British Speedway Forum

Pirates 2014

Because it is a rule change and the SCB have sole responsibility to initiate and enforce rule changes. Once the rules are changed the MC have no alternative but to allow the revised line up.

That might well be the way things are supposed to work but this is speedway in Britain and we know things don't always go as they should. Jesper B Jensen-gate (ratio of home/away matches counting for average calculation) was brought in at MC level (by a committee member to suit his own team's planning) and altered back by same. The SCB only got involved when Panthers complained about the reversion. Even then they shrugged shoulders and went with the MC flow.

Edited by Vincent Blackshadow

I have noticed it has gone very quiet on here from a lot of the Poole supporters.

My sister lives in Verwood and was a regular at Poole for 25 years or so up to a few years back. She has friends that still go every week and they are appalled over the situation with the FTR in the last 48 hours or so. I really don't think the Poole management and the BSPA/rule-makers have any idea what damage this is doing to the sport.

• Like 9

I have noticed it has gone very quiet on here from a lot of the Poole supporters.

My sister lives in Verwood and was a regular at Poole for 25 years or so up to a few years back. She has friends that still go every week and they are appalled over the situation with the FTR in the last 48 hours or so. I really don't think the Poole management and the BSPA/rule-makers have any idea what damage this is doing to the sport.

They don't care either. In all fairness, it's only the usual suspect(s) stirring and fishing as usual.

• Like 1

Good to see the BSPA have now updated the FTDR 'rule' on their website as of yesterday 6th August!

The 'rule' covers the need to have either a guest or a replacement of any FT rider below position 24 on the list!!

Great to see MF going with the rules, as if anyone doubted it??! :party: Incidentally the change was notified/ratified on Sunday, when Swindon were advised of Poole's team for last night. The only thing to comment on is why the BSPA didn't update the ruling straight away? Maybe the office staff don't work on a Sunday?? and had a couple of days off this week? None of which is Poole's fault!!

There were loads in the bumper crowd last night that clearly didn't share that view!!

Although we all appreciate that most fans would not even know or perhaps even care about the goings on behind the scenes and do not go on forums but as someone who does care, it is very disappointing this situation has occurred and although it is the promoter's job to explore all avenues to improve the team, the way it has been done is not how a professional sport should be run. At the very least we should have been told exactly why and when the rule change took place and who decided it was a good idea and on what basis are the gradings altered. The other thing is you would have thought that Matt Ford would have done is at least wait a week or two before announcing the team change after the announcement of the rule change!

Edited by foreverblue
  • Like 3

The sensible ones are probably too embarrassed by MF`s constant rule bending.

The rest are in the blue Egyptian river.

Good to see the BSPA have now updated the FTDR 'rule' on their website as of yesterday 6th August!

The 'rule' covers the need to have either a guest or a replacement of any FT rider below position 24 on the list!!

Great to see MF going with the rules, as if anyone doubted it??! :party: Incidentally the change was notified/ratified on Sunday, when Swindon were advised of Poole's team for last night. The only thing to comment on is why the BSPA didn't update the ruling straight away? Maybe the office staff don't work on a Sunday?? and had a couple of days off this week? None of which is Poole's fault!!

There were loads in the bumper crowd last night that clearly didn't share that view!!

Keep up. The introduction of the word replacement alongside guest was commented on about 5 pages ago, yesterday afternoon.

No mention of why a rule was changed after 5 months of the season or why a rider should inexplicably drop 10 places in the grading list.

• Like 5

Keep up. The introduction of the word replacement alongside guest was commented on about 5 pages ago, yesterday afternoon.

you can smell the bullrubbish 200 miles away here in the west midlands !

No mention of why a rule was changed after 5 months of the season or why a rider should inexplicably drop 10 places in the grading list.

Aah, I must have missed it yesterday afternoon as I was preparing to actually attend a live speedway meeting rather than continue to tap away on my laptop. I left home early as I knew there would be a bumper crowd to see a good meeting and I was proved right!! Compton got loads of cheers - as did all the Poole riders, and a couple of the Robins - presumably because loads of speedway fans were just happy to be there!! :t:

As has been commented elsewhere there were some Brummie fans present, who were also very pleased with the Poole performance and the racing :wink:

Edited by Skidder1

Because it is a rule change and the SCB have sole responsibility to initiate and enforce rule changes. Once the rules are changed the MC have no alternative but to allow the revised line up.

