British Speedway Forum

Pirates 2014

Definition of world champion - the best in their chosen sport :rolleyes:

Whilst I cheered loudly when Tai won the title, I think Ward is a better rider. Just makes the 2014 GP series that more exciting with a hell of a battle, providing all riders stay fit.

• Like 1

Definition of world champion - the best in their chosen sport :rolleyes:

Not particularly.You can have a runner who has broken the world record but not the current world champ,I would say the world record holder is the best.You could also have 3 or 4 world champions at a particular sport.Boxing for example........Don't think world best always equals world champion

Whilst I cheered loudly when Tai won the title, I think Ward is a better rider. Just makes the 2014 GP series that more exciting with a hell of a battle, providing all riders stay fit.

You can think what you want but the fact is that Tai IS world champion and Darcy isn't - queue the injury card AGAIN!! :rolleyes:

I like Darcy and I think he will be world champion one day (in the not too distant future too) but for now - don't rain on Tai's parade :rolleyes:

Not particularly.You can have a runner who has broken the world record but not the current world champ,I would say the world record holder is the best.You could also have 3 or 4 world champions at a particular sport.Boxing for example........Don't think world best always equals world champion

I disagree

• Like 1

You can think what you want but the fact is that Tai IS world champion and Darcy isn't - queue the injury card AGAIN!! :rolleyes:

I like Darcy and I think he will be world champion one day (in the not too distant future too) but for now - don't rain on Tai's parade :rolleyes:

I am certainly NOT raining on Tai's parade. I think it's great he's WC, However, I believe Darcy is a better rider. Just my opinion. Did you believe that Pole in 1973, Jerzy Sczakiel,(sp) was a better rider than Mauger?

I disagree

I knew it wouldn't take long for the `Darcy is better than Tai` debate to emanate from Dorset. Cant they just let other clubs and riders have a bit of attention? :rolleyes:

Could have, should have, would have. Tai was crowned World Champion fair and square AND rode twice with a severe injury. Shame Darcy didn't do the same if you want to make a serious attempt at such a ridiculous claim.

I disagree

You'd be wrong.Steve has also given an example and Egon Müller would be another.He was very good and at that track in Germany certainly amongst the sports elite,but no year ever was he the best rider in the world.........

I am certainly NOT raining on Tai's parade. I think it's great he's WC, However, I believe Darcy is a better rider. Just my opinion. Did you believe that Pole in 1973, Jerzy Sczakiel,(sp) was a better rider than Mauger?

You are entitled to your opinion but comparing a one-off final from yesteryear to someone who emerges top of the pile after a 12 round series is like comparing apples with pears. It's also a bit like comparing Poole's season with Birmingham's- one team was the best over the season and the other were crowned champions :rofl:

You'd be wrong.Steve has also given an example and Egon Müller would be another.He was very good and at that track in Germany certainly amongst the sports elite,but no year ever was he the best rider in the world.........

I would not be wrong thanks. You have an opinion and so do I - doesn't make me wrong unless what I said is factually incorrect - and the facts support my opinion! :approve:

I would not be wrong thanks. You have an opinion and so do I - doesn't make me wrong unless what I said is factually incorrect - and the facts support my opinion! :approve:

No they don't.The fact someone is the fastest runner in the world supports my view they are better than someone who has won a world championship.The fact there are 3 maybe 4 world boxing champs supports my opinion that a world champion isn't by definition the best.How can you have 3 or 4 people all different who are the best?Like i say,you are mixed up and confused

No they don't.The fact someone is the fastest runner in the world supports my view they are better than someone who has won a world championship.The fact there are 3 maybe 4 world boxing champs supports my opinion that a world champion isn't by definition the best.How can you have 3 or 4 people all different who are the best?Like i say,you are mixed up and confused

You certainly are... :wink:
  • Like 1

Can't win the speedway argument so talk about runners and boxing - and you claim I'm mixed up and confused! :rofl:

There are no facts just opinion. Tai being WC doesn't automatically mean he is the best rider in the world. My opinion is that Tai is one of a few riders at the top. I just think Ward is a little better. This isn't Poole bias just an opinion.

The original point which was, Would the Poole Pirates and Matt Ford rather have Tai Woffinden than Darcy Ward?

On purely riding ability, Middlo and Matt would both say that they would prefer Darcy Ward.

An opinion I suppose we must all bow to? :cheers: Words of wisdom from one of speedway's wisest counsels. :icon_smile_clown:

To be honest, it doesn't really matter what anyone on here thinks...

Tai is World Champion and Darcy is not. It is Tai's name that will always be in the record books.

Darcy is an exciting rider and his time will most likely come before long - only time will tell though..

exactly! Darcy is obviously world class but if he stayed fit then Poole would have had to have got rid of Stachyra and Miskowiak and they may not have got the riders in they did and started to win matches.

My point that one or two miss is Darcy's injury meant Poole could rebuild and win matches. By the time he was fit again he was able to come back and Poole were stronger again

I know what your saying but there would have been changes, Darcys injuries just speeded things up.

To be honest, it doesn't really matter what anyone on here thinks...

Tai is World Champion and Darcy is not. It is Tai's name that will always be in the record books.

Darcy is an exciting rider and his time will most likely come before long - only time will tell though..

Hoorah!! :t: