British Speedway Forum

Pirates 2014

Back at the start of the year, when all talks and discussions were about the FTR's I brought up the issue of relation of average compatibility, taking into account how it would be more difficult for the top riders to maintain their current score. The riders not participating would be on a higher score than those actually riding. SKIDDER went to great length to rubbish me and what I was saying, and insinuated I was imagining problems that didn't exist ...

Strange how these things turn out. It now seem everything I said has come back to haunt POOLE. It now appears both Holder and Hancock cant cover for Ward now because Darcy's average has dropped, If at the start of the year calculations been in place to alleviate the differences , then probably the pre-mentioned two could have replaced him....

I really have no idea what you're going on about here with 'relation of average compatibility' etc, but I reckon Darcy's average drop is something to do with not being in the best form, some silly crashes, and an injury

• Like 1

I really have no idea what you're going on about here with 'relation of average compatibility' etc, but I reckon Darcy's average drop is something to do with not being in the best form, some silly crashes, and an injury

What is being talked about is the change on heat format, which pits heat leaders pre-dominant ly against other heatleaders. As a result, almost all hl have dropped their average. So a rider averaging 8.5 this seadon might be the equivslent of a rider averaging 9 last season.

If a conversion system was in place, ward would likely be able to be replaced by holder/hancock.

• Like 2

What is being talked about is the change on heat format, which pits heat leaders pre-dominant ly against other heatleaders. As a result, almost all hl have dropped their average. So a rider averaging 8.5 this seadon might be the equivslent of a rider averaging 9 last season.

If a conversion system was in place, ward would likely be able to be replaced by holder/hancock.

If this was agreed at the start of the season and made nice and transparent for all to see I don't think people would have a problem with it.

Will Poole only be allowed to use guests for 28 days?

given that the deadline day for team changes will have been and gone I would expect all facilities granted from here on would be to the end of the season rather than just 28 days.

I nearly choked on my dinner just now when I opened today's Speedway Star and read Matt Ford's quotes:

"If they choose to ban him on Friday or Saturday, they totally screw my team and my business. That needs to be taken into consideration. You're not just affecting the rider".

"Anyone can guess what's going to happen to him, but no-one actually knows. Fingers crossed he gets away with it because obviously we need him desperately for the play-offs".

I don't think Matt is grasping the bigger picture here - rules? right and wrong? morality? ethics?

Well Done on highlighting this, I also was totally appalled by this quote - the phase "gets away with it" is in itself a total admission of guilt which should receive appropriate punishment

As a total EL neutral I have no axe to grind with Poole, MF or Darcy Ward, but you would hope the correct actions are taken and it looks like FIM will be doing this.

Best Wishes to Poole fans, you are the ones who have to endure the consequences of Ward's irresponsibility, and finally well done to Middleditch on his honest and fair assessment.

• Like 1

Perhaps if the lesson was not to bother with British speedway... He's hardly desperate to ride here!

Why, after British Speedway helped him at the start his career, :unsure: but all Darcy has done is throw it back in Poole, the fans and Ford's face even after all the chances he has had, so by your post I take it that's the sort of actions you support of a PROFESSIONAL rider.

Edited by Buttons

what happens after 28days?

Just had a quick scan through the regulations + ammendments and there is nothing with regards to facilities after August 28th. So, Poole are effectively left with guests or R/R for 28 days then after that is PL guest less than 6.

A switched on manager would use a PL guest, withdraw them for injury after their first heat and inforce the IRR facility. That way, Magic, Milik etc can take the remaining rides as Ward's average is what counts isn't it. Effectively, not making Poole any weaker as Ward was always pretty good for a few bum heats recently anyway. Can't see anything in the regulations to stop that happening.

IRR is only available for a rider injured during the meeting, and it is the medical officer's call.

So unless you can find a supply of PL reserves willing to be 'injured' this won't work

PS Pretty sure the facility will extend beyond 28 days, so it will be academic.

Edited by arnieg

Why, after British Speedway helped him at the start his career, :unsure: but all Darcy has done is throw it back in Poole, the fans and Ford's face even after all the chances he has had, so by your post I take it that's the sort of actions you support of a PROFESSIONAL rider.

It may have helped start his career, but once it's started they aren't interested anymore. Kicking him out won't teach him anything.

• Like 2

Is it possible if Darcy gets a short ban he could be back for the play offs?

It would be an absolute disgrace IF he was given a short ban but yes i would imagine he would be able to if that were the case.

usually the 29th!!! :D

All EL 'facilities' are at the discretion of the BSPA MC. :t:

and I'm sure in the play-offs Sky will want full 7-rider teams - even with guests.

I have no doubt Poole will be allowed the facility past the 28 days and for all the Play Off matches.

If they make that exemption then a rule change should be implemented in the close season that extends to ALL teams that cant sign a rider in time for the cut off date.

It would only be fair.

Well Done on highlighting this, I also was totally appalled by this quote - the phase "gets away with it" is in itself a total admission of guilt which should receive appropriate punishment

As a total EL neutral I have no axe to grind with Poole, MF or Darcy Ward, but you would hope the correct actions are taken and it looks like FIM will be doing this.

Best Wishes to Poole fans, you are the ones who have to endure the consequences of Ward's irresponsibility, and finally well done to Middleditch on his honest and fair assessment.

Ah but according to Skidder, we are not in possession of all the facts!!! :rolleyes: Not sure what other facts could possibly exonerate Wards actions over that SGP weekend.

• Like 4

There are that many tears falling in blue tint land that the track may well be flooded & un-ridable in the near future thus scuppering their play-off aspirations. We have been told so many times that Matt Ford in the consummate professional. If so, he should have for-seen this coming & made changes, replacing Ward who has put the club in this position with his actions!

• Like 3

Ah but according to Skidder, we are not in possession of all the facts!!! :rolleyes: Not sure what other facts could possibly exonerate Wards actions over that SGP weekend.

Look as I've said right from the beginning, I don't condone what he has done, and he has to be punished appropriately, BUT we don't yet know all the facts do we?? We don't know anything about whether there was a blood or urine test; whether the breath test equipment was calibrated etc etc.

All I'm saying is that the FIM rules allow for a punishment in these circumstances, of a fine plus a minimum of a reprimand ( maybe a slapped wrist and suspended sentence?) and a maximum of a 2 year ban.

Its quite clear what the 'anti-Ward' people want as much as its equally clear what the 'pro-Ward' fans would prefer.

Lets just wait and see.

Edited by Skidder1