British Speedway Forum

Sheffield For Sale

British speedway without SHEFFIELD TIGERS,unthinkable!

Machin did ask for a message to be passed on via the Sheffield facebook forum to say that he is selling the club, not closing it, so hopefully the unthinkable won't happen

Edited by Cue Ball

• 3 weeks later...

Sheffield Eagles RL team are rumoured to be moving in at Owlerton following the demise of DVS and the university withdrawing from a deal to let them play at their facilities.

Which might be good news, stadium-viability wise? I recall being at Owlerton when there were rugby posts on the grass, if they played rugby then alongside speedway, is there a problem?

How about this one: Airey, Haley, Larsson, Kitchen, Wyer, Wilson, Valentine.

Which means nothing on a thread dedicated to the sale of the club.

Edited by Boobs

The Lights for the centre green have been removed, so any game finishing near or after sundown could have a problem. There is a concrete strip alongside the home straight which would mean the pitch is too narrow. I believe I heard somewhere they are looking at putting in a number of seats for rugby league spectators. Not sure where these would go. Hope it is not on the home straight as that is where I like to stand for speedway.

Sheffield Eagles RL team are rumoured to be moving in at Owlerton following the demise of DVS and the university withdrawing from a deal to let them play at their facilities.

What sort of attendances do Sheffield Eagles get for their matches? How do they compare with the two motor sport disciplines at Owlerton - speedway and the stock cars? I take it that if Eagles do base there it will only be for first team matches?

Edited by Guest

What a shame it would be to lose another speedway club. I can't see this happening though as it sounds like there are interested parties out there that want to take over the running of the club. And what a great stadium it is.

There have been to many clubs go under over the years and far to many clubs being lost either through financil problems or owners of the land whre the stadium is having it taken away from them for building houses. I can think of quite a few. Long Eaton who lost their stadium but have come back and now race at Leiceter Lions track poor weymouth who have not lost their stadium once but twice and are still looking for somewhere to go. The list could carry on with the likes of Cradley Heath etc etc.

Lets hops that Sheffield are not one to add to this list.

Get the City behind you to save this great Venue. Thats if they are interested in doing so. Most don't seem to bother. It is just a speeway track is the way they think why should we bother. Put without it they will lose a great asset to the city.

I follow Leicter Lions and was great when they came back 2 years ago. You can't keep a good club down. Just like a Pheonix, Sheffield will rise from the ashes and go on to great things. Just hope that they don't ruin a good club

Just a thought, but do new promoters get a vote at the conference?

Not unless they have been promoters before. I think any new promoters have to wait 3 years before they can vote at the AGM's.

Edited by The Abbott