British Speedway Forum

Ipswich 2014

Ipswich must be the most frustrating team in the PL, on paper the 1-7 they have look as good as anything else in the league, but they are so inconsistent.

TBF to the Ipswich promotion, they've put together very good sides on paper in every season we've been in the PL, I've been very happy with all of them.

But for whatever reason, every year so far we've underperformed and not done as well as we should have.

Too early to include this years in that though, as we're still in the KOC and I'm convinced we'll be in the top 6 so this season could still be a success.

With our consistency though, it's not like match after match, it's win a few and look good on the trot, the for no reason, look woeful and lose a few on the trot. So let's look on the bright side, the next few should be good, and with only one away meeting in the next 4 I think it is, all should look roses again. Just goes to prove, nothing is won on paper.

I think Chris Louis stepping down as team manager qualifies to be on this thread rather than an individual meeting one so let's take it up from here then .

It wasn't a change I was expecting that's for sure and he obviously feels he's not getting the best out of the team ! As he said in his statement it will give him more time to work with individuals which im site can only be a good thing .

Lets hope the change will give the riders a different type of leadership and provide the motivation for us to kick on and comfortably make the playoffs .

Here's hoping ( as always )

Edited by Super Blue

Very unexpected.

A bold move from Louis. It would be been easier to just carry on.

This will open up a chance for those that like to have pop at him that its an admission that its his fault.

Lets hope the shake up has the desired effect.

It's not his fault how other riders ride. The only thing I find strange is you would think that an ex rider of Louis class would know exactly what riders need to help them through the night. If giving in the team managers role helps us, then his decision can only be applauded. Maybe Chris is just too nice and person for that role.

Edited by Baldyman
  • Like 1

It's not his fault how other riders ride. The only thing I find strange is you would think that an ex rider of Louis class would know exactly what riders need to help them through the night. If giving in the team managers role helps us, then his decision can only be applauded. Maybe Chris is just too nice and person for that role.

Agree with that, certainly the last bit, a few times he hasn't taken a rider out when he might have done, but his decisions never affected a result. Too much is made about the managers role in speedway, they say Pete Adams is a great manager when Wolves win the league, but they dont call him crap when they finish bottom. Switch the odd reserve, pick 2 riders for heat 15, and chuck in a double when needed. As for the motivational thing, i dont see it, no points = no money, that should be all the motivation a rider needs, especially when half of our team dont have any other income, to the best of my knowledge.

“I don’t think the team, individually, were prepared well enough for varying reasons...."

A very good point. Certainly not ideal that a rider would take an individual booking in German the day before a 3 meeting in 3 days northern tour.

Also not ideal that one of the team's more professional riders should embark on the same 3 meeting tour, scheduled weeks in adavance, with no mechanic.

[quote name="TheSpecialOne" post="2471902"

Also not ideal that one of the team's more professional riders should embark on the same 3 meeting tour, scheduled weeks in adavance, with no mechanic.

The trouble is the vast majority of those who help as pit crew have jobs themselves and simply cant commit to a tour of that type.

The trouble is the vast majority of those who help as pit crew have jobs themselves and simply cant commit to a tour of that type.

Having experienced that personally first hand I understand. However, very few riders would embark on a 3 meeting in 3 day tour without assistance of some kind.

This tour has been in the diary all season, plenty enough time to arrange help whether it is from the full time usual mechanic or at least somebody willing to travel to oil chains and help with the driving.

But the sport -certainly at PL level- is really only semi professional in many ways.

Therefore the back up will reflect that. The club /riders (thats any not just Ipswich) cant afford more than that and largely have to rely on goodwiil.

Until that position changes then these situations will continue.

Agree with that, certainly the last bit, a few times he hasn't taken a rider out when he might have done, but his decisions never affected a result. Too much is made about the managers role in speedway, they say Pete Adams is a great manager when Wolves win the league, but they dont call him crap when they finish bottom. Switch the odd reserve, pick 2 riders for heat 15, and chuck in a double when needed. As for the motivational thing, i dont see it, no points = no money, that should be all the motivation a rider needs, especially when half of our team dont have any other income, to the best of my knowledge.

Well clearly not in Rohan Tungate's case and he rather foolishly admitted it!!