British Speedway Forum

Pirates 2014

I actually knew a guy who called up Matt Ford and Poole's previous promoter (who's name is on the tip of my tongue but I cannot recall!) to discuss his concerns with one of their decisions. He was told in no uncertain terms to "f**k off" and if he didn't like it then he should stop attending. :o

Good aye Starman? :D

• Like 1

The only other rider currently in a 1-7 who is ranked below 24 is Lee Payne at 26. This rule change doesn't affect him as he can still only be replaced by riders who are ranked below him.

No, according to the rules on the BSPA FTD list, he can be replaced by anybody below 24. For riders in 1 - 24 position, they can only be replaced by rider below them.

Edited by DunRobin

No, according to the rules on the BSPA FTD list, he can be replaced by anybody below 24. For riders in 1 - 24 position, they can only be replaced by rider below them.

The point is there is nobody below 24 but above 26 who is available to replace Payne. So he can still only be replaced by those below him.

So only Poole gain from this late change of rules! If you were going to allow flexibility ALL teams should have been allowed 2 or 3 positions flexibility.

So who can replace Lee Payne now who couldn't replace him last weekend?

Nobody. The only rider who couldn't replace him before the rule change who now can is Compton at 25 - and he's already spoken for.

I see Phil Morris is still doing his Twitter feeds. Pity he don't enlighten the forum of his justification of the FTR lists and reasons why Compton was conveniently dropped 10 places.

All these favours requested and manipulations asked for, it must be so easy to get things mixed up. Had you'd dropped Compton 12 places, there would have been no need to alter any rules in mid-season, and all this rubbish would have been brushed under the carpet......

I see Phil Morris is still doing his Twitter feeds. Pity he don't enlighten the forum of his justification of the FTR lists and reasons why Compton was conveniently dropped 10 places.

All these favours requested and manipulations asked for, it must be so easy to get things mixed up. Had you'd dropped Compton 12 places, there would have been no need to alter any rules in mid-season, and all this rubbish would have been brushed under the carpet......

No it wouldn't, it still would have been as bad.

• Like 2

No justification for comptons sudden drop from 15 to 25

No justification for changing the rules this late in the season

No justification for having one guy decide draft positions

should been all done on a computer , there is software that exists that would do it for you and fairly ,a software program that fans could also download aswell then everyone would have the same draft list positions thats the only fair way to do it , with no fiddling

• Like 4

No it wouldn't, it still would have been as bad.

Probably I didn't make that clear in that post. Yes it would have been just as bad, and the outcome the same, but rules would have been intact. and probably it wouldn't have became so obvious as it is now. But still terribly wrong. The contempt they treat us supporters with, is disgraceful. It about time they realised were on their side...... When eventually, all the supporters have gone, there will be no Speedway Promoters....

• Like 4

No justification for comptons sudden drop from 15 to 25

No justification for changing the rules this late in the season

No justification for having one guy decide draft positions

should been all done on a computer , there is software that exists that would do it for you and fairly ,a software program that fans could also download aswell then everyone would have the same draft list positions thats the only fair way to do it , with no fiddling

If you look he dropped from 15 to 19 on 1st June , from 19 to 20 on 1st July, and to 25 0n 1st Aug, so not really a "sudden" drop

But why has he dropped as his NL average has gone up?

But still below Johnson's!! As I stated previously there must be other data being used than just NL averages!! Not all the FT riders are in the NL for a start - don't some ride in all 3 leagues and some in EL/PL or PL/NL ? So there has to be some sort of formula that Phil Morris has on his spreadsheet. Compton was out for a month with a scaphoid injury so presumably would have had some effect if some form of 'rolling' averages are also being calculated?!

How can anyone directly compare/rank a NL rider against a EL/NL or PL/NL rider without some sort of 'weighting'??

But still below Johnson's!!

It's not. He averaging the best part of 8 this season. His last season average is lower than Johnson now! The whole idea of the draft we were told is the position chnaged monthly on current form. Clearly not for Compton whos current form puts him in the top 15.

Just read this on the Daily Echo website:

CHRIS HOLDER FILLS IN

MATT FORD today announced the signing of former skipper and now fast track rider Chris Holder to replace the under performing Benji Compton in the Poole Pirates side. After a recent spell of injuries Chris Holder has dropped from his 2012 position of number 1 in the world, to number 26 in the Elite League fast track draft system.

Matt told the Daily Echo: "We are very pleased to announce the signing of Chris Holder as our number 7 for the remaining of the 2014 season"

"Although Chris (Holder) hasn't had the best of years in world speedway we still believe he can provide some all important strength at reserve. His track knowledge could prove valuable and as he is now 26th in the fast track pool we are able to sign him right away"

"I've had my eyes on Chris ever since I dreamt up the idea a few weeks ago. We are all very excited to welcome Chris back to the team."

Birmingham Brummies manager Phil Morris explained to the Daily Echo that the decision to include Australian Chris Holder in the British fast track system was one that was "unanimously agreed upon amongst all BSPA members".

"We decided that the fast track system isn't working in it's current format, at least not as well as we know it can"

"Chris has struggled with injury throughout the season and we believe that it is in the best interests of British Speedway to help Chris find a position in the fast track system while he focuses on getting his racing career back on track"

Chris Holder who's 2013 Elite League average was 10.15 will line up for the Pirates in the number 7 reserve berth on their away visit to King's Lynn this Thursday at 7:30pm.

King’s Lynn Stars
1. Niels-Kristian Iversen, 2. Nicklas Porsing, 3. Rory Schlein, 4. Robert Lambert, 5. Kenneth Bjerre, 6. Lewis Kerr , 7. Lewis Rose
Poole Pirates
1. Darcy Ward, 2. Vaclav Milik, 3. Chris Harris (G), 4. Josh Grajczonek, 5. Maciej Janowski, 6. Kyle Newman, 7. Chris Holder
Edited by Charizard
  • Like 4

If you look he dropped from 15 to 19 on 1st June , from 19 to 20 on 1st July, and to 25 0n 1st Aug, so not really a "sudden" drop

No other rider has moved anywhere near as much though.

As far as I can tell since the first list was posted the next biggest mover has been Max Clegg who has moved from 28 to 20. However, two riders who were above him are now not on the list due to retirement and it is reasonable to accept that a rider of his tender years would show improvement throughout the year.

Benji has been around that long, we should be aware by now what he is capable of. His years of experience (and modest achievement for a number of PL clubs) were reflected in his positioning at 15. I don't recall anybody saying that he was saddled with too high a grading earler in the season and there seems no plausible reason why he should now be graded below riders such as Tim Webster and Liam Carr.

But why has he dropped as his NL average has gone up?

Plain ridiculous suggestion in the first place.

It would be like dropping Lewis Rose ten places.

NO rider that is maintaining OR improving his NL/PL average should by any theory dropping places in the Draft - unless its a fix of course.

• Like 1

At least when grading riders was used in the Conference League the age and length of time a rider had been riding was taken into account. Grading was calculated once a season, prior to the start of the season. It was the reason that Scunthorpe won the CL in 2007. All the riders, bar Wayne Carter, were under 21 and, because of their grading, fitted into the side. Without the grading of age and experience that wouldn't have been possible.

Grading - taking account of age and experience - should be used for FTR.

What's happened to Starman ? He hasn't been on here since last night . Do you think he has maybe fallen down one of those big holes in the Poole track ?

I would say he would be too embarrassed to come on for a while seeing as even Poole supporters have condemned the move, however going by the Starman 2006 that we all know - he will be back soon like he is still in the right and that everyone else is wrong.

My money is on the latter! :t: