British Speedway Forum

Pirates 2014

Lee Smart (taken from the Adver article below)..

“I’ve pulled the plug on speedway now, I’ve quit completely because I’ve had enough of all the politics and all the rubbish which goes with it."

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/11205781.CAUGHT_IN_THE_DRAFT__A_look_at_the_Swindon_reserves_who_set_out_to_make_a_name_for_themselves/?ref=var_0

• Like 2

“I’ve pulled the plug on speedway now, I’ve quit completely because I’ve had enough of all the politics and all the rubbish which goes with it."

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/11205781.CAUGHT_IN_THE_DRAFT__A_look_at_the_Swindon_reserves_who_set_out_to_make_a_name_for_themselves/?ref=var_0

That and the fact he can't ride.

I suppose its different from a supporter saying it.

I suppose its different from a supporter saying it.

Not forgetting the article also states 'he wasn't going to race at all in 2014, and now wishes he hadn't'!!, probably gives an indication of his demeanor from P&P day onwards!! Also the lack of planned Devon meetings did not help.

• Like 1

Oh i see, insult for insults sake. Got your number now, thanks.

You've been watching far to much TV... :rofl:

I am so angry after reading Matt Fraud's comments. Ben has been signed on a 1 month deal with a view to be extended based on performances. Give the guy a chance.

I agree, it may well be the case but it doens't need to be said.

In fact, aren't ALL speedway riders 1 bad month away from being sacked?!

Loyalty towards riders has never been that high on promoters agendas (some are more ruthless than others), so we cannot expect that to suddenly change where the FTD riders are concerned. It would be good if they were all given a chance for sure, but this is a results business and therefore short-termism will always supersede any long term planning.

• Like 1

I am so angry after reading Matt Fraud's comments. Ben has been signed on a 1 month deal with a view to be extended based on performances. Give the guy a chance.

Here's the rub, whether you like to read this or not.

Poole are run to win. Simple as that. We are a winning club and the promotion and fans demand 100% all the way. No easy rides, no "my place is safe for the season". Riders who wear the skull and crossbones know they must be at 100% or their place in the team is at risk. Matt wants to give the fans the best, the sponsors demand the best and Poole are probably the only team in the country who treat the sport the same as they do in Poland. With pressure on the riders to perform every time.

Matt Ford has given our new rider a month to prove himself. The rider knows he has to perform and give 100% or his place will be given to another rider. That doesn't mean he has to score big points. But it does mean he will have to give his best, beat his opposition number 7 at home and pick up at least a couple of points in away meetings.

If other clubs want to give their reserves a season or so, good for them. It doesn't work that way at Wimborne Road and long will it reamain that way.

• Like 6

Poole are run to win. Simple as that. We are a winning club and the promotion and fans demand 100% all the way. No easy rides, no "my place is safe for the season". Riders who wear the skull and crossbones know they must be at 100% or their place in the team is at risk. Matt wants to give the fans the best, the sponsors demand the best and Poole are probably the only team in the country who treat the sport the same as they do in Poland. With pressure on the riders to perform every time.

Matt Ford has given our new rider a month to prove himself. The rider knows he has to perform and give 100% or his place will be given to another rider. That doesn't mean he has to score big points. But it does mean he will have to give his best, beat his opposition number 7 at home and pick up at least a couple of points in away meetings.

If other clubs want to give their reserves a season or so, good for them. It doesn't work that way at Wimborne Road and long will it reamain that way.

Not often I agree with Shovlar :t:

Fair comment, but at least don't expect loyalty from the riders as that works both ways.

And it is hardly `looking after the interests` of the next generation if you take that approach.

But it is as many have said all along. Poole Speedway is run in the best interest of Poole Speedway alone.

That isn't a criticism by the way, its a statement of fact.

• Like 2

Why is it seemingly 'fans' from other teams have a problem with this??

Ben Hopwood is perfectly fine with the arrangements and looking forward to the possibility of picking up a bit of local sponsorship having lost all/most of last year's IOW sponsors!!

A good positive comment from a rider looking forward to taking his opportunity.

• Like 2

Why is it seemingly 'fans' from other teams have a problem with this??

Ben Hopwood is perfectly fine with the arrangements and looking forward to the possibility of picking up a bit of local sponsorship having lost all/most of last year's IOW sponsors!!

A good positive comment from a rider looking forward to taking his opportunity.

It doesn't matter what it is, fans from other teams have a problem with everything Poole do it seems

Fair comment, but at least don't expect loyalty from the riders as that works both ways.

And it is hardly `looking after the interests` of the next generation if you take that approach.

But it is as many have said all along. Poole Speedway is run in the best interest of Poole Speedway alone.

That isn't a criticism by the way, its a statement of fact.

Riders are only loyal to their back pockets.

Only fools rely on rider loyalty.

Every club is primarliy run in their own best interest.

• Like 2

should bring a rule in regarding a limit to team changes , only so many per season , or this kind of thing will escalate , football had to do it with the window,

riders need a chance to prove themself i dont think a month is enough imo

riders will probly say the same

its the win at all costs attitude thats at fault , and a particular team that will never be happy until it can include a 1-7 of heat leaders

• Like 1

Riders are only loyal to their back pockets.

Only fools rely on rider loyalty.

Every club is primarliy run in their own best interest.

What a sad and cynical view. Yes, it may be true of certain riders just as in any section of society but it is also true that there are riders who do show loyalty. By way of example I am led to believe that Craig Cook signed for Belle Vue last year, not because they offered the most money but because he wanted to repay the loyalty that had previously been shown to him.

My experience of life is that you tend to reap what you sow. If you show loyalty to others it will be generally be repaid. Not always and obviously not in an employment situation if you make a ridiculously low offer. However, if your offer is competitive previous loyalty can be the deciding factor.

Teams who show no loyalty will survive whilst they can offer a better package than others but sooner or later it will dawn on riders that they are better off elsewhere.

That is not a dig at Poole, enough riders seem to enjoy being there but a dig at the cynical materialistic view of life that is so negative and destructive.

• Like 1