British Speedway Forum

Pirates 2014

If they want it to FL standard then a speedway track wont be around a pitch, I believe FL rules say it isnt allowed.

Your telling us something we already know. 3 into 2 won't go.

Why can't they just ground share with Bournemouth?

Can you honestly see that happening? I think Eddie Mitchell is a little determined. For some reason, he seems hell bent in taking the football club back to the stadium.

No. He doesn't seem that popular at Bournemouth! Wouldn't trust anything he says tbh.

Well the problem is as i see it. To accomodate all three sports in one stadium, you will have to knock the stadium down and completely re-build it. Now the question has to be asked, how narrow would our track be?, and once speedway ceesed for re- development would speedway get back into the stadium given the noise nimbies nowadays? i would gurrantee there would be strong objections. Then unless something is signed to say speedway will be part of the re-construction, i wouldn't trust Mitchell with a 100 foot barge poll. As ive said before, at this moment in time 3 into 2 won't go.

• Like 1

New statements coming out today in the local paper and on the Poole website from all concerned including Matt Ford, Stadia UK, the local business organisations and local Councillors.

It seems to me they will be looking at whether they can enlarge/improve the existing stadium to take all 3 sports - and the Council do still want ALL 3 sports as a minimum! - OR

whether a new 'Multi-Purpose Sports Arena' can be built and financed on the site?!

For those wanting much better all-round facilities, then the latter seems the better longer term option.

Edited by Skidder1

New statements coming out today in the local paper and on the Poole website from all concerned including Matt Ford, Stadia UK, the local business organisations and local Councillors.

It seems to me they will be looking at whether they can enlarge/improve the existing stadium to take all 3 sports - and the Council do still want ALL 3 sports as a minimum! - OR

whether a new 'Multi-Purpose Sports Arena' can be built and financed on the site?!

For those wanting much better all-round facilities, then the latter seems the better longer term option.

A new stadium is the best option, as ive said before, you can't get 3 into 2 at poole stadium. Just can't be done.

But the likelyhood of re- building the stadium on the present site is unlikely, as there's not the room.

You have the goods yard behind the new grandstand, you haver minimal space behind the old grandstand, and the whole place is raised, so you would have to completely knock is down, level it off and start again.

Can you see that happening?

Edited by Starman2006

A new stadium is the best option, as ive said before, you can't get 3 into 2 at poole stadium. Just can't be done.

But the likelyhood of re- building the stadium on the present site is unlikely, as there's not the room.

You have the goods yard behind the new grandstand, you haver minimal space behind the old grandstand, and the whole place is raised, so you would have to completely knock is down, level it off and start again.

Can you see that happening?

A bit of imagination and the right funding? Yes.

Multi storey car parking would free up a lot of the existing parking space. Covered grandstands for seating or standing on at least 3 sides would contain a lot more of the noise! Hotel, apartments, restaurants, clubhouse, hospitality, offices etc can be built upwards rather than all at ground level! :t:

I think the Poole fans need to pressurise Poole Council to ensure the continuance of speedway. Poole speedway must attract much bigger crowds than the football in Poole. I would imagine that the majority of football fans in Poole go to Bournemouth for their football fix. When the initial plans to re-develop the stadium at Blunsdon were announced, there was no plan for a speedway track. However, following an outcry from the supporters & the local press, supporters turning up in force at local council planning meetings, things changed, Justin Tomlinson, the local councillor for the area, initially anti-speedway at the new stadium did a complete u-turn & suddenly became a speedway supporter after the outcry. He is now the Tory MP for that area, so people power can work!

• Like 1

We really don't have a fear at losing to the speedway in Poole as it is bar far the biggest sport in the area bar AFC Bournemouth. The attendance of the last Poole FC match was 280. Of course a new stadium and promotion would increase that figure but the speedway is well supported at council level as it brings in fame and fans to the town center. It is certainly not a frowns upon sport in Dorset.

Of course that must not lead to complacency.

The Wimborne Road stadium is in desperate need of a makeover and if it means grounds haring with the football club then so be it. There's unlikely to be any fixture clashes and a nice new grandstand and state of the sort facilities similar to those experienced at AFC Bournemouth would no doubt increase the attendance at the speedway as families can enjoy a night. Out in a clean and decent environment.

We will have to watch what develops over the coming months.

• Like 2