British Speedway Forum

Pirates 2014

Having watched Smart for a few seasons I wouldn't be excited. He's capable of the odd decent meeting but seems to lose confidence and form very easily, he's also a very tall lad and not the most lithe which doesn't help. If anything he seems to have gone backwards over the last 6 or 7 years, can't see it as anything other than a poor signing.

You lot should stop moaning & count yourself lucky we PICKED Tom Perry & Max Clegg shocking !!!!

Having watched Smart for a few seasons I wouldn't be excited. He's capable of the odd decent meeting but seems to lose confidence and form very easily, he's also a very tall lad and not the most lithe which doesn't help. If anything he seems to have gone backwards over the last 6 or 7 years, can't see it as anything other than a poor signing.

It would seem its not all cut and dried for Smart - or with some other selected reserves?! Discussions now have to take place to check rider availability against (presumably) a draft fixture list!!?

Changes could still be made........!

And I was just beginning to believe that for once the promoters had managed to organise something that had" worked to plan". Should have known better. :D

It would seem its not all cut and dried for Smart - or with some other selected reserves?! Discussions now have to take place to check rider availability against (presumably) a draft fixture list!!?

Ford has something up his sleeve no doubt.

• Like 4

Why do you refer to Smart, but not Newman?

I did suggest yesterday that Smart was a tactical selection in terms of the benefits of him not riding.

Why do you refer to Smart, but not Newman?

I did suggest yesterday that Smart was a tactical selection in terms of the benefits of him not riding.

Merely quoting from an article in today's local press!! Kyle Newman is not an issue as he is a Poole asset and has always wanted to ride permanently for his local club. Having also signed for Plymouth I would imagine there won't be many fixture clashes, if any at all!

Having one of the last '2nd picks' in the draft, MF admits he knows little about Smart and will now be checking his other commitments. I'm sure the same will also apply to some other clubs, because of the different EL race nights!?

Its not a criticism of the system or any individual club - but its not rocket science either!!

Edited by Skidder1

As long as it doesn't result in any other club losing out on a rider they have chosen or in Poole bringing in a ringer I don't see the problem.

There are three riders not chosen during the draft so any club not happy with fixture clashes should be able to find what they want from those lads left over. It's typical of speedway though that the situation isn't cut and dried after a really good effort yesterday.

Merely quoting from an article in today's local press!! Kyle Newman is not an issue as he is a Poole asset and has always wanted to ride permanently for his local club. Having also signed for Plymouth I would imagine there won't be many fixture clashes, if any at all!

Having one of the last '2nd picks' in the draft, MF admits he knows little about Smart and will now be checking his other commitments. I'm sure the same will also apply to some other clubs, because of the different EL race nights!?

Its not a criticism of the system or any individual club - but its not rocket science either!!

Year after year this little man acts like a dictator. Everything is calculated with him. It was obvious yesterday what he was up to as I posted and he's instantly released his true feelings in the press. He had to be the first to abuse this. He really doesn't want to deal with what he sees as inferior British talent. The season hasn't even started and Ford is creating a scenario for (another) rider withholding their services.

So he sees no problem arranging fixtures around Newman, but with Smart the risk is so great he may need to replace him !!!

Good to see the fixture lists are due to be published shortly. He could have said I need to work with Smart to ensure his availability, but no within 24 hours he's mentioning other riders who are available. You never know, it may be a rider who withdrew from the list; maybe he was already being tapped up.

• Like 5

I understand that list is going to be those not picked plus a select few NL riders not in the original process the likes of Oliver Greenwood & James Shanes ( who is based in the south & is an excellent prospect)

I'm sure I've read that they will produce a list of riders who can be used as guests and team changes for the season. Or I have completely made that up.

I'm sure I've read that they will produce a list of riders who can be used as guests and team changes for the season. Or I have completely made that up.

Your correct.

However the purpose is to cover injuries/unavailability not to look to dump a rider after less than 24 hours. Otherwise you get the situation where Poole hand Smart a rumoured Greg Hancock (5 grand) to announce he didn't realise that Poole was so near France and Wednesday is boys night out.

The whole purpose of the draft was equality of reserves. The moment the whole thing is abused, the implications to a competitive match are horrendous. If a team manipulates the reserves such as they are on a level of other teams second strings then we don't get a match worth its name. And then these British kids will get the brunt of the blame for the drop in competitive team. No team should be allowed to manipulate this. Having brought the scheme in there needs to be control over any replacement. The promoters can not be trusted to do this, but then we keep going around the circle of why we need independent control.

• Like 1

It's so funny how everyone seems to jump to conclusions. A number of the promoters including Matt Ford need to talk to their draft picks such as Lee Smart as these riders are currently not confirmed in NL or PL and so they need to find out what they are planning to do. Newman and Kerr for instance are focusing on PL so its already clear what their commitments are (being at Plymouth and Newcastle).

Do think Kings Lynn and Coventry have come out strongest in the draft. Am assuming Kings Lynn get first call on Kerr and Rose otherwise if a meeting clashes with Newcastle they will have no English reserves.

• Like 1

Whilst I don't follow Poole, the number of paranoid people on here is incredible. As I mentioned previously a whole host of the picks haven't confirmed there NL or PL places yet so hence the promoters may need to change picks if these conflict there main race night. Having read this forum for a while good attempted wind up Gavan, lets wait though for facts rather than speculate. Do hope Phil Morris can now go back to the Brummies, did a great job last season.

• Like 2

It's so funny how everyone seems to jump to conclusions. A number of the promoters including Matt Ford need to talk to their draft picks such as Lee Smart as these riders are currently not confirmed in NL or PL and so they need to find out what they are planning to do. Newman and Kerr for instance are focusing on PL so its already clear what their commitments are (being at Plymouth and Newcastle).

Do think Kings Lynn and Coventry have come out strongest in the draft. Am assuming Kings Lynn get first call on Kerr and Rose otherwise if a meeting clashes with Newcastle they will have no English reserves.

Jon Cook doesn't seem concerned that Adam Ellis hasn't got a PL spot yet. How many PL and EL teams will Poole clash with on a Wednesday?

Poole fans were all (rightly) supporting Smart's arrival yesterday. Now Ford has basically announced that he is considering alternatives. Smart has signed up to the process with good intent. I'd hope the decision whether to ride at Poole is his alone and not Ford's.