British Speedway Forum

Pirates 2014

Its not Poole fans that are saying Darcy should return early!!! Most of us are fully aware that the facility is for 'a minimum of 28 days' which allows Darcy to return to British speedway for May 14th if fully fit - which judging by his post-GP comments is looking increasingly unlikely!!!

Edited for update:-

And now confirmed Darcy likely to be out for more than the original 28 days, having damaged his knee further in the Bydgoszcz GP.

I've been unable to work for 5 months due to trouble with my knee & been on crutches & still in agony even 3 weeks after an op so Darcy is either superhuman or risking serious long term damage by riding with a bad knee. Edited by Crazy robin

the Bates to Poole rumours are put to bed as Bates has been re-assesed above Smart.

unless in the best interests of course!

Bate's is only available for guest appearances,not a full time position according to the BSPA site.

With Darcy now deciding to defer his knee op to the end of the season, I hope he chooses not to ride in any unnecessary challenge matches like Aussies v Poland on Thursday!!

Oooops!!

Of course he can't ride in British speedway until at least May 11th!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

Smart is to be replaced then it's just been announced on local radio

The whole speedway world is shocked by this totally unexpected news. 🙊🙉🙈 At least Lee won't have any more trouble trying to get time off work. 😂

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 2

No real surprise there. He has never recovered any form and looked over weight. Got a good second in heat two but after that the two Brum riders were dialled in and left him in their wake.

No one likes to see riders given the chop but really it was inevitable. The new reserve should be in the team for our trip to Monmore on Monday. Doubt he will strengthen us very much but he can't do much worse.

• Like 1

I can't disagree with the rationale of replacing a rider that clearly isn't cutting the mustard at a particular level. It doesn't do the individual any good with confidence levels; and potentially costs them more than they are earning to keep their machinery up to EL standards.

However, if I'm honest and this ISN'T (for once!) being anti-Poole, I believe that the lad has been replaced just a tad prematurely. A wheel hasn't been turned in May, yet Lee has already been dropped.

He clearly has talent, having won the NLRC in 2010. To this end, can we honestly say that he has been given every support and encouragement - given such a limited time frame?

I very much doubt it if I'm honest.

But some riders are clearly are treated as commodities rather than human-beings. Watch closely, and see how Lakeside handle Lewis given his current problems. ;)

Smart looked utterly miserable last night before the meeting. Shaleshifter, who posts on here, wished him good luck and got some type of muffled grunt. Sorry to say but there just didn't look like there was even a glimmer of hope of him improving.

If a rider is doing bad but showing he is enthusiastic and willing to give his all for the cause, then yes I agree he should be given every chance.

Smart looked utterly miserable last night before the meeting. Shaleshifter, who posts on here, wished him good luck and got some type of muffled grunt. Sorry to say but there just didn't look like there was even a glimmer of hope of him improving.

If a rider is doing bad but showing he is enthusiastic and willing to give his all for the cause, then yes I agree he should be given every chance.

What an absolute crock of crap as the lad knew his days were numbered from his very signing with what Matt said.

What did you think he didn't know he was going to be replaced before the meeting last night?.

You really only ever see things one way Steve & need to open your eyes & mind to how things can be.

I'm just surorused you think he should have been happy as it must have been hard for the lad to be anything else but miserable the way he has been treated.

Edited by Crazy robin
  • Like 6

What a surprise, but cannot find anyhing yet on Poole website or the twitter thingy.

No real surprise there. He has never recovered any form and looked over weight.

Of course its no surprise. This was predicted way back when the drafts were picked.

It was always a case of when not IF.

Shame you cant use Bates. :P

What an absolute crock of crap as the lad knew his days were numbered from his very signing with what Matt said.

What did you think he didn't know he was going to be replaced before the meeting last night?.

You really only ever see things one way Steve & need to open your eyes & mind to how things can be.

He wont.... when it comes to matters of all things Poole.

Steve,

As mentioned above, you can hardly blame his lack of enthusiasm having been sacked, can you? I'd hardly be motivated to perform on my last shift if I'd just been handed my P45.

My point was that I think he's been thrown out prematurely; and if this is going to become the norm for all clubs, then what hopes will this current system (that you told me you are an advocate of) aspire to - unless these guys are given sufficient time? Such actions are surely just counter-productive.

Just my view and honestly, it's not a cheap dig at Poole. I'd feel the same if Lakeside, or any other club for that matter, pulled the same stroke.

Should Clubs be allowed to replace EL reserves?

A choice of reserve made prior to the start of the season should mean that the rider must stay with that Club until the end of the season - barring injury. The reserves 'list' should be used for replacing injured riders only.

Using the reserves list to 'chop and change' riders is wrong. Clubs would have to chose riders who were right for their club. They would have to work at researching riders abilities, look up their riding histories, go and watch them...