British Speedway Forum

Swindon V Poole El Semi Final Play Off 1st Leg 23/9/13

I think that riding away second could actually be a benefit to our chances of progressing to the final.

If we win by say 8 points at home, which I would expect, then if Poole manage to get 10 up on the night in the second leg, and 2 on aggregate then we can bang in a tactical to get us back in front overall.

That said, running a home meeting two days after STFC v B*****l City and the night before the Chelsea game is financial suicide.

People are put off from attending anyway as these semi-finals are long drawn out affairs due to Sky jumping from track to track and dictating when each heat can start and as many Robins fans are also Swindon Town fans a lot will rather choose to spend their cash on the footy rather than the 1st leg at the speedway.

Also parents who are taking their saucepans to the Chelsea game are unlikely to take them to the speedway the night before giving two late nights when they are at school.

Its Sausepan Lids Adder.. :rofl: Still quite suprised that Rosco has called it this way. Still ho hum..

.......Adder...........

If we win by say 8 points at home, which I would expect, then if Poole manage to get 10 up on the night in the second leg, and 2 on aggregate then we can bang in a tactical to get us back in front overall.

Although I don't really mind tactical rides I do hate to see them used in the semi and final of the play offs when the overall result depends on the scores from two legs. It just doesn't seem fair that one team could get that advantage but the other doesn't get chance. Hopefully they won't be used at all.

• Like 2

Riding away in the 2nd leg is the sensible thing to do.

It does makes sense from a tactical POV. If you win the home leg by say 14, you know then that if you go 10 down that you don't have to panic into using a TR, you can wait until the next heat. You can use your worse R/R earlier knowing you have something to fall back on. I'd want the away leg second from a tactical POV. BUT I'd want to win the play-offs at home, so with the final I might change things around. There also the fact if you win the first leg, you're not going to get many turn up for the 2nd leg, unless it's to see a team win the title.

Really not sure why people think Swindon have this wrong.

The sooner, the better, absolutely "Farcical" in a play off situation whichever team is winning!!!

I quite enjoyed them in 2009. Especially Zagar and Skornicki's TR's :)

It does makes sense from a tactical POV. If you win the home leg by say 14, you know then that if you go 10 down that you don't have to panic into using a TR, you can wait until the next heat. You can use your worse R/R earlier knowing you have something to fall back on. I'd want the away leg second from a tactical POV. BUT I'd want to win the play-offs at home, so with the final I might change things around. There also the fact if you win the first leg, you're not going to get many turn up for the 2nd leg, unless it's to see a team win the title.

I see where you are coming from about winning the title at home.. but there's something special about clinching it away from home too :)

Especially if a team clinched it at Poole :)

• Like 1

I see where you are coming from about winning the title at home.. but there's something special about clinching it away from home too :)

Especially if a team clinched it at Poole :)

I agree. From a fans POV, not a lot in it but if I was a promoter, I'd want the second leg for the crowd.

Teams winning the play-offs at Poole? Surely not? :D

Personally i think it is much better to have the 2nd leg at home, having the crowd behind you for those vital last heats is crucial and there shouldn't be rider replacement as no riders are injured currently.

I expect both meetings to be very close and don't expect tactical substitutions to come in to it but if they do people shouldn't complain that one team only won because of a tactical because that is the rules as long as we don't have the farce of riders giving up points so they can use it to their advantage.

We know what sort of 'stuff' that is, Middlo told us all youngsters down there are on it...

And what "stuff" would that be, please enlighten us all??

You would be better off asking Darcy that one...

Noticed you avoided my question.Why should i, Darcy has nothing to hide.

So how comes every team in the plays offs have never done it before ? is it new great tactic that only Rosco has just thought of ..my point is that Rosco said weeks ago that they would be at home on this day ...this date in the middle of two massive footie matches has nowt to do with tactics . How many play off matches has Rosco been in before and never done it ?

So how comes every team in the plays offs have never done it before ? is it new great tactic that only Rosco has just thought of ..my point is that Rosco said weeks ago that they would be at home on this day ...this date in the middle of two massive footie matches has nowt to do with tactics . How many play off matches has Rosco been in before and never done it ?

TBF, just because someone is usually done doesn't make it right. Teams usually put R/R at number 2 even when it's their number 2 out, meaning the number 1 has to be R/R in heat 8. I just don't get it!