The issue is how the rules came to be changed with only a few weeks left in the season with most teams having completed most of their fixtures and in a way that is advantageous to one team and prejudicial to others who might have benefitted under the new rule if it had been in force throughout the season. Ultimately it is about a Control Bureau that is not in proper control and structural inefficiency in the way the sport is governed.

Surely any rule change should result in an amendment to the rules and regulations listed on the SCB website, which as far as I can see hasn't happened.

All we have is some wording added at the bottom of the greensheets. So have the SCB even been involved in this so called 'rule change'?

Wrong, the only thing to comment on is why rules are being changed three quarters of the way through a season.

Aah, I must have missed it yesterday afternoon as I was preparing to actually attend a live speedway meeting rather than continue to tap away on my laptop. I left home early as I knew there would be a bumper crowd to see a good meeting and I was proved right!! Compton got loads of cheers - as did all the Poole riders, and a couple of the Robins - presumably because loads of speedway fans were just happy to be there!! :t:

As has been commented elsewhere there were some Brummie fans present, who were also very pleased with the Poole performance and the racing :wink:

And that pretty much sums it up. You are no speedway fan, simply a glory hunting supporter who is only concerned if his team wins, regardless of how they go about doing it.

It doesn't concern you that fans are abandoning the sport in their droves.

It doesn't concern you that teams are going out of business.

It doesn't concern you that despite cost cutting every year clubs are losing money as long as Poole are winning.

I wonder if it will concern you when riders like Ward will no longer be plying their trade in this country as there aren't any teams left for Poole to race against?

Maybe they'll just become part of the Premier League, or one bigger league, and then proceed to alienate another fan base and begin the whole process again.

• Like 8

Surely any rule change should result in an amendment to the rules and regulations listed on the SCB website, which as far as I can see hasn't happened.

All we have is some wording added at the bottom of the greensheets. So have the SCB even been involved in this so called 'rule change'?

Wrong, the only thing to comment on is why rules are being changed three quarters of the way through a season.

The only thing wrong is your opinion!! Have a go at the BSPA by all means but not on a Pirates thread. All promoters were advised of the proposed changes to the FT lower order, but if there was a majority against it, why allow it to change. Rosco certainly wasn't bothered by it, when he got the team sheet for Wednesday.

Edited by Skidder1

You are so blinkered it's unbelievable. It was against the rules you must surely see that? Poole are not the best side this season so I think teams are challenging you especially teams that actually give young Brits a chance like Kings Lynn and Coventry. It pays to help and nurture young Brits too you know!

Yeh we are, his name Kyle Newman. Next question..

The fact that the rules were changed doesn't matter, the point is it was clearly changed just for Poole's benefit. And that is through and through wrong.

It is not too late for Matt Ford to make amends. If you are reading this, which I expect you are, do the right thing and get on the phone to Brendan. Let's not beat around the bush, I would be surprised if he scored a single point off his own back, but it's the right thing to do.

• Like 1

Although we all appreciate that most fans would not even know or perhaps even care about the goings on behind the scenes and do not go on forums but as someone who does care, it is very disappointing this situation has occurred and although it is the promoter's job to explore all avenues to improve the team, the way it has been done is not how a professional sport should be run. At the very least we should have been told exactly why and when the rule change took place and who decided it was a good idea and on what basis are the gradings altered. The other thing is you would have thought that Matt Ford would have done is at least wait a week or two before announcing the team change after the announcement of the rule change!

I don't have issues with rule changes through the season as they're sometimes required but this does look like it was done just for Poole and that is people's issue. Not is it just the rule change, it's the fact Compton slipped 5 places into 25th spot. That just isn't acceptable.

• Like 3

I don't have issues with rule changes through the season as they're sometimes required but this does look like it was done just for Poole and that is people's issue. Not is it just the rule change, it's the fact Compton slipped 5 places into 25th spot. That just isn't acceptable.

Looks like, thats a couple of big words...

At the very least we should have been told exactly why and when the rule change took place and who decided it was a good idea and on what basis are the gradings altered. The other thing is you would have thought that Matt Ford would have done is at least wait a week or two before announcing the team change after the announcement of the rule change!

Yes. Strange that MF would use the rule immediately after it's inception and, I'd bet, even before other promoters were aware of it's existence. Makes you think back to the Kildemand signing (or non-signing, whichever) when he managed to snaffle the rider before anybody else (even the rider if some reports are to be believed) knew of his availability.

Makes one think Ford's got a hot-line to Ivory Towers - or to wherever these decisions are taken..

Edited by Vincent Blackshadow
  • Like 5