British Speedway Forum

Smooth And Stylish

TheReturn

Why is it any rider that is leading a race is always described 'smooth and stylish' on Sky?

Speedway riders are renowned for their usage of moisturizer. Riding through wind and shale can be very damaging to a riders skin and if not addressed early could lead to a severe case of dry skin. For that reason riders will often apply moisturizer directly to their face, forehand, hands and forearms prior to each and every race. For this reason riders have skin smoother than most women. In fact I recall a certain Polish rider who would bathe in moisturizer prior to every meeting.

As for stylish, speedway riders have an expensive taste in clothing. It is rare that a rider would be seen off the track in anything less than an Armani suit. Often riders are photographed leaving some of the top fashion offices in the world trialing styles from the big names themselves.

Hope this clears up your confusion with 'smooth and stylish'. ;)

• Like 6

Can't argue with those 2 Sidney, I'd have to add Anders Michanek though, in fact Anders epitomised smooth/stylish, he had it all.

Would have to think NW, Tommy Jansson would have to be added to any list he and Anders were both stylists and they were a great partnership.Going back further i never see him ride but my uncle told me Gote Nordin was a stylish rider to. Edited by sidney

He looks like Plug from the Bash Street Kids.

KKS won't know what the Beano is E I Addio... ;)

Ole Olsen was very smooth as was Ivan Mauger. Martin Ashby also had a relaxed, neat style.

KKS won't know what the Beano is E I Addio... ;)

Ole Olsen was very smooth as was Ivan Mauger. Martin Ashby also had a relaxed, neat style.

And a more up to date contemporary rider has to be Peter Karlsson. Great to watch and super smooth.

Leigh Adams - I remember I was riding at Exeter press and practise day when he very first came over and was staying with Neil street I think. He was riding a godden and had rubbishty black leathers lol but when he got on the track he simply flew and your first visit to Exeter isn't easy. Them 4 laps I saw him do they and he was so smooth made me realise I wasn't going to make it at speedway lol. A legend that man is

The one and only Motor Carr in full flight... that was stylish...

Leigh Adams though is the one that springs to mind... always seemed to be sitting in his armchair yards ahead of anyone else...