British Speedway Forum

Pirates 2014

if kyle newman wasnt in the draft list he would not be riding at wimbourne road this season

Yes. Strange that MF would use the rule immediately after it's inception and, I'd bet, even before other promoters were aware of it's existence. Makes you think back to the Kildermand signing (or non-signing, whichever) when he managed to snaffle the rider before anybody else (even the rider if some reports are to be believed) knew of his availability.

Makes one think Ford's got a hot-line to Ivory Towers - or to wherever these decisions are taken..

The fact that the rules were changed doesn't matter, the point is it was clearly changed just for Poole's benefit. And that is through and through wrong.

And you can prove that can you.. Careful how you answer that..

Edited by Starman2006

Surely any rule change should result in an amendment to the rules and regulations listed on the SCB website, which as far as I can see hasn't happened.

All we have is some wording added at the bottom of the greensheets. So have the SCB even been involved in this so called 'rule change'?

Wrong, the only thing to comment on is why rules are being changed three quarters of the way through a season.

And that pretty much sums it up. You are no speedway fan, simply a glory hunting supporter who is only concerned if his team wins, regardless of how they go about doing it.

It doesn't concern you that fans are abandoning the sport in their droves.

It doesn't concern you that teams are going out of business.

It doesn't concern you that despite cost cutting every year clubs are losing money as long as Poole are winning.

I wonder if it will concern you when riders like Ward will no longer be plying their trade in this country as there aren't any teams left for Poole to race against?

Maybe they'll just become part of the Premier League, or one bigger league, and then proceed to alienate another fan base and begin the whole process again.

Those that know me at at least 3 tracks know that you are talking out of your backside - and not for the first time!!

For the record, and I've said it on other threads the future of 'EL standard' speedway either has to go towards a smaller 'Super' league of clubs that can afford to operate in it, OR get rid of the GP riders and have One larger league of PL+ standard. Personally whichever way it goes would be fine by me. I've supported, both by attendance and sponsorship at all levels over the years, so bring it on.

I have no problem with Poole or any other team 'aiming to win'! that's what being in a competitive league/cup/tournament is all about, as long as its done within the clubs own financial limits and the guidelines agreed by the majority.

Edited by Skidder1

The only thing wrong is your opinion!! Have a go at the BSPA by all means but not on a Pirates thread. All promoters were advised of the proposed changes to the FT lower order, but if there was a majority against it, why allow it to change. Rosco certainly wasn't bothered by it, when he got the team sheet for Wednesday.

Keep telling yourself that.

The state of the sport tells a very different story.

It's already been proven, it's happened. It is FACT.

Those that know me at at least 3 tracks know that you are talking out of your backside - and not for the first time!!

For the record, and I've said it on other threads the future of 'EL standard' speedway either has to go towards a smaller 'Super' league of clubs that can afford to operate in it, OR get rid of the GP riders and have One larger league of PL+ standard. Personally whichever way it goes would be fine by me. I've supported, both by attendance and sponsorship at all levels over the years, so bring it on.

I have no problem with Poole or any other team 'aiming to win'! that's what being in a competitive league/cup/tournament is all about, as long as its done within the clubs own financial limits and the guidelines agreed by the majority.

It doesn't matter what tracks you go to, whose arse you lick, who your mates are, if you condone the constant breaking and changing of rules you are no fan of the sport as a whole.

• Like 4

Yes. Strange that MF would use the rule immediately after it's inception and, I'd bet, even before other promoters were aware of it's existence. Makes you think back to the Kildermand signing (or non-signing, whichever) when he managed to snaffle the rider before anybody else (even the rider if some reports are to be believed) knew of his availability.

Makes one think Ford's got a hot-line to Ivory Towers - or to wherever these decisions are taken..

I think it is more relevant to ask who this rule change could possibly benefit. On the list posted yesterday there are only 2 riders who were rated below 24 who were in a 1-7 - namely Brendan Johnson and Lee Payne. Additionally, there are only 5 riders rated below 24 who were available to be recruited so its hard to see why many of the promoters would be bothered introducing a seemingly minor rule change so late in the season. Yet this rule (added to Benji's mysterious slump in the rankings) has benefited one particular promoter, so not hard to see the motivation for the change.

Proud to say that foreverblue gets it and can see why other supporters are not happy. Unfortunatly the starmans of this world are what give the clubs fans a bad name. Just can't accept anything or any opinion they don't agree with, but wait its because we are all jealous and anti Poole. Totally pathetic retort they use of they don't like hearing the truth! Are all supporters wrong then? Lol

• Like 1

Come on Starman, you're giving us Pirates supporters a bad name.

If the rules had changed a month or two ago it wouldn't have been a problem. It's the fact that that the rules were changed so late on in the season, and that Poole had made use of these rules before they were even announced! You must be able to put 2 and 2 together?

Edited by Charizard
  • Like 5

Keep telling yourself that.

The state of the sport tells a very different story.

It's already been proven, it's happened. It is FACT.

It doesn't matter what tracks you go to, whose arse you lick, who your mates are, if you condone the constant breaking and changing of rules you are no fan of the sport as a whole.

Well that's your opinion?! If being a supporter at 3 tracks makes me NOT a fan of speedway then fine. The people whose opinions I respect know differently.

Lets just hope that bumper crowds like the one at Poole yesterday continue at as many tracks as possible with the true speedway fans simply enjoying heats of good racing with 2 teams of 7 riders compiled completely within the rules and regs. The vast majority not giving a toss about one reserve replacing another, within the rules.

