British Speedway Forum

Pirates 2014

Today's Echo.

PIRATES are keen to use Chris Holder as cover for Darcy Ward after the Wimborne Road skipper broke his thumb in the New Zealand Grand Prix on Saturday.

Ward also sustained concussion and soft tissue damage in his left knee as he was wiped out by shock eventual champion Martin Smolinski in a heat 14 smash.

The timing of the incident at Western Springs could not have been much worse from a Pirates point of view as they are due to begin their defence of the Elite League against Eastbourne on Wednesday.

However, team manager Neil Middleditch is hopeful that Poole asset Holder can be drafted in having admitted he was “99 per cent certain” that Ward – who may need an operation – would not be fit.

Middleditch told the Daily Echo: “We’re trying to get the wheels in motion to get Chris to replace Darcy until he is back in the saddle.

“Using Chris would be a major bonus. It would keep stability and continuity in the team because everyone knows him and it would be like for like.”

Middleditch insisted no blame could be attached to Smolinski for his part in the incident that spelled the end of Ward’s meeting and briefly knocked him out.

He said: “It was just an unfortunate speedway accident and no one was to blame.

“I’m sure Martin feels as sorry about it as anybody. It’s just unfortunate that Darcy came off worse.

“We need to get him home see the extent of the injury and then take it from there.”

Blimey, it's all kicking off in here innit? People saying they're not just being anti-Poole but, come on, you know you are really. You love it.

So, what's the issue really here? Was Holder in Poole's declared 1-7? I don't think he was. I think Swindon and Poole just agreed that it made sense for Poole to use him in the Elite Shield. No problem there. Fine.

Ward is still number one I think. If he's injured, Poole can use a guest. No problem there. Fine.

If Poole can use Holder instead then that's better if he fits in. Much better than guests. Better for the sport. No problem there. Fine.

So, no problems then. So that's fine then. Glad we sorted that out.

• Like 2

IMO Holder will NOT be in the Poole side on Wednesday!! There will be a guest from one of the 4 other EL teams not riding!! :wink:

Grachan, assuming what is currently on the BSPA site is correct, then Holder was in the initial Poole 1-7! Not sure how long it takes for (re)declared teams to appear on the BSPA site.

Edited by Skidder1

Blimey, it's all kicking off in here innit? People saying they're not just being anti-Poole but, come on, you know you are really. You love it.

So, what's the issue really here? Was Holder in Poole's declared 1-7? I don't think he was. I think Swindon and Poole just agreed that it made sense for Poole to use him in the Elite Shield. No problem there. Fine.

Ward is still number one I think. If he's injured, Poole can use a guest. No problem there. Fine.

If Poole can use Holder instead then that's better if he fits in. Much better than guests. Better for the sport. No problem there. Fine.

So, no problems then. So that's fine then. Glad we sorted that out.

It doesn't matter what you think or don't think! Pooles team is there for all to see in black and white. Chris Holder is/was there declared Number 1 rider. It's quite simple.

If Holder is happy to ride then there shouldn't be a problem.

If a guest is used then there is a problem.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

Surprise surprise Poole are trying to get Holder to ride. They know the situation and realise if they don't get Holder they can't have a guest.

Poole could quite easily use Kildemand Zagar or Doyle who are all good enough but they aren't because the rules state they can't use them. Simples

The local paper reports that Middlo says Holder would be the best option - most Poole fans would agree with that and you would expect that to be said in order to maximise Wednesday's attendance!!!

However, Poole's latest BSPA declaration has Ward in the 1-7 and he rode against Lakeside last week in an official EL Challenge (not league) meeting.

Therefore, imo (and in the opinion of most sensible fans) a guest for Ward will be used!! See my post 2422.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

It doesn't matter what you think or don't think! Pooles team is there for all to see in black and white. Chris Holder is/was there declared Number 1 rider. It's quite simple.

If Holder is happy to ride then there shouldn't be a problem.

If a guest is used then there is a problem.

I didn't realise that it didn't matter what I think. Sorry about that. Thanks for putting me right on that score.

With regards to Holder being declared, I didn't realise they had actually declared him in their side. Even so, I THINK (I use those words because I don't want to come across as a know-it-all, as I can see how from other people's posts how bad that looks sometimes) that it is irrelevant.

Because the team declared on 4th April (that's last Friday which I THINK was before Saturday, when Ward got injured) has Darcy Ward at number one.

• Like 2

The local paper reports that Middlo says Holder would be the best option - most Poole fans would agree with that and you would expect that to be said in order to maximise Wednesday's attendance!!!

