British Speedway Forum

Ipswich 2014

It is indeed reassuring to hear from Chris Louis regarding the Australian Witches riders in 2014. There has been a lot of comment on various clubs threads and indeed a dedicated discussion on this forum regarding this seemingly ongoing issue, which does lead you to wonder who is responsible for the errors which have lead to potentially some riders missing out on the forthcoming season.

Whilst it seems some riders are able to sort out their official affairs, some have once again fallen foul of this red-tape. Which would lead the question to be asked that should the sports governing body take more of a lead to ensure that the riders affected do not miss out. Or, should that resposibility remain that of the riders themselves. . .

Yes it is nice for the promotion to come out and say there isn't an issue, but playing devil's advocate now. How do they know for sure that once Tungate re-applies when he gets back into the UK that he will be successful? Only thing for sure we all do know is that he hasn't got a Visa to race in 2014, and will not be lining up for the Witches until a renewal is accepted.

Edited by 2ndbendbeerhut

Yes it is nice for the promotion to come out and say there isn't an issue, but playing devil's advocate now. How do they know for sure that once Tungate re-applies when he gets back into the UK that he will be successful? Only thing for sure we all do know is that he hasn't got a Visa to race in 2014, and will not be lining up for the Witches until a renewal is accepted.

Lost your happy pills mate?! lol

So long as the correct process is followed then no problems.

Relax and prepare to enjoy another season with a young and exciting competetive team.

It is indeed reassuring to hear from Chris Louis regarding the Australian Witches riders in 2014. There has been a lot of comment on various clubs threads and indeed a dedicated discussion on this forum regarding this seemingly ongoing issue, which does lead you to wonder who is responsible for the errors which have lead to potentially some riders missing out on the forthcoming season.

Whilst it seems some riders are able to sort out their official affairs, some have once again fallen foul of this red-tape. Which would lead the question to be asked that should the sports governing body take more of a lead to ensure that the riders affected do not miss out. Or, should that resposibility remain that of the riders themselves. . .

I would say yes, they are in effect self employed and should therefore be responsible. Information is normally only a click or phone call away..

• Like 2

Anyone know if Cam rode in the Jack Young cup yesterday? He was apparently due to, but worryingly he seemed to struggle in the Aussie u21's and pulled out of his final ride..

Hopefully he hasn't had a reaction to the troublesome hand injury he had surgery on before Christmas.

Looking at the results from yesterdays meeting his name is not there. Doesn't say why though

Anyone know if Cam rode in the Jack Young cup yesterday? He was apparently due to, but worryingly he seemed to struggle in the Aussie u21's and pulled out of his final ride..

Hopefully he hasn't had a reaction to the troublesome hand injury he had surgery on before Christmas.

I posted a similar request for info on the Aussie U21 thread but no reply as yet.

Perhaps those that 'do Twitter' could enlighten us as to whether there is anything on there(??)

Edited by dontforgetthefueltapsbruv

He didn't ride in the Jack young cup

Thanks for that - although my question was more specifically about any reaction to his wrist injury.

Didn't he miss several Ipswich meetings through his Sky commitments though? Or is he now giving that up?

I think he only used to miss meetings when Sky had the GP's. He might miss the odd Bank holiday meeting, but I'm sure someone else can fill in a programme, switch the odd reserve around, and chuck two riders in heat 15.

• Like 1

I think he only used to miss meetings when Sky had the GP's. He might miss the odd Bank holiday meeting, but I'm sure someone else can fill in a programme, switch the odd reserve around, and chuck two riders in heat 15.

Think it was more than that, it was league meetings on Sky too but there you go, we'll see.

And I think the managers role is a bit more complex than you've just described.

If it was easy, fans up and down the country wouldn't keep moaning that their team manager has made wrong decisions or "missed a trick" regarding tactical moves.

Taken from http://www.lovespeedway24.co.uk

Ipswich ‘Sackers’ Witches have a new team manager.

And director of speedway at Foxhall, Chris Louis hasn’t had to look too far to find one – he’s going to do it himself.

Louis will be taking over the manager’s role from Pete Simmons who stepped down earlier this month and he admits he will have plenty to learn.

“To be honest I’ve given this a lot of thought after Pete decided to step down,” Louis said.

“I needed to look at who could do a better job than Pete because there was no sense in just standing still. I like to move forwards and I had a few options but I didn’t feel those options were going to take us forward that much.

“It won’t be an easy job and it will be something I will need to grow into. But I know the club better than most and I’ve stood in on a couple of occasions as manager for Ipswich and Mildenhall, so I know a bit of what it’s all about.”

One of the reasons Louis cited for him taking over the mantle was the continuity within the Witches team in 2014.

“Five of the team this year rode last year, so I’m not having to get to know a lot of new riders,” he added.

“I’m really looking forward to working with Ritchie (Hawkins), the new club captain. He’s a great lad and I hope me and him can bounce ideas off each other for the best for the team.”

New No.1 Ritchie Worrall meanwhile – and reserve Adam Ellis – will both be missing from the Witches big Good Friday double header with Peterborough Panthers because both are required to ride for their contracted clubs, Belle Vue and Lakeside respectively.

It is something many Witches fans had feared and had already picked up on.

But Louis says things are in hand.

“I can assure Witches fans I had guests booked for Richie and Adam on the day the fixtures came out,” he said.

“I was aware of the clash and I could have tried to get our home meeting with Peterborough on the Saturday night. But our fans have become used to a Good Friday afternoon meeting and I wanted to continue that – and hopefully many will travel to Peterborough later Good Friday night to support us.”

The Witches season starts on Saturday, March 22, with the Morten Risager Testimonial.

The first Witches team action is on the following Thursday, March 27, at Foxhall, when Rye House Rockets are the visitors in a League Cup clash.

Meanwhile, track staff signing-on night will take place on Thursday March 6, at Ipswich Sports Club, Henley Road, Ipswich, IP1 4NJ. Start time is 7.30pm - Don’t forget to bring a passport-sized photo if you require an official licence.

Think we will see 2 Comets on Good Friday, ;)