British Speedway Forum

Pirates 2014

Adam Ellis was confirmed at Ipswich so can't really say Jon Cook is in the same position !!!

When was he confirmed, today?

He was still trying to sort out a PL contract a fortnight ago. I suspect he signed some days ago, but I don't know.

Equally I don't know if Smart has signed for a PL team, but then nor does Matt Ford, but then I'm not trying to employ him. I doubt he will at all. But he may have done.

Ellis was always nailed on for a PL spot and likely ipswich.

Smart wont get a PL spot from the start of the season that's for sure and unless he signs for KL Young Stars (highly unlikely) he won't be racing on a Wednesday night in the NL on anything like a regular basis.

He signed up to be on the list stating that he'd be available and happy to ride for any EL side so there should be no problem.

Astounds me that Ford apparently didn't know much about him, if you're a speedway person you should keep your finger on the pulse of all three divisions. Smart may not have done much for a few years but he had potential to do quite well a while back.

Thought I read that Ford was an encyclopaedia of speedway rider knowledge. I guess Smart suffers from being British, to such an extent that when he rode on Ford's own track he turned invisible !!!

At least we know now that it isn't Ford identifying these promising foreigners.

When was he confirmed, today?

He was still trying to sort out a PL contract a fortnight ago. I suspect he signed some days ago, but I don't know.

Equally I don't know if Smart has signed for a PL team, but then nor does Matt Ford, but then I'm not trying to employ him. I doubt he will at all. But he may have done.

Ellis was always nailed on for a PL spot and likely ipswich.

Thought I read that Ford was an encyclopaedia of speedway rider knowledge. I guess Smart suffers from being British, to such an extent that when he rode on Ford's own track he turned invisible !!!

At least we know now that it isn't Ford identifying these promising foreigners.

Oh you really do have it in for anything poole don't you. Matt did know about Lee Smart as he turned in some decent performances when the Buccaneers were running, but he's not a rider who would have been directly on his radar. And don't you go worrying yourself, Matt has his pulse firmly on the young promising European youngsters, you can be sure.. ;)

• Like 1

I do have an issue with a particular person who I believe is self centered beyond belief. I don't have a team and Poole have never registered to me as a rival so Poole itself isn't an issue. I'm livid with his behaviour this week. I really don't think people realise how close this sport is to disappearing in this country.

The British rider scheme is precarious due to the limited availability of riders. As I stated on Tuesday it desperately needs all promoters to treat it with respects. Having acquired the only rider to have previously been named legally in an EL 1 to 7, within 24 hours he's in the press effectively dropping Smart. Seen it to many times now, the use of the press for his own agenda. Because this will be one less rider for the scheme. The whole point of this draft was to get the best possible equality at reserve, because without that the new format will struggle. The process already favoured Poole the most in that they got to jump 7 places for their first pick. It needed Poole to accept that with dignity and not look to take advantage of the process, which I have little doubt they will. In my opinion Lee Smart wasn't the best rider available at that point, but tactically he was.

And then the same day we have him leaking details on the most important issue currently facing the EL, to the extent that the BSPA were forced to issue an apology. Until that point Poole fans were saying he's every right to do it. Bit different now when its realised the potential damage and certainly embarrassment this has caused.

His disregard for rules is now manifesting itself across the sport. I would suggest the Swindon/Peterborough impasse last season, and the Kyle Howarth situation this season are direct results of clubs reacting to Poole's approach. It's doing the sport absolutely no good.

I actually recognise Ford as an excellent promoter, but his ego and disregard to the sport means I have no respect for him. I'm sure he doesn't care what I think. Trouble is its British speedway that is suffering. I want to see two teams racing on equal terms on the track. I'm not interested in a sport where success can be driven via loopholes.

I appreciate you aren't going to like it, but that's the way I feel I'm afraid.

Nice to see someone else has the measure of mr faud.

On the NL riders in the draft doesn't surprise me Matt Ford doesn't know there plans beforehand. I guess he could ring up all the Pool B riders beforehand to check. Personally lets stick by those declared only, it does favour one or two clubs in my view namely bees and stars but its for the betterment of British speedway. Also from next year all riders go in the pot no protection for any of them regardless of new purchases, time for a line in the sand!!!

