British Speedway Forum

Pirates 2014

The rule change was notified to and agreed by promoters no later than August 1st - possibly earlier! Compton's willingness to ride for Poole was confirmed by Sunday 3rd latest and notified, as is required, in readiness for Poole's home meeting on Wednesday 6th. Compton was not available/ready to ride on Monday 4th August.

The rule change was made public on the BSPA website on Tuesday 5th August.

The only thing missing from the situation is any explanation from either the BSPA or the Fast Track Co-ordinator as to the revised rider positions in the list - BUT whatever formula is being used to update the list each month, it is presumably taking into account rider performances upto a cut-off point each month. For example Darren Mallett is on a NL average of 9+ points yet is only No. 22 on the list, so the placings must take into account other data and calculations.

A clarification would ne nice.

Hmm not a good example using Mallett,would say the good old BSPA have got his and Rose's averages mixed up.Can they do anything right :icon_smile_clown: .By the way the smiley refers to the BSPA.

Why don't one of you ring up Matt Ford in his office and speak to him; It's easy to talk on a forum but why not ring up Matt and speak to him directly.

Here is Poole Speedway's office number: (01202) 681145

Good luck with that. Matt Ford once asked for my phone number after some allegations I made - I never received a call. Edited by SCB

The rule change was notified to and agreed by promoters no later than August 1st - possibly earlier! Compton's willingness to ride for Poole was confirmed by Sunday 3rd latest and notified, as is required, in readiness for Poole's home meeting on Wednesday 6th. Compton was not available/ready to ride on Monday 4th August.

The rule change was made public on the BSPA website on Tuesday 5th August.

The only thing missing from the situation is any explanation from either the BSPA or the Fast Track Co-ordinator as to the revised rider positions in the list - BUT whatever formula is being used to update the list each month, it is presumably taking into account rider performances upto a cut-off point each month. For example Darren Mallett is on a NL average of 9+ points yet is only No. 22 on the list, so the placings must take into account other data and calculations.

A clarification would ne nice.

Also missing from the situation is any explanation as to why the rule change was made with so little(relatively) of the regular season remaining. Also why implement a rule change that in effect only affects one rider.

Why don't one of you ring up Matt Ford in his office and speak to him; It's easy to talk on a forum but why not ring up Matt and speak to him directly.

Here is Poole Speedway's office number: (01202) 681145[/size]

Are you Starman in disguise?

Surely the onus is on the BSPA to make a statement explaining rule changes etc. The paying fans shouldn't be treated as though they are stupid by the rule makers/breakers. Why should anyone chase Matt Ford for an answer, he (or Alex Harkess) should have given an explanation as soon as this was brought into question.

They really should know better - there are many knowledgable fans on here - did they really think that this latest underhanded transaction would get by unnoticed.

Also missing from the situation is any explanation as to why the rule change was made with so little(relatively) of the regular season remaining. Also why implement a rule change that in effect only affects one rider.

I think that is one of the major points being overlooked. Even if (and I stress IF) everything else were above board it is very unfair, in any sport to start tinkering with rules after the start of the season, even worse when th season is running to a close.

• Like 2

Not even with himself :o

I doubt it either.

Well, we all know why. But there will be no admission from any of the 4 involved.

Hang on, who notified the change to the promoters? Do you know why the change was initiated so late in the season ? Presumably someone must have proposed the change ?

Edited by E I Addio

did they really think that this latest underhanded transaction would get by unnoticed.

They knew full well it'd get picked up but it doesn't seem to bother them one way or the other. It certainly hasn't bothered them in the past.

Hang on, who notified the change to the promoters? Do you know why the change was initiated so late in the season ? Presumably someone must have proposed the change ?

Proposed? Someone demanded it, more like.

Edited by Vincent Blackshadow

Proposed? Someone demanded it, more like.

Whatever terminology you use this proposal/request/ demand didn't just float down from outer space one day. Two thirds of the way through the season someone suddenly decides the rules need changing and its so important it has to be done now, not at the AGM.

It does smell a bit.

• Like 2

I see the points everyone is making and do not disagree.

Questions I ask myself are

1) was the question of fast track reserves really thought through when it was brought in.

2) how can you assess a rider in this category with resorting to averages in any of the leagues.

3) does Matt Ford have the power to make rules for all of speedway and if so how?

To be honest this thread does seem to just be repeating itself and has gone past the point of debate as the two sides will never agree I feel.

I truly wish we could go back to the fun speedway was I the 80s & 90s when it truly was fun.

Riders in the main rode for one sometimes two clubs. Money was a lot less and riders and fans mixed a great deal.

I see the points everyone is making and do not disagree.

Questions I ask myself are

1) was the question of fast track reserves really thought through when it was brought in.

2) how can you assess a rider in this category with resorting to averages in any of the leagues.

3) does Matt Ford have the power to make rules for all of speedway and if so how?

To be honest this thread does seem to just be repeating itself and has gone past the point of debate as the two sides will never agree I feel.

I truly wish we could go back to the fun speedway was I the 80s & 90s when it truly was fun.

Riders in the main rode for one sometimes two clubs. Money was a lot less and riders and fans mixed a great deal.

To be fair it's not really 2 sides. Its practically everybody (except Starry).

Whatever terminology you use this proposal/request/ demand didn't just float down from outer space one day. Two thirds of the way through the season someone suddenly decides the rules need changing and its so important it has to be done now, not at the AGM.

It does smell a bit.

IT F$%^ING STINKS.....

WHY change the rules so far into the season ? and why do it in such a cloak and dagger way , with no annoucements of it and with a date of commencement etc

neil machin said this would happen in his interview to i think it was bikerfm a few months ago , he said ''wait till the elite promoters change the rules to get the rider they want ''

• Like 1

IT F$%^ING STINKS.....

WHY change the rules so far into the season ? and why do it in such a cloak and dagger way , with no annoucements of it and with a date of commencement etc

neil machin said this would happen in his interview to i think it was bikerfm a few months ago , he said ''wait till the elite promoters change the rules to get the rider they want ''

Well Neil Machin got it wrong. They didn't change the rules to get the rider THEY want, they changed to get the rider MATT FORD wants. I don't see any of the others rushing round to sign riders at No 25 or below in the draft. If several of them were wanting to change I could understand it.

Well Neil Machin got it wrong. They didn't change the rules to get the rider THEY want, they changed to get the rider MATT FORD wants. I don't see any of the others rushing round to sign riders at No 25 or below in the draft. If several of them were wanting to change I could understand it.

The only other rider currently in a 1-7 who is ranked below 24 is Lee Payne at 26. This rule change doesn't affect him as he can still only be replaced by riders who are ranked below him.

The only other rider currently in a 1-7 who is ranked below 24 is Lee Payne at 26. This rule change doesn't affect him as he can still only be replaced by riders who are ranked below him.

He could still be replaced by Benji Compton as a guest - if required and available! :t: