British Speedway Forum

Swindon V Poole El Semi Final Play Off 1st Leg 23/9/13

Rosco said before the match that last year when we faced Brum away in the semi first, because we did so well in the away leg, the return home leg had a poorer crowd than expected because everyone knew it would be a non event. So they're negating the chance of that happening this year by going at home first.

That's a brave decision and some big assumptions to make... I would have thought the poorer crowd would have been more to do with the pi55 poor weather we constantly had last year.

But it could be a good decision tactically, hopefully whatever lead we have from the first leg, we can then defend down at Poole, rather than chasing a target at home. Though with Pooles agregate win over us in August....they surely must go in to this as massive favourites...

It'll be an expensive few days with the footy that's for sure, although I'll save a few quid watching the Poole leg from the hospital car park. Don't want Ford seeing any of my cash.

Rosco said before the match that last year when we faced Brum away in the semi first, because we did so well in the away leg, the return home leg had a poorer crowd than expected because everyone knew it would be a non event. So they're negating the chance of that happening this year by going at home first.

That's a brave decision and some big assumptions to make... I would have thought the poorer crowd would have been more to do with the pi55 poor weather we constantly had last year.

But it could be a good decision tactically, hopefully whatever lead we have from the first leg, we can then defend down at Poole, rather than chasing a target at home. Though with Pooles agregate win over us in August....they surely must go in to this as massive favourites...

It'll be an expensive few days with the footy that's for sure, although I'll save a few quid watching the Poole leg from the hospital car park. Don't want Ford seeing any of my cash.

You must have good eyesight to see inside Poole stadium from Poole Hospital car park about a mile or so up the road??.......I think you mean from the Barclays Bank car park!! :t:

Will be a small crowd with Swindon Town playing Bristol City on the sat and Then Chelski on the Tuesday I never seen anyone with the choice take the home leg first this is total madness. What was the point of making a big deal of takeing on Poole for a big crowd and the money and then doing this ?

If it's been done for anything other than speedway reasons tend to agree. However will point you towards the 2009 final. It can work :D

Edited by Wolfsbane

I've said all-along that I can't see any team beating this Swindon line-up but the Poole team could well give them a run for their money and over two legs, it could all blow up in Rosco's face because the pressure is now firmly on Swindon next Monday.

After the season of injuries we have endured, we ( Poole ) are just grateful that we have actually made the play-offs and now we have nothing to lose. So lets get it on and as always, may the best team win and hopefully, that will be Poole Speedway!

Up The Poole Pirates.

• Like 1

Surprised Swindon have given up the chance of progressing through to the final in front of their own fans but I am guessing it will be a huge crowd next Monday at Blunsdon for the first leg.

Swindon start as clear favourites for this one and the title but Pirates will be no pushovers and it could be quite close over the two legs.

I think the winner of this semi will go on to be crowned the Champions.

Come on Pirates, we have nothing to lose and everything to gain. If we get knocked out it will be expected, but to battle past Swindon will be joyous considering the season we have had this year.

Bring it on! We can do this! Our boys are up for it and on good form!

Up the Pirates!!

Lets hope Swindon put it right up the Pirates and justice will be served
  • Like 1

Swindon handing Pirates the second leg is the equivalent of Poole finishing second in the league. They have handed Poole the inside gate in the GP Final ala Gollob with Hampel. Poole will know exactly what is required of them now on our own patch with our fans behind us.

As massive task regardless but one that can be done. We have to hold them to 6-8 points at Blunsdon to stand a chance though. We can do that but THJ and Magic need to stand up and be counted.

A great semi to look forward to. And we have nothing to lose and everything to gain. All the pressure is on Swindon.

Bring it on. Up The Pirates!

• Like 2

I am really looking forward to Monday it will be close and may the best team win.I am glad we are at home first i think it is easier to defend a lead rather than chase one.Kildemand and Morris are the two key riders for us in my opinion,and if our reserves can get between 6 and 8 points between them that might sway it,The reserves if they can chip in maybe get the odd heat advantage that could push us on.

The good thing about this tie is that even if Poole beat us on Monday at home its not all over. I could see us going there and winning. Wouldn't be surprised if this goes down to heat 14 or 15 of the 2nd leg but I think we will do it. The Poole team has far too many last places in them but this is obviously made up for by a strong top 2. Got all the makings of a classic!

I don't want to predict this one, but I will pick up a nice lump of money (filthy lucre) should Poole win.Needless to say I will be much happier if they lose, even if it means little more than bragging rights for the winter......Not to mention sticking it up Matt Ford! :lol:

I think that riding away second could actually be a benefit to our chances of progressing to the final.

If we win by say 8 points at home, which I would expect, then if Poole manage to get 10 up on the night in the second leg, and 2 on aggregate then we can bang in a tactical to get us back in front overall.

That said, running a home meeting two days after STFC v B*****l City and the night before the Chelsea game is financial suicide.

People are put off from attending anyway as these semi-finals are long drawn out affairs due to Sky jumping from track to track and dictating when each heat can start and as many Robins fans are also Swindon Town fans a lot will rather choose to spend their cash on the footy rather than the 1st leg at the speedway.

Also parents who are taking their saucepans to the Chelsea game are unlikely to take them to the speedway the night before giving two late nights when they are at school.

Edited by Adder

And so seven days of mindgames, spin and propaganda begins :D

Swindon obviously feel that they can win the tie in the first leg but I can't see them pulling out too much of a lead really, Poole have top end power for TR's and lively reserves. Fancy Swindon over two legs but only just, think it will be very tight and could be decided by an EF or a dodgy ref call. Less hope the good guys get the fortune!

A bit disrespectful for people to say the winner of this semi will win the whole thing, Brum won the league and are at full strength after all.

Edited by Bagpuss