However, Poole's latest BSPA declaration has Ward in the 1-7 and he rode against Lakeside last week in an official EL Challenge (not league) meeting.

Therefore, imo (and in the opinion of most sensible fans) a guest for Ward will be used!! See my post 2422.

If it was an OFFICIAL EL challenge do you think Ward should have been in the declared 1 to 7 on the date of the meeting ?

• Like 1

I didn't realise that it didn't matter what I think. Sorry about that. Thanks for putting me right on that score.

With regards to Holder being declared, I didn't realise they had actually declared him in their side. Even so, I THINK (I use those words because I don't want to come across as a know-it-all, as I can see how from other people's posts how bad that looks sometimes) that it is irrelevant.

Because the team declared on 4th April (that's last Friday which I THINK was before Saturday, when Ward got injured) has Darcy Ward at number one.

Its not irrelevant. Darcy hasnt ridden in the el for poole since being declared in the line up. Thrrefore no facility is available for him

Its not irrelevant. Darcy hasnt ridden in the el for poole since being declared in the line up. Thrrefore no facility is available for him

Ah right. Just as well they're trying to get Chris holder then.

All these people running around like headless chickens because Poole can use a guest LOL!

How fair would it boe if Poole had to use a 3 pointer because Herman the German poleaxed him down under?

Jeses some people are so anti Poole it's unbelievable! And trying to hide behind some minor rule about this or that is none sense. Even if such a rule existed it would be over ruled by common sense on this occasion.

Nothing to see here. Please move along.

(Now expecting the usual anti Poole numpties to drag it on for god knows how many more pages)

End of the day Wednesday doesn't matter too much anyway, because baring serious injury to the majority of the team Poole will be in the playoffs regardless.

If Pirates had to run with a three pointer I would still fancy our chances.

• Like 2

The rules are clear enough:-

16.5.3 No facility is permitted to replace a Rider, who although included in a Re-declaration has not made an appearance for that Team since being re-declared.

The MC have the power to over-ride the rule but if they do that for Poole why not do it for everybody else and if they do it for everybody what's the point of having rule in the first place ?

What happened in a challenge match is neither here nor there. The rules apply to league matches.

• Like 5

IMO Holder will NOT be in the Poole side on Wednesday!! There will be a guest from one of the 4 other EL teams not riding!! :wink:

Grachan, assuming what is currently on the BSPA site is correct, then Holder was in the initial Poole 1-7! Not sure how long it takes for (re)declared teams to appear on the BSPA site.

Craig Cook confirmed as a guest on Wednesday- as some already stated. As Darcy rode against Lakeside in the official Challenge meeting, then presumably that was their official 1-7 then, even if it took a while to appear as 'updated on the BSPA website'! :t:

The rules are clear enough:-

16.5.3 No facility is permitted to replace a Rider, who although included in a Re-declaration has not made an appearance for that Team since being re-declared.

The MC have the power to over-ride the rule but if they do that for Poole why not do it for everybody else and if they do it for everybody what's the point of having rule in the first place ?

What happened in a challenge match is neither here nor there. The rules apply to league matches.

The rule appears in section 16 for 'Fixtures,Match Averages and General Rules' and applies to 'official' meetings, not specifically Elite League meetings for which Section 17 applies, so as Darcy rode against Lakeside then he must have been in Poole's 1-7 at that time, even if it took a few days to be updated on the BSPA website.

Edited by Skidder1

Craig Cook confirmed as a guest on Wednesday- as some already stated. As Darcy rode against Lakeside in the official Challenge meeting, then presumably that was their official 1-7 then, even if it took a while to appear as 'updated on the BSPA website'! :t:

The rule applies to 'official' meetings, not just League meetings, so as Darcy rode against Lakeside then he must have been in Poole's 1-7 at that time, even if it took a few days to be updated on the BSPA website.

So where is the missing "green sheet" for holder being re-introduced to ride at Swindon the following evening(27th ). think you are digging a big hole here !!!

You are correct, it doesn't matter what you 'think'. That has already been established, as what you 'thought' was incorrect. i.e. you didn't know that Holder was in there declared 1-7. It helps to have some knowledge on a subject before chastising others who have taken the time to obtain that knowledge.

The meeting you refer to was a challenge meeting.

Tai Woffinden rode for Kings Lynn in a Challenge meeting, do you 'think' he was in there declared team too?

As it turns out, once again Poole are being allowed to break the rules and once again we have ANOTHER corrupt season of Elite League Speedway and once again more fans will simply abandon the sport.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1