British Speedway Forum

Pirates 2014

Sorry, but that's garbage - allowing any leniency only encourages bad behaviour..

Sayfutdinov had personal tragedy during the series last year did he not ? I don't remember him failing breath tests and the like..

It's about personal responsibility - if this twit Ward can't deal with whatever is going on in his personal life without putting others in danger, then perhaps he needs to take some time out of the sport.

You're just a very unpleasant individual. When you can't have a reasoned debate without becoming offensive you just come across as a nasty person. I am sure you know that already.

I guess Matt Ford is already on the phone to Chris Holder . I don't have a problem with that cos Poole fans shouldn't suffer because of an idiot.

I expect Holder is probably a bit too busy to take a call at the moment ;) But yes, I expect Chris (or perhaps even Greg?) will be getting a phone call after Darcy's ban has been confirmed.

You're just a very unpleasant individual. When you can't have a reasoned debate without becoming offensive you just come across as a nasty person. I am sure you know that already.

There can be no excuses for what Ward has done, he has put himself and his other GP riders at risk, and should be punished. You have to wonder how many times he has ridden either in SGP or in league when he has still had alcohol in his system. To that end I`m delighted he has been caught.

• Like 5

Stop being so precious.. what you said is garbage. End of. I could have said a lot worse believe me.

The reasoned debate is simple. He failed an alcohol test at an Fim event. He should be punished hard. No question.

Stop belly rubbing about mitigating circumstances or peoples version of events.

You're as bad as Middleditch here.

• Like 5

Stop being so precious.. what you said is garbage. End of. I could have said a lot worse believe me.

The reasoned debate is simple. He failed an alcohol test at an Fim event. He should be punished hard. No question.

Stop belly rubbing about mitigating circumstances or peoples version of events.

You're as bad as Middleditch here.

My point proven exactly. Nasty person through and through.

Update:

Darcy Ward: "I received some bad family news yesterday." "I had a few drinks too and guess I had a few too many." "I was only marginally over the limit" "I guess I was not hydrated enough" "It's been the worst day of my life".

As others have said there is no excuse and a ban should be expected.

Scott Nicholls: "It would set a bad example if a ban is not awarded"

Surely ALL the riders in the past who got a ban had `mitigating circumstances`.

Makes no difference.

Punish the offence.

Exactly. I take on board and sympathise with him if he's had personal tragedy which he alluded to in his interview, but with respect, he then says he didn't hydrate properly..

Sounds like he's a frequent pre gp drinker if he blames hydration as the reason why he failed this time.

• Like 3

Surely ALL the riders in the past who got a ban had `mitigating circumstances`.

Makes no difference.

Punish the offence.

Yes but they should always be taken in to account when it comes down to exactly how long that ban may be. Unfortunately, as we have learned through time it is not always possible or sensible to have a blanket punishment for all and that the offense is not the only thing taken in to account. I do not know what Darcy is going through but I do know I have made some bad decisions in times of grief and hardship.

Don't forget, I am saying Darcy is in the wrong and should receive a ban.

Edited by Charizard

Yes but they should always be taken in to account when it comes down to exactly how long that ban may be. Unfortunately, as we have learned through time it is not always possible or sensible to have a blanket punishment for all and that the offense is not the only thing taken in to account.

Don't forget, I am saying Darcy is in the wrong and should receive a ban.

As far as mitigating circumstances they maybe should or could affect the length of punishment. But NEVER affect IF its punishable or not.

Brave of Ward to apologise but it really was just excuses, and he knows it.

No doubt embarrassed and realising the damage it has done.

As far as mitigating circumstances they maybe should or could affect the length of punishment. But NEVER affect IF its punishable or not.

And probably been advised to do it. Shame there wasn't the advice last night

• Like 2

I firmly believe he should be punished, there is never an excuse for putting other peoples lives at risk.

I do believe they should affect the length of the punishment. I don't believe somebody who who may of been pushed towards drink or drugs in a time of grief or hardship should be punished the same way as somebody who does drink or drugs for fun and put's peoples lives at risk in the process.

I firmly believe he should be punished, there is never an excuse for putting other peoples lives at risk.

I do believe they should affect the length of the punishment. I don't believe somebody who who may of been pushed towards drink or drugs in a time of grief or hardship should be punished the same way as somebody who does drink or drugs for fun and put's peoples lives at risk in the process.

Well i've heard his excuses. He has my sympahy. 2 year ban.

Btw, when he got his drink driving charge and admitted using drugs, was he suffering grief or hardship then aswell ?

• Like 6

Do you really believe this is the only time he has ever had a drink the day before a meeting?

Update:
Source: bournemouthecho.co.uk

The 22-year-old is due to attend a jury meeting following this afternoon's event in Riga at which he will give his version of events.

Based on that meeting, a decision will then be made on what punishment, if any, will be handed out. A suspension and/or fine are possible penalties that Ward could face.

His team manager at Poole, Neil Middleditch, politely declined to comment on the matter in detail.

However, Middleditch told the Daily Echo: "I do not condone Darcy's actions but there are some mitigating circumstances which will come to light."

Well i've heard his excuses. He has my sympahy. 2 year ban.

Btw, when he got his drink driving charge and admitted using drugs, was he suffering grief or hardship then aswell ?

I think a 2 year ban is well over the top. He has done wrong and deserves punishment but potentially ending his career considering the circumstances isn't the right thing to do.

And no, I don't think he was suffering from grief or hardship then.

Do you really believe this is the only time he has ever had a drink the day before a meeting?

I would prefer to go by evidence than judge somebody who I really don't know, especially not based on mistakes they may have made in the past. None of us here know the full story. It's very easy for us to be judgmental when we aren't walking in his boots.

Edited by Charizard
  • Like 1

If he was only slightly over I doubt any other rider's life was in danger, are some people going OTT because this is Darcy? He said it was the worst day of his life, sounds like something really horrible concerning his family :-(

The limit is zero for a reason. I'd say the same whoever the rider. Alcohol and speed at close quarters do not mix

• Like 4

He has history, he hasnt been pushed towards it. This is just ANOTHER occasion.

Update:

Source: bournemouthecho.co.uk

The 22-year-old is due to attend a jury meeting following this afternoon's event in Riga at which he will give his version of events.

Based on that meeting, a decision will then be made on what punishment, if any, will be handed out. A suspension and/or fine are possible penalties that Ward could face.

His team manager at Poole, Neil Middleditch, politely declined to comment on the matter in detail.

However, Middleditch told the Daily Echo: "I do not condone Darcy's actions but there are some mitigating circumstances which will come to light."

I think a 2 year ban is well over the top. He has done wrong and deserves punishment but potentially ending his career considering the circumstances isn't the right thing to do.

And no, I don't think he was suffering from grief or hardship then.

I would prefer to go by evidence than judge somebody who I really don't know.

Declined to comment............................. other than to offer an excuse. Typical Middlo response.

• Like 2