yes at the end of the day we did get the last pick............out of choice if we had been higher up the pecking order I would have gone for Jason Garrity or Lewis Rose..................

RP

Why was it agreed this way though? This is a genuine question if anyone knows. People have likened the reserve draft, to American sports but the two are nothing alike. The poorest teams in US sports remain with largely the same pool of players, so are allowed to draft the best rookies to give them closer parity with others. Speedway already has a points limit that does the same. In theory all teams start each season equal, so why were lots not drawn for the order with no protected assets? I appreciate that this was to lower costs and as a consequence give some young (and some not so young) riders experience, but it just seems to me that it wasn't really planned very well.

I suggested THJ earlier in thread but it was ignored

Having THJ would now mean Janowski as second heat leader. They both average significantly more (THJ 4, Janowski 3) at home than away, and it's likely that they would both be riding in the top three. I can't really see a team like that winning anywhere away from home.

• Like 1

Lee Smart will start well but is considerably overweight and has flopped repeatedly over several years,

Not Matty's sort of boy?

That may well be but just which Club will he do that for? I will be flabbergasted if he lines up in Pirates Kevlars in March 2014. (I am sure I will not be the only one)

Why was it agreed that way, just to penalise last years better team. Thats like having a handicap system.

We must have had last pick to get Lee Smart, Newman was a protected rider as he is a club asset.

In my opinion it should have all been done by ballot, that would have been fairer.

Edited by foreverblue

Why was it agreed that way, just to penalise last years better team. Thats like having a handicap system.

We must have had last pick to get Lee Smart, Newman was a protected rider as he is a club asset.

In my opinion it should have all been done by ballot, that would have been fairer.

It was done this way after it came to light that Matt tried to get Greg Hancocks average re assessed so that he could ride in the NL and be available as a reserve for Poole. :D

• Like 2

So what you are saying is even though he is a Poole asset we should not have had first option on Kyle Newman...........would you say the same to Lakeside about Adam Ellis or Wolves about Ashley Morris or King's Lynn about Lewis Kerr...........

Doubt it............you are only saying it because you are so anti Poole...........and yes at the end of the day we did get the last pick............out of choice if we had been higher up the pecking order I would have gone for Jason Garrity or Lewis Rose..................

RP

Eh? I did say the same about the others! I wasn't getting at Poole (or even anti-Poole), my point was that the draft system is flawed when you have "protected" riders and Poole and the others in the same boat will benefit from that!

Exactly! It wasn't a fair process and a ballot of all riders would have been fairer