British Speedway Forum

Sheffield For Sale

Just lots of the usual rumours flying round and they aren't anything to do with speedway, unless they are gonna ride on a running track!!!

Sure I remember in the dim and distant past being told that there is something in the stadium deeds or a covenant that says there has to be a speedway track and they can't get rid. Even if true there will no doubt be a way round it though

Look up the accounts of the parent company Classtrend Limited and see what value you would put on it as things stand, however you'd need to understand how much of the revenue is taken out by Neil Machin as 'salary' for himself to get a true assessment of whether it's a profitable business. My sense is that it is, although to what extent is debatable. However you then need to add the cost of an air-fence and probable re-negotiation of stadium lease, speedway licence, etc,. etc.. so I'm really not sure how much it's worth. Anyhow, all that aside let's wish Neil all the best and thank him (and the late Tim Lucking) for saving the club from oblivion 20+ years ago.

Is do not think Mr Machin ran Sheffield for 20years for his health. Of course he made a profit and paid himself a salary. He would have gone a long time ago if that was not the case. Mr Machin can se what is happening in speedway in the uk. If sky pull the plug, the air fence issue, will there be one league, will there be any gp rider's in the uk, rider's pay it goes on and on. I believe a lot of promoters will be looking over there shoulder's waiting to se what happens. Imo Mr Machin is he getting out before the sh-t hits the fan. The close season will be very interesting. I hope I am totally wrong but it's a very worrying time for speedway in the uk.

I would imagine that Sheffield is one of the last clubs to disappear. I obviously there going to be some sorry, it's natural but Id be amazed if Sheffield are not around next season. They must be one of the best/few viable business/clubs in speedway.

I think this decision by mr machin has been coming for a while now.He has done a great job keeping speedway at Sheffield for so long but you can see what his opinions are and you cant really argue with him.The sky money has gone to a few promotors and not been shared around the clubs.The rules are a joke and are changed to suit the same teams who manipulate them to suit their needs.How can the sport be taken seriously ? I know we all come on here and have a moan but some of the team selections for the last couple of years have been poor.Good luck to neil on selling it to the right person who has ambition and provides us with a successful team next season and thanks for saving the club and giving us some great nights of racing at owlerton over the last 20 years.

• Like 2

Been coming for a long time this. Neil spends the Winter in Oz every year and always had plans to settle there some year. Surprised he is making this decision now, but can understand his decision given the points already made. It was always going to happen, que Tony Mole.

I think a lot of fans will see where Neil Machin is coming from,he has done a good job at Sheffield over the years and has ran it as a business not just throwing money at riders for the sake of it.Disalusioned is the right word for his sale ,he makes a lot of valid points in this weeks Speedway Star.he has always been an approachable guy and gives straight answers(whether they are what you want to hear or not) Wish him well in the future whatever he does.

• Like 1

Sure I remember in the dim and distant past being told that there is something in the stadium deeds or a covenant that says there has to be a speedway track and they can't get rid. Even if true there will no doubt be a way round it though

The bikes could go but legal pundits could argue that stock car racing (i.e motor sport) meets that criteria. They may argue what the actual definition of speedway is - in New Zealand for example its any sport that competes on what is termed a small oval track.