Rumours suggest that Kildemand may be heading to Dorset.

With Kurtz being given a 3 in the PL, is it possible that if Poole can't find a way to get Kurtz as a reserve (in place of Smart), then could they bring him into the 1-7 instead. This won't work if the doubling-ip rule on assessed averages (see Adam Ellis last year) remains in place. But there will be reserve riders in the EL effectively doubling up on an assessed average (e.g. Max Clegg) so there may be precedent.

That then creates space for Pawlicki as the third heat leader. Since I suspect your junior second string only needs to be a match for most reserves to justify his place, the fact that Kurtz will be racing against a number of NL only riders then it doesn't even seem a risk.

Another option is Sundstrom. I think he is 0.02 to high, but easily remedied after the first GSA's.

Where did you get this information from??

Sorry rumours is probably the wrong word.

Probably should have said that based on rumours about riders at other clubs, then you'd could deduce that Kildemand at Poole makes a lot of sense.

It would appear (but not fact yet) that there is no room for him at Swindon. I'd be very surprised if Poole didn't go with a second high level heat leader. Kildemand seems to fit this.

Just my thoughts.

Rumours suggest that Kildemand may be heading to Dorset.

With Kurtz being given a 3 in the PL, is it possible that if Poole can't find a way to get Kurtz as a reserve (in place of Smart), then could they bring him into the 1-7 instead. This won't work if the doubling-ip rule on assessed averages (see Adam Ellis last year) remains in place. But there will be reserve riders in the EL effectively doubling up on an assessed average (e.g. Max Clegg) so there may be precedent.

That then creates space for Pawlicki as the third heat leader. Since I suspect your junior second string only needs to be a match for most reserves to justify his place, the fact that Kurtz will be racing against a number of NL only riders then it doesn't even seem a risk.

Another option is Sundstrom. I think he is 0.02 to high, but easily remedied after the first GSA's.

Crikey, at this rate there won't be any riders left for Brum , Leicester, Eastie etc!!! :D

Not sure if I've already said it on this thread, but being a Wednesday track, surely Poole wouldn't look to have a top Dane, for fear of too many fixture clashes with the Danish League!!

Edited by Skidder1

Crikey, at this rate there won't be any riders left for Brum , Leicester, Eastie etc!!! :D

Not sure if I've already said it on this thread, but being a Wednesday track, surely Poole wouldn't look to have a top Dane, for fear of too many fixture clashes with the Danish League!!

You may be right re available riders. Poole is interesting though as there are many ways to fill the remaining spots. I guess the next signing will probably give a big clue as to the last two.

Are the Danes able to limit their home (Danish) appearances? Wasn't it what Iversen had last year when it went wrong. If it is limited to 4 compulsory, that would probably be ok to plan around

Sorry rumours is probably the wrong word.

Probably should have said that based on rumours about riders at other clubs, then you'd could deduce that Kildemand at Poole makes a lot of sense.

It would appear (but not fact yet) that there is no room for him at Swindon. I'd be very surprised if Poole didn't go with a second high level heat leader. Kildemand seems to fit this.

Just my thoughts.

He could just as easily go to Leicester or Birmingham.

More interested to Know where you heard Pawlicki's name mentioned?

That was nothing more than looking at who might fit. No point creating available points for the last spot unless there is a plan to use it. Pawlicki makes sense as he only left Poole last season to make way for Ward. At the point he joined Poole there was no way Poole could be sure of having space to fit Ward back into the team. Ford is not going to invest 20 grand (THJ deal as well) in a rider who had no intention of staying the full season. More than anything because getting a like for like replacement if Ward couldn't be fitted in was problematic to say the least.

So Pawlicki is an obvious option if Kildemand joins and Poole go for a 3 pointer (doesn't have to be Kurtz). It just seems to me if you can get a 3 pointer second string who is at least the equal of most reserves, you can go with three heat leaders and a solid second string. The (one) alternative is two heat leaders and three second strings. I just think on the suspected heat format a third heat leader truly capable of competing with the top heat leaders is going to be the difference maker in the top 5. Any team I see declared where there third best heat leader meets that criteria and the reserves can hold their own against the majority of opposition will be the play-off teams for me.

If the lower second string is designated as a supplementary reserve, then maybe you need a truer second string at that position.