British Speedway Forum

Wolves V Birmingham Play Off Semi 1st Leg - 23rd September

After thoroughly deserving to top the table I'm convinced, at least in my own mind and yes I realise I'll probably be in a minority of 1, that Brum have got this wrong. The facts, based on the 4 regular league matches, don't support this but the play offs do tend to be a different gravy and I've just got a feeling that if Wolves can do enough in the 1st leg, 12-14 points for instance, that Birmingham will start to feel the pressure and to be honest if we can't defend that kind of advantage with 2 TRs to fall back on then we won't deserve to progress. What's needed now is for all the guys to get to next Monday uninjured, Tai to achieve his personal goal and the weather to play ball. It's pretty nailed on that Klindt will guest for Jacob, hope for his sake as well as ours, he does a decent job. Let battle commence :P

Edited by Wolfsbane

After thoroughly deserving to top the table I'm convinced, at least in my own mind and yes I realise I'll probably be in a minority of 1, that Brum have got this wrong. The facts, based on the 4 regular league matches, don't support this but the play offs do tend to be a different gravy and I've just got a feeling that if Wolves can do enough in the 1st leg, 12-14 points for instance, that Birmingham will start to feel the pressure and to be honest if we can't defend that kind of advantage with 2 TRs to fall back on then we won't deserve to progress. What's needed now is for all the guys to get to next Monday uninjured, Tai to achieve his personal goal and the weather to play ball. It's pretty nailed on that Klindt will guest for Jacob, hope for his sake as well as ours, he does a decent job. Let battle commence :P

I cant see Wolves winning by 14pts no way, it will be very close Thorssell at home i believe is a massive loss.A close home win with the Brum winning the second leg and going through to the final.
  • Like 3

I'd give Pontus a go, looked decent lastnight. As for the Brummies choosing Wolves; makes financial sense to race the semi vs Wolves. It'll be like a final likewise the other Semi. We need Bob to find some form akin to a 5pt rider and all round solid display from Adam, Ludde and Whoever Guests. Then we need something special from Ricky, Fred & Tai.

Pontus rode well last night. Nic was good when he gated, poor at the back (about par) but overall far better than earlier in the year.

I wouldn't be averse to Pontus for the home leg, Klindt for the away, but suspect they'll go with continuity and book Klindt for both.

If Ricky Wells can take last nights form into next week it could give Wolves the edge.

Have Birmingham made the right call going for a big crowd v Wolves in the semi? Traditionally the semi gates aren't anywhere near as big as those for the final. Maybe as its a local derby that will be different.

I am so pumped for next week now, love the play offs. Team speedway in front of a big crowd with a tense atmosphere, it gets no better! Bring it on!

• Like 2

Do T/R's come into play when 10 behind on the night or on aggregate ?.

If it's on the night then that rule needs changing for a play off situation, it can't be right Wolves could potentially use a T/R when 10 down at Perry Barr, but only 2 down on aggregate.

Have Birmingham made the right call going for a big crowd v Wolves in the semi? Traditionally the semi gates aren't anywhere near as big as those for the final. Maybe as its a local derby that will be different.

Yes it's the right call, your taking quite the big gamble hoping Wolves would see off Swindon or Poole in the other semi otherwise.

Hoping for a Swindon v Wolves final and a chance of revenge for the other year ...I think these semi final matches look the best since the start of the play offs and both could be close rather than the walk overs we have tended to see over the years . Just need the weather to play ball now .

Edited by orion
  • Like 3

If it's on the night then that rule needs changing for a play off situation, it can't be right Wolves could potentially use a T/R when 10 down at Perry Barr, but only 2 down on aggregate.

Yes they can be used and no they won't be changed. They are the rules as per the start of the season.

I agree that there is a good argument they are not necessary in 2 legged play off matches, however, any change like that should be made before team building commences.

• Like 2

Pontus rode well last night. Nic was good when he gated, poor at the back (about par) but overall far better than earlier in the year.

I wouldn't be averse to Pontus for the home leg, Klindt for the away, but suspect they'll go with continuity and book Klindt for both.

If Ricky Wells can take last nights form into next week it could give Wolves the edge.

I am so pumped for next week now, love the play offs. Team speedway in front of a big crowd with a tense atmosphere, it gets no better! Bring it on!

Couldnt have said it any better. I have a worry with any guest for Jacob as they are unlikely to be able to score what he was doing.

Instinct says Klindt for both meetings as guest.

Hoping for a Swindon v Wolves final and a chance of revenge for the other year ...

That would be perfect.............................................. well with the same result of course.

10 behind on the night which is usually why a team likes to ride at home first. Get a 12+ lead and then defend it using a TR at the right time ..... bit like Skornicki did at Swindon :party:

Brummies have gone for the money match because if they make the final they will have two massive gates. Also fair play to Birmingham (Swindon/Poole) for agreeing to Wolves riding at home in the first leg incase Tai settles the World Title on Saturday.

At the start of the season, we hoped that with a strong top two and some potential lower order riders we could make the play offs ...... but it's remarkable to think Britain could be showing off the WORLD CHAMPION in less than a week

• Like 1

The form, or lack of it, from Miskowiak is a big concern. With Proctor and Thorsell in the side I wouldhave been quietly confidant but without them........................................ Small home win for Wolves and an aggregate win for the Brummies. Whatever happens don't want Poole to win it!

• Like 2