British Speedway Forum

Ipswich 2014

Well he also mentions how they suddenly lost focus at the most important time of the season. Doesn't sound anything like looking for riders in the elite league. For one thing even if it did, i doubt very much you would see Hampel over here. Nicholls and King, tried that before and didn't work, and Nicholls isn't as good now as he was then. That's what scares me about ever going back into the top league, back to the same old riders that failed over and over again before.

Well he also mentions how they suddenly lost focus at the most important time of the season. Doesn't sound anything like looking for riders in the elite league. For one thing even if it did, i doubt very much you would see Hampel over here. Nicholls and King, tried that before and didn't work, and Nicholls isn't as good now as he was then. That's what scares me about ever going back into the top league, back to the same old riders that failed over and over again before.

agree to an extent. But perhaps, or probably, Louis also recognises this?

Lindgren at Wolves has had a tough year, and is looking for a change. Maybe he would be a good signing? With maybe Nicholls and Sundstrom as back up?

Lots of possibilities.

I do however, agree with others that more local meetings with Lynn, Lakeside, Peterborough and Eastie would be a shot in the arm for us.

A good Friday with Lynn alone would bring in far more supporters than we've seen for many a year.

If we did go back into top flight some one like Lindgren is a must, a different rider to our track. Not the same old rubbish we used to get dished up year after year. Are people willing to pay 17 or 18 quid though. I also agree it would be great to race against our local rivals again, but there needs to be at least 13 or 14 teams in the top flight otherwise there will be huge gaps in between meetings as there was before.

So if we did rejoin along with Leicester thats 12. Sheffield up for sale so anything could happen with that one.

The numbers could stack up for a mid April (NZ GP 5th April) to end September season once home and away plus a cup comp.

So a fair bit of talk about the top league, are we really thinking it's time and it's very possible?

The time could be right given the likely recalibration of the cost structure and the 'top league' seemingly needing more teams to make it work.

Im sure we would still need a big injection of sponsorship to do it though. Perhaps this is the change Chris is talking about.

Personally Id be quite happy to stay as is unless we can be sure of being competitive.

Edited by dontforgetthefueltapsbruv
  • Like 1

If the best rider you can get to ride in the 16 Lapper is Doyley, how are we going to attract a certain Mr F Lindgren to ride here for the whole season? Most of what I've read over the past couple of pages is surely just in dreamland..........can we introduce drug testing on here?

If the best rider you can get to ride in the 16 Lapper is Doyley, how are we going to attract a certain Mr F Lindgren to ride here for the whole season? Most of what I've read over the past couple of pages is surely just in dreamland..........can we introduce drug testing on here?

Im sure drug testing is necessary as quite a few seem to be on something , and not just this thread either !

To be fair though the 16 lapper included top riders when we were in the top league and better prizes/prize money was on offer , doing it in the PL the overall standard is bound to be of a lower level .

I like many would love to see us back in the top league of British Speedway but only when the time is right and it's financially viable , I somehow don't think that will be decided until the Sky money issue is resolved .

Dreamland? You make it sound as if it's a massive jump up that is far beyond us, and the likes of Lindgren is a quality of rider we've never seen at Foxhall before.

A couple of seasons in the PL seems to have eradicated the top flight memories of some it seems.

It's a given that IF Louis decided the time was right to return, then he would have to put together a team more competitive than the last couple of seasons in the top flight.

If he didn't think he had the finance to do that, then we'll stay exactly where we are it's as simple as that.

If the overall cost of running an Elite league team is drastically reduced as some are predicting, then perhaps it will be more manageable and appealing to the promotion.

What isn't up for debate, is that the clubs in the top flight make far more appealing opposition to Ipswich in terms of local rivalry, than those in the PL.

• Like 1

I'm lucky enough to get to half a dozen SGP's most years as well as Witches home skids and quite a few away jobbies. The difference between a Grand Prix riders skill, kit, back-up and finances are light years away from even the best PL riders, so I would make the argument that so is this dream of getting back in the EL, as that differential is the same. If there was no Sky money, I really cant see any topflight riders bothering over here if the money is not there.

• Like 1

So think that's exactly why people think it's time to move back up, without the top riders bothering it makes the huge jump back up a lot smaller. Personally I don't mind what league we are in as long as we are running and can be competitive. Ditch certain riders and we can be.

Plus moving back up to the Elite League again would at least half the travelling costs around the Uk for riders and even spectators. We all know in the Elite League we would have near local derbies with King's Lynn , Peterborough,Arena Essex. How many people can name the 2 nearest Premier League after Rye House.

Conversely the longest trip for Ipswich in the EL is to Belle Vue. Yet the majority of the PL teams are further away than Manchester. Then multiply that by 7 riders and that if one hellava lot of money during a season.

Depends on the M25 roadwork's........can do Poole quicker than Manchester with no hold ups. Guess you could be right about PL closest two, followed by Burnham and Sheffield? Can see your point about possible move up, if superstars were absent it would make the jump less expensive, a good point, well made :t: