British Speedway Forum

Ipswich 2014

Never understood why the team manager doesn't have a dry Wipe Board in the pits with the score on. After all the riders never know it do they!

At Newcastle we have a programme grid blown up to about A2 size in the pits, and the results and scores are written in after every race. It is the centre of attention, as riders and management can talk about each heat and decide tactics.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 4

At Newcastle we have a programme grid blown up to about A2 size in the pits, and the results and scores are written in after every race. It is the centre of attention, as riders and management can talk about each heat and decide tactics.

Yes..... but they are only looking for all the mistakes on it.... ;):P:D

Yes..... but they are only looking for all the mistakes on it.... ;):P:D

Well, don't make so many mistakes then. :P

The riders don't really care what the score is, they are there for themselves, the same as we go to work for someone else.

It is the focal point, and works when there is good team spirit within the team, and with management.

The riders don't really care what the score is, they are there for themselves, the same as we go to work for someone else.

Remember reading that the career of a professional athlete goes through a cycle. It was something along the lines of:

1. When they break into a sport, they just want to compete and improve.

2. When they reach a certain level, their main goal is to get paid as much as possible.

3. As they reach the end of their career and have passed the peak of their earning potential, their main concern is on winning trophies.

So, I guess it depends on the make up of the team, how invested they are in the result.

Edited by AlanF

Good idea by Newcastle to keep everybody informed with a giant scorecard. Over the years through rider interviews at tracks and on telly its apparent that many don't always know the score from race to race but I think its better if they do.

Good idea by Newcastle to keep everybody informed with a giant scorecard. Over the years through rider interviews at tracks and on telly its apparent that many don't always know the score from race to race but I think its better if they do.

I think it depends on the rider, some might buckle under the pressure of a must win heat but if he takes it as' just another race' might do better.

I think it depends on the rider, some might buckle under the pressure of a must win heat but if he takes it as' just another race' might do better.

These boy's should need no further incentive than having a 'Witch' on their chest.....every heat is a must win, lets not leave anything out on that track.........listen up Risager!!!

To whom should I address my application for the vacant team manager position?

Probably fair to say that if they wanted to know the score, they only have to ask the team manager. In my brief experience of being spanner man for an Ipswich rider some years back, it was clear that many riders had no idea of the score and were more interested in how their next gate position was working. The aim is nearly always to score as many points as possible, and knowing the score is unlikely to influence that aim...

• Like 2

Looking bleak for Doyles Visa at the moment, Alex Davies now out of Plymouth team with no Visa and not looking good for Tyson Nelson now, have you guys got the all clear with Rohan and his Visa ?

I believe(see what I did there!)that he will be applying to renew upon his return next month as his doesnt expire til March.

I understand there is a 4 week window to reapply and you have to be in the UK at the time.

Probably fair to say that if they wanted to know the score, they only have to ask the team manager. In my brief experience of being spanner man for an Ipswich rider some years back, it was clear that many riders had no idea of the score and were more interested in how their next gate position was working. The aim is nearly always to score as many points as possible, and knowing the score is unlikely to influence that aim...

I also did spanner for an ex Ipswich rider, and the last thing on his mind was the team score, only in his own performance, what changes to make and like you say, gate position. Very rarely did he watch the racing, mainly just sitting in his pit box am cleaning goggles, things like that.

Surprised no mention of mortens testimonial on the individual and testimonial section.

I believe(see what I did there!)that he will be applying to renew upon his return next month as his doesnt expire til March.

I understand there is a 4 week window to reapply and you have to be in the UK at the time.

Believe !! I like it :)))

Rohan could be okay then

#WEBELIEVE ;)