I hope your day gets better BWitcher. Is the sun not shining in Portugal today? :D

Aah, I must have missed it yesterday afternoon as I was preparing to actually attend a live speedway meeting rather than continue to tap away on my laptop. I left home early as I knew there would be a bumper crowd to see a good meeting and I was proved right!! Compton got loads of cheers - as did all the Poole riders, and a couple of the Robins - presumably because loads of speedway fans were just happy to be there!! :t:

As has been commented elsewhere there were some Brummie fans present, who were also very pleased with the Poole performance and the racing :wink:

Skiddder, I really thought you were better than this. You are rapidly becoming SS Mk2 with some of your 'as long as everything is rosy in the Poole garden - then stuff everyone else' comments.

• Like 7

Well that's your opinion?! If being a supporter at 3 tracks makes me NOT a fan of speedway then fine. The people whose opinions I respect know differently.

Lets just hope that bumper crowds like the one at Poole yesterday continue at as many tracks as possible with the true speedway fans simply enjoying heats of good racing with 2 teams of 7 riders compiled completely within the rules and regs. The vast majority not giving a toss about one reserve replacing another, within the rules.

I hope your day gets better BWitcher. Is the sun not shining in Portugal today? :D

Sun is shining nicely thankyou.

Following Monday night and Pooles demolition of Wolves I actually found myself in a position I haven't been in for quite some time. I was very impressed by Poole, their commitment, team riding, it was a first class performance and for once there was nothing untoward about it all. I had nothing but praise for Poole.

Only for them to go and ruin it all once again!

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 9

Skiddder, I really thought you were better than this. You are rapidly becoming SS Mk2 with some of your 'as long as everything is rosy in the Poole garden - then stuff everyone else' comments.

Its not only Poole reporting reasonable - even increasing - crowds, I believe Coventry, Lakeside, Wolves and even BV aren't doing too badly either even if their on-track performances aren't always up to expectation. I would presume KL are also experiencing decent attendances, if they are not, being runaway league leaders then something must be wrong!

I really don't know what the 'successful' clubs or their supporters are supposed to do to help the less-successful ones?! Continuing to downsize and cut costs is fine to suit the lowest common denominator - but shouldn't be under an EL banner. If clubs want to operate in the top level then they should aspire to do so or give the promoting reins to someone else!!

Edited by Skidder1

Its not only Poole reporting reasonable - even increasing - crowds, I believe Coventry, Lakeside, Wolves and even BV aren't doing too badly either even if their on-track performances aren't always up to expectation. I would presume KL are also experiencing decent attendances, if they are not, being runaway league leaders then something must be wrong!

I really don't know what the 'successful' clubs or their supporters are supposed to do to help the less-successful ones?! Continuing to downsize and cut costs is fine to suit the lowest common denominator - but shouldn't be under an EL banner. If clubs want to operate in the top level then they should aspire to do so or give the promoting reins to someone else!!

What's that got to do with outright cheating?

• Like 1

Following Monday night and Pooles demolition of Wolves I actually found myself in a position I haven't been in for quite some time. I was very impressed by Poole, their commitment, team riding, it was a first class performance and for once there was nothing untoward about it all. I had nothing but praise for Poole.

Only for them to go and ruin it all once again.

But that's my point. 'They', by which you mean Poole, haven't ruined it all..

As I said before blame the BSPA office administrators all you like for not getting the change announced quicker, but this was known about by the promoters at least at the weekend - before the Wolves meeting, so don't let your opinion of a great Poole performance be swayed by the fault of others!

What's that got to do with outright cheating?

The ruling was changed - all promoters if not the fans -were aware of it. The wording has been updated on the BSPA website. Where's the cheating by Poole?

Anyway that's all from me for the time being. I have a life away from speedway too! :t:

Edited by Skidder1

The ruling was changed - all promoters if not the fans -were aware of it. The wording has been updated on the BSPA website. Where's the cheating by Poole?

Anyway that's all from me for the time being. I have a life away from speedway too! :t:

The point is the rules were changed with less than a month of the season left. There is no way anybody else can benefit from this rule.

Do you see now? Technically Poole did not cheat, but in the eyes of every decent supporter they have, and you'd have to deluded to think otherwise!

But that's my point. 'They', by which you mean Poole, haven't ruined it all..

As I said before blame the BSPA office administrators all you like for not getting the change announced quicker, but this was known about by the promoters at least at the weekend - before the Wolves meeting, so don't let your opinion of a great Poole performance be swayed by the fault of others!

I wouldn't even bother some can't grasp this.

Only for them to go and ruin it all once again!

And me ........................... for 24 hours.

Doubt i will ever give them the benefit again.

Still, the blind wont care as they care about nothing but Poole winning and if they have to break rules ("no they don't, rules are there for us to break them" copyright Middlo) then i am sure everything is fine and dandy in Dorset,

Unfortunately sad but true.

At least the sensible Poole fans can smell the bile that has taken place this week.

How where `all the fans aware of it`.

Show me the press statement that explains the reasons and for once you might have a valid point.

You wont by the way.

Surely any rule change should result in an amendment to the rules and regulations listed on the SCB website, which as far as I can see hasn't happened.

All we have is some wording added at the bottom of the greensheets. So have the SCB even been involved in this so called 'rule change'?

Who knows the answer to that one ? Since the SCB have responsibility for rule changes (and the clue is in the word "Control") the buck stops with them. The fact that they may delegate the job to others or may not know what is going on only highlights the inefficient structure of the sport. The SCB also have responsibility for enforcement of the rules so if they have not been amended then it still comes back to the SCB to enforce whatever rules are prevalent at the time.

The more I think about the situation the more it seems to me that the ultimate blame lies with the SCB. The reality may well be that they are powerless to do anything or it may be that they are useless but they are the ones that carry the ultimate responsibility. Even if everything has been honest and above board one still has to ask why a change of this nature took place at the tail end of the season instead of being carried over to next year so everyone starts on a level playing field.

• Like 1