British Speedway Forum

Pirates 2014

Equality at the start of the season makes speedway, NO WAY do we want some teams on 38 and some on 45!!!! Stupid idea!

Why not do that BUT the team that starts on 38 gets 14 points added to their score (45-38 = 7. For every point your oppositions score you lose one so it needs to be doubled). That way Poole get Ward and Holder and a more expensive team as the Poole public expect the best. Meanwhile Eastbourne can have a 38 point team with Bridger as number 1 as there fans don't expect big names but at least Eastbourne stand a chance of beating Poole with the handicap.

There are a number of sports with handicaps and competitors of differing standard compete at the same time. Golf, one of the biggest sports in the World uses a successful handicap system.

Why not do that BUT the team that starts on 38 gets 14 points added to their score (45-38 = 7. For every point your oppositions score you lose one so it needs to be doubled). That way Poole get Ward and Holder and a more expensive team as the Poole public expect the best. Meanwhile Eastbourne can have a 38 point team with Bridger as number 1 as there fans don't expect big names but at least Eastbourne stand a chance of beating Poole with the handicap.

There are a number of sports with handicaps and competitors of differing standard compete at the same time. Golf, one of the biggest sports in the World uses a successful handicap system.

Very true, but I would still not get enough to beat Tiger Woods :P

Incidently, you also get a handicap of 70% of the difference in game averages in Ten Pin Bowling league bowling.

Robert Lambert is going to be very much in demand!!!!! Can write his own paycheck I reckon!!

You'd assume the the conference addressed the problem of Outgoing exceeding Income even with a million pound a year sponsorship.

Then again maybe not !!!

Edited by 500cc

I personally think that will be the case.

Lets hope so as it will be another joke if teams who have had National League teams when others couldn't be bothered are not allowed to use their own assets.

Lets wait & see though but personally I think it's wrong & it didn't work in the 80's so what's different now?.

Todays Echo.

Poole Pirates: Matt Ford set to hold talks with riders after speedway rule changes
.7:38pm Sunday 17th November 2013 in Pirates News By Ian Wadley .

PIRATES PROMOTER: Matt Ford PIRATES chief Matt Ford admits he will have to do “a lot of soul searching” as he prepares to hold talks with riders over a reduced team-building limit for 2014.

Ford was speaking after the three-day annual British Speedway Promoters' Association (BSPA) summit, where rule changes were introduced ahead of next season.

The headline news saw BSPA chairman Alex Harkess confirm that Leicester would replace Peterborough in a 10-team Elite League after the Panthers resigned their position in the top flight and their owners left the sport. Harkess also reported that negotiations were ongoing over a broadcast deal.

In terms of team building, the two reserve berths must be occupied by up-and-coming British riders and clubs will have just 32 points to play with for the remaining top five.

As Pirates' asset base is heavily loaded with high-end stars, Ford is facing some serious number crunching as he attempts to build his next one-to-seven.

Although Ford politely declined to go into details on individuals, it appears difficult to squeeze both Chris Holder (9.23 average) and Darcy Ward (9.07) into the same team. Josh Grajczonek (4.48) is a hot favourite to be included, while the new ruling could also see Dorset lad Kyle Newman allocated to Poole.

Ford told the Daily Echo: “A 32-point limit for the top five is restricting. There will be some serious thinking to do over the next few days and weeks.

“I need to sit down with the top end of the team and see what their feelings are because there is also going to be a few more matches. There will be 36 league matches instead of 28 so that is another eight fixtures. I need to make sure that suits the top guys in our team.

“There are many things to discuss and, first and foremost, that is what we will be looking at. Then, we will make decisions in the very near future.”

On the new limit, Ford said: “My thoughts are that it is too low. However, I had always said that I would go with the majority of the room.

“Along with one other club, I would have liked the limit to have been kept higher to have more options and choice but, unfortunately for us, that was not the will of the majority. It is a little low but we will put together as competitive a team as we can and look forward to coming to the tapes come next year.”

Ford also provided some clarity on the new regulation regarding “National League” reserves. Some up-and-coming riders with slightly more experience, such as Newman, are also set to qualify. A list of riders is being compiled and will be split into two groups, with GB national management allocating clubs one from each.

He said: “It is a rule which has been running in Poland and Sweden for a couple of years and it is safe to say they have felt the benefits, while we have fallen behind on the international stage.

“It will not be based solely on this year's National League and it will also help riders who have never achieved a certain average in the Premier League.

“I hope Kyle Newman will be one of the riders representing us. He is extremely popular with the Poole fans and he has a wonderful rapport with them.”

Meanwhile, the Swindon Advertiser reported that former Pirates captain Alun Rossiter, the current Robins boss, had applied to succeed Neil Middleditch as Team Great Britain manager.

References to the 'British League' are appearing in statements now, so maybe that will be announced officially when the new TV deal is confirmed in the next few days/weeks!!? The 'BT British League' has a certain ring to it - do you see what I did there?! :t::rofl::D

The key issues for Matt now are :-

1. Do Darcy and/or Noddy want to do more meetings?

2. If so, does he use one or both? (Personally I think we'll see Darcy!)

3. Will he stick with the previously announced riders ie Josh, Kyle Howarth (and Kyle Newman at reserve - assuming he is 'allocated'?)

Edited by Skidder1

Difficult one but I think like you Ward will get the nod. Holder will be waiting in the wings if we need him. We could then have a more balanced team of Ward, KK/Pedersen, Bech, Zorro etc. Cant see Matt sticking with Howarth and Josh as they will want to double up if that is still available? Otherwise we will have 4 riders doubling up in the team.

Difficult one but I think like you Ward will get the nod. Holder will be waiting in the wings if we need him. We could then have a more balanced team of Ward, KK/Pedersen, Bech, Zorro etc. Cant see Matt sticking with Howarth and Josh as they will want to double up if that is still available? Otherwise we will have 4 riders doubling up in the team.

Has anyone got the averages for Ward, KK/Pedersen, Bech, Zorro....?

Cheers