British Speedway Forum

Pirates 2014

Spot on Poole Quay, banter can be awesome but there are too many who fit the snide/spiteful category - sick people?

That's a bit harsh on Steve Shovlar as he's not that bad really:-)

We didn't have Greg Hancock that year - which was the point of the remark about increased attendances!! :P

Every club of every sport has fickle fans who only go when the team is doing well no matter what season it is.

Poole had Bjarne & Crumpie that season if I remember rightly & it still wasn't enough to get fans through the turnstile.

I think yes fans wanted to see Greg & he was superb how he conducted himself at Swindon but it was winning again that got those fans back to Poole.

Will be interesting to see how many are at any tracks this coming season to watch a very diluted League. Poole have a good fan base but they too are dwindling away because of whats on offer. We are lucky in that we had Greg, Darcy and Noddy to watch last year, but at the moment we only have Darcy for next season. Looking at some of the signings for next season does not inspire me to pay £17 to watch it. Yes Poole are always competitive, but some of the dross served up by some teams last year was awful imo.

If Wolves dont sign Tai then they really are not going to draw crowds away from home, but with the World Champ hopefully people will get people off there arses to come take a look. Crowds are dwindling everywhere, the teams are getting weaker, the top boys are leaving in there droves, so watch the crowds and see what happens to all teams. Admission charges must be dropped to watch inferior speedway imo as Kings Lynn for instance have 3 good riders and 4 national standard riders imo.

The Poole knockers do not like that Matt brings success to Poole, but if other clubs had his outlay and fan backing then they would be in the same boat, but some clubs are really struggling to draw 1000, through the turnstiles and that is simply not enough to survive and thrive on, and gates will surely drop with whats on offer next year unless the admission drops.

Will be interesting to see how many are at any tracks this coming season to watch a very diluted League. Poole have a good fan base but they too are dwindling away because of whats on offer. We are lucky in that we had Greg, Darcy and Noddy to watch last year, but at the moment we only have Darcy for next season. Looking at some of the signings for next season does not inspire me to pay £17 to watch it. Yes Poole are always competitive, but some of the dross served up by some teams last year was awful imo.

If Wolves dont sign Tai then they really are not going to draw crowds away from home, but with the World Champ hopefully people will get people off there arses to come take a look. Crowds are dwindling everywhere, the teams are getting weaker, the top boys are leaving in there droves, so watch the crowds and see what happens to all teams. Admission charges must be dropped to watch inferior speedway imo as Kings Lynn for instance have 3 good riders and 4 national standard riders imo.

The Poole knockers do not like that Matt brings success to Poole, but if other clubs had his outlay and fan backing then they would be in the same boat, but some clubs are really struggling to draw 1000, through the turnstiles and that is simply not enough to survive and thrive on, and gates will surely drop with whats on offer next year unless the admission drops.

I read your comments, but honestly I don't agree with what you say. I get the impression as long as you're watching Greg, Darcy and Noddy your happy. whereas the name and class of rider to me is unimportant. what I want to see is excitement, competition, and everybody playing from the same hymn sheet. I have gone to many meetings and the one sided matches are a waste of time and do nothing to enthral new supporters. Having watched the Young Stars last year, I saw some really exciting and close racing. I think the main difference between you and I, is that I don't mind if we lose, Hence the old saying happiness is 40-38 or even 38- 40. either way it would have been a close encounter that was obviously exciting.

Without excitement the sport it's pointless.

Edited by GRW123
  • Like 4

I hope that the crowds don't dwindle at Wimborne Rd next year then as Matt Ford was warning of financial woes back in January of this year following a loss in 2012. Then we had the 'running the Lakeside meeting....financial disaster' in May. Admission prices and attendances will be critical in 2014.

My issues with Poole are Matt Ford and one or 2 blue tints on here. Time and again I've said people like foreverblue and skidder are sensible reasonable posters and then you get the clowns. I've always said Matt Ford does what's best for Poole but Is not worried about the bigger picture. I think it's a perfectly reasonable debate to say if I was a Poole fan I would be slightly concerned at the team building so far. Same as if I was a Wolves or Lakeside or Birmingham fan where as supporters of Lynn Swindon or Belle Vue and possibly Coventry must be happy do far. On the other hand Poole usually go to the tapes with a solid side except for last season. If they are in the market for poles we know KK and Magic not coming back so is it Pawlicki? Dudek? Or quality like Miskowiak or Stachyra

Could Poole be about to do some magic and sign two very good young Polish riders to back up Darcy ?

Shame KK couldn't be back but Leicester may still be in for him

Apparently KK selling his UK based transport..Only Leicester interested and he cant ride for them because his Polish club said no to him riding in UK on Saturday night.

There is usually a good crowd at Swindon whenever Poole are in town - I don't think it is down to the riders on show though (although it certainly helps when you have the likes of Ward, Holder and/or Hancock).

The best riders and team rivalry are two essential ingredients for good attandence at meetings. The best riders cost money (which UK speedway hasn't got) and rivalry is built up over the years, not just on location as in derbies but also because of the clashes between the team respective riders. Unfortunately this second aspect is also weak in the UK because teams keep changing their line ups so support for your a team is quite shallow. Just check back to when Speedway in the UK ruled league racing in Europe and you will see that many teams kept many of the same riders year on year.

OK UK speedway hasn't the cash but it can address the second point as a start to the road to recovery.

• Like 1

My issues with Poole are Matt Ford and one or 2 blue tints on here. Time and again I've said people like foreverblue and skidder are sensible reasonable posters and then you get the clowns. I've always said Matt Ford does what's best for Poole but Is not worried about the bigger picture. I think it's a perfectly reasonable debate to say if I was a Poole fan I would be slightly concerned at the team building so far. Same as if I was a Wolves or Lakeside or Birmingham fan where as supporters of Lynn Swindon or Belle Vue and possibly Coventry must be happy do far. On the other hand Poole usually go to the tapes with a solid side except for last season. If they are in the market for poles we know KK and Magic not coming back so is it Pawlicki? Dudek? Or quality like Miskowiak or Stachyra

Us Poole fans aren't at all worried. As I posted previously Matt will have already signed his team and will release details gradually to maximise local coverage in the press.

• Like 1

You need to see a doctor then :wink:

Why would you want Mr G ahead of Holder?

It was just a suggestion, and his average would be less than Holder, somewhere around the 8 point mark and as I said at least he has ridden most of the tracks in the EL.......Personally I would prefer a younger rider but who is left for Poole